Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Well said. I've got a couple cars. 2 old Station Wagons, my nice one and my 'beater' and my pick-up truck Silverado. A good friend of mine just bought himself a fancy pickup truck. 2008 Silverado. He's been teasing me for my 96 being a bit long in the tooth, rusty, etc, etc.

Well, I was at a friends house and we were cleaning up the yard. When it came time to haul brush, everyone else didn't want to scratch their truck, or tear up the yard with their 40" tires. Guess who's rusty, trusty truck did the job?

215327_10150171093904330_506159329_6715092_5970199_n.jpg

I wouldn't take it the wrong way. We all got a big laugh out of the headliner falling (after the shock wore off, that is). Of course then I had to think about what it might cost to get it fixed.

I wouldn't consider my Plymouth a "show car" by any means. It's just a nice old car. If I had plenty of big bucks to throw around, then I might like to have something like that, but for me, this old car is just what I need. If it gets a ding or a scratch (or if the headliner falls down) it's not a big deal. If it were a real "show car", I'd be scared to drive it around - then, if you can't drive the things, what's the use in having them?

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Hey Bo peep!!Great looking project and congrats to you and your husband for tackling this ford. Very cool car, went to the link to check out the rest of the pics, good luck on making the time frame for the big show!
Been bombing around in the Plymouth the last few days, we've got the throttle cable installed and it works fantastic! Fiddling around with clutch pedal adjustments last night, it's been sticking to the floor which made for a few interesting "Pops" when the light turned green!!

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Tom, that model truck is one of the most reliable ones Chevrolet ever produced.
Great choice.
I think your friend is jealous, I can see that look....

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks, BourneID. I'm pretty sure I won't get the interior done in time, but I'll throw a cover on the front seat and skip the rest. lol Not too excited about having "patina" sprinkle down into my curls, but oh well.

AtomicEraTom, you're coming to the Symco Shakedown, right? www.symcoshakedown.com Bring something older than 1964 though (traditional hot rod show). Be sure to stop at the bandshell for the pin-up contest. I'll be working back there!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Well said. I've got a couple cars. 2 old Station Wagons, my nice one and my 'beater' and my pick-up truck Silverado. A good friend of mine just bought himself a fancy pickup truck. 2008 Silverado. He's been teasing me for my 96 being a bit long in the tooth, rusty, etc, etc.

Well, I was at a friends house and we were cleaning up the yard. When it came time to haul brush, everyone else didn't want to scratch their truck, or tear up the yard with their 40" tires. Guess who's rusty, trusty truck did the job?

215327_10150171093904330_506159329_6715092_5970199_n.jpg
hey Tom, that's the truck that I pulled a motor from for my Plymouth project......so far so good!!

BoPeep...post some pics if you're posing in the pinup contest!!! At least take some pics of the cars for us!!

Last edited:
I love my truck, got a good deal on it. Traded a Crown Vic squad car I paid 1600 bucks for. She's very reliable, that 350 Vortec is a dandy. The only time she gave me trouble engine-wise, I ended up under her in 2 feet of snow putting a starter in.

Tom, that model truck is one of the most reliable ones Chevrolet ever produced.
Great choice.
I think your friend is jealous, I can see that look....

I am almost positive I will be there. I don't have a pre-64 car to bring, at the time. Don't trust the old Flathead that far at this time!
AtomicEraTom, you're coming to the Symco Shakedown, right? www.symcoshakedown.com Bring something older than 1964 though (traditional hot rod show). Be sure to stop at the bandshell for the pin-up contest. I'll be working back there!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I love my truck, got a good deal on it. Traded a Crown Vic squad car I paid 1600 bucks for. She's very reliable, that 350 Vortec is a dandy. The only time she gave me trouble engine-wise, I ended up under her in 2 feet of snow putting a starter in.

My starter left me high and dry Friday afternoon, had to get her rollin down the parking lot and pop the clutch!!!! New starter going in today with a heat sheild for added protection!!1

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks Gregg. And glad to hear you're coming, AtomicEraTom! I'm not going to be in the pin-up contest, BourneID, as I'm in charge of it. One month out and so much to do yet! Yikes! You can view the contestants here www.misssymco.com and I'll try to get some event pics posted too! Sorry to derail the thread a bit. :eek: Carry on...

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
There's a gentleman that drives this Bel Air around town. Its his regular everyday car. Its by no means a pristine show car, but looks like it runs like a dream.

belair.jpg

p51

One Too Many
I got my 1944 Willys MB Jeep over to a local airshow display recently, it’s the nearest Jeep in the photo (other than the hood in the foreground):

MVlineup.jpg

Last weekend I decided to take it out for a spin as I drove it next to none over the winter. I was just going to make a short loop around the “downtown” area of the small town I live in, but the weather was so good and the Jeep running well, I went over twice the distance before I turned around and headed back. It’s always neat to see kids wave at you and people do double-takes when they see a WW2 vehicle going down the road! But anyone with a vehicle likes this understands the concept of a “good vehicle day” where the weather and the vehicle both cooperate. Doesn’t matter if your vehicle is completely restored, either. A buddy who restored his Jeep to as-new condition had more problems than anyone I’ve even known, and he eventually sold it in disgust. Some vehicles are simply cantankerous.
I hear you on that. Where I live, many of these expensive trucks never even see a PHOTO of dirt, let alone leave any paved roads. I’ll never understand why they bought a truck in those cases. My first vehicle was a 1974 F-100 custom pickup with the ‘big six’ engine. The thing got horrible gas mileage and was a bear to park (long as a supertanker, no power steering of course), but what annoyed me most of all was all the people who just assumed I’d help them move because I owned a truck. I did help a friend of mine move once, but developed a long list of rotating excuses. People wouldn’t even ask, they’d just TELL me I was going to help them as if they were doing me some sort of favor. There was never a mention of compensation on my part, nobody even offered to pay gas! After a few times of this, I grabbed a stack of business cards from the local Hertz rental place and kept them in my wallet. When people would say they were going to move (clearly building up to how I could help them), I would cut them off by handing them one of the cards, saying, “You should call these folks, they have everything for that,” then quickly walking off, leaving them stupefied. years later, I saw a bumper sticker I wish I’d had when I owned the truck that said, “YES this is my truck, NO I won’t help you move!”

I have the opposite problem, usually. This is truck country, everyone has one. However, I also have two station wagons, if it comes to hauling PEOPLE, everyone's Tom's best friend! lol

I hear you on that. Where I live, many of these expensive trucks never even see a PHOTO of dirt, let alone leave any paved roads. I’ll never understand why they bought a truck in those cases. My first vehicle was a 1974 F-100 custom pickup with the ‘big six’ engine. The thing got horrible gas mileage and was a bear to park (long as a supertanker, no power steering of course), but what annoyed me most of all was all the people who just assumed I’d help them move because I owned a truck. I did help a friend of mine move once, but developed a long list of rotating excuses. People wouldn’t even ask, they’d just TELL me I was going to help them as if they were doing me some sort of favor. There was never a mention of compensation on my part, nobody even offered to pay gas! After a few times of this, I grabbed a stack of business cards from the local Hertz rental place and kept them in my wallet. When people would say they were going to move (clearly building up to how I could help them), I would cut them off by handing them one of the cards, saying, “You should call these folks, they have everything for that,” then quickly walking off, leaving them stupefied. years later, I saw a bumper sticker I wish I’d had when I owned the truck that said, “YES this is my truck, NO I won’t help you move!”

Talbot

One Too Many
Lots of trim pieces on those longroofs are specific to that model only. Very hard to find.

Nice looking car, but call me biassed....

chevy1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112