Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving in a suit or sport coat: Jacket off or on (and buttoned or un-buttoned)?

Do you take off your jacket/coat before driving?

• Yes, it always comes off.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No, and I keep it buttoned.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • No, and I un-button it.

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Sometimes on, sometimes off...

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
One of my early experiences at a high end mens store in the 1990s was when I went back complaining about the lining coming unstitched when I'd sit in my car. Also I'd complain about how uncomfortable it was to just reach the steering wheel because of how the jacket would tug at my shoulders.

The told me outright several times that i should take my jacket off when I get into a car, and I was befuddled.

A man's jacket is not just an item of fashion, it above all else is an item of utility, and once it loses that... well we've lost ourselves to fashion and fashion alone. Working out all the details that make a good jacket functional and fashionable should be the duty of menswear stores like that one that disappointed me so long ago. They have since upgraded their wears with the new revival of gentleman's fashion that we have seen occur over the last 10 years.

I just remember stating over and over again to the salesman ant the tailor in the shop that "If the president doesn't have to remove his jacket, I shouldn't have to either!"

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Most of the year it's too hot for me to wear even a light sport jacket, more's the pity. If for some reason I have to wear one -- a more formal event, a job interview -- I'll hang it up on the hook above one of the rear doors of the car, then put it on when I get out.

In actual cool-to-cold weather, if I'm wearing a tweed jacket, I'm not worried about wrinkles. The question is, whether the car has warmed up too much for me to feel comfortable wearing it during my drive. If I do leave it on, I unbutton it.

If it's really cold, topcoat weather, I usually unbutton the topcoat after I get into the seat, unbutton the jacket, and refasten at least one topcoat button. Then the seat belt goes on atop that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24