Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drowning My Akubra Squatter

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Recently, I was discussing my new Akubra Squatter in this thread. I had tried to bash it by hand and it didn't turn out how I wanted. A few fellow Loungers (jazzncocktails, Daoud, CRH) gave me some great tips on using water and steam (technically water too) to bash it properly. I decided to take pics along the way and create this thread to share my experience. I have never bashed a hat with water before. This Squatter came in a pork pie shape that was hard to get rid of. So, I started by running the hat under cold water in the tub:
IMG00200.jpg

After that I used a bowl that fit the crown remarkably well and got it into an open shape to start with. Here it is right out of the tub though..

IMG00203.jpg

Sorry I didn't get a pic of the open crown. Next, I shaped it into a basic style with my hands. As I did that I worked out some of the water, mainly in the brim, by squeezing and wringing it out with my hands. This hat can definitely take it. I used steam to get the side dents to stay put:

IMG00204.jpg

And here are a couple pics of the finished piece. I'll update this thread tomorrow with pictures of it after drying overnight.

IMG00206.jpg

IMG00207.jpg

Like I said, this was my first time bashing a hat in this manner. I was a bit apprehensive, but I think it turned out very nice. I think the center dents are more pronounced now, and the top is the way I wanted it. I encourage anyone to try doing this themselves at least once. It took all of 15 minutes and was a lot of fun. I feel a personal connection to the hat now, because I shaped it to my specifications! I hope this gives some folks the inspiration to try this with their own hats if they haven't already (which I'm sure most of you have). Thanks for reading! Comments/Criticisms are appreciated, just not on my grammar!

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Outstanding work, in my estimation! See, it's easy, fun and rewarding! And just think- David Morgan charges $20.00 to do that, plus postage both ways, I imagine. It really looks good. And it showed you that these Akubras aren't delicate flowers by any means. Dr. Thompson would offer you his congratulations, along with a hit of adrenochrome or Ibogaine.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Adrenochrome for me, thanks! I always wondered how true that whole story about the gland was. Anyway, thanks for the compliment! And yes, very fun and rewarding. I couldn't be more pleased with this hat. Here is a pic of it, mostly dry.
IMG00215.jpg

It dried VERY quick. I set in the bathroom with the heater on. I'll still let it set up overnight.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I do that with all my vintage lids

To remove the old creases ... I actually give a warm bath in soapy water using ivory brand 99.9% pure bar soap ... then rinse thoroughly in cold water ... but I never wring it :eek: .. I just block it on a huge mason jar that I found in the back of a kitchen cupboard that measures around 22.25" around and I have a lens that's from an old photo enlarger that I used as a paperweight & I just let it air dry naturally.

EDIT TO ADD : Then if I have to I treat the leather sweatband with Lexol ... I didn't have to to in this case ... Ivory Bar Soap is very close to saddle soap

The first lid I tested on was my Resistol Saddler, a OR clone & it worked beautifully
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Silverchair - Straight Lines
via FoxyTunes

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mr_Misanthropy said:

Sorry I didn't get a pic of the open crown. ...
And here are a couple pics of the finished piece. I'll update this thread tomorrow with pictures of it after drying overnight.

IMG00206.jpg

IMG00207.jpg

... I feel a personal connection to the hat now, because I shaped it to my specifications! ...

You really do own this hat now!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have to remember open crown shots, myself - and measurements. This crowd always wants this info.

We could use some more Squatter pics in Akubra Overload too if you wouldn't mind?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
When I get a hat with an ugly crease, I fill it with water, and set it upside down in the bathtub. That "blocks" it out pretty well.

I need to get around to getting me one of those hatshapers blank hat blocks...or make one myself out of wood...

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Fatdutchman said:
When I get a hat with an ugly crease, I fill it with water, and set it upside down in the bathtub. That "blocks" it out pretty well.

I need to get around to getting me one of those hatshapers blank hat blocks...or make one myself out of wood...

I used to do what you're describing, Mr. Dutchman. Now I use steam. The differences:

You get extremely small water droplets penetrating the felt pretty quickly, vs waiting for water to soak through.

You soften any stiffener immediately, vs...who knows? I'm not sure how soaking affects the stiffener, but it ain't the same. It will overcome the stiffener in any case, just a question of time.

With steaming, you can plop the warmed-up hat on your head and wear it until totally dry and a perfect fit in many cases in 15 minutes vs maybe a half day. You can make re-adjustments and see how they work out, and fix them again, without waiting until the next day.

Believe me, I know soaking works. Did it many times. I steam now for a reason. Haven't found anything I could do with soaking that I couldn't do faster and easier with steam, accompanied sometimes with pressing against a shaper like a curved glass or bottle to smooth out irregularities.

Caveat: If it might possibly ever shrink and it is on the small side, you want to keep it farther from the teakettle spout and hold it there longer so you get the moisture but not much heat. If it's very resistant to shrinkage or a bit on the large size, you can put it closer and use both heat and moisture without fear.

Addendum to Caveat: If it's just a tad too small, you can use heat plus moisture and then very promptly jam it far deep onto your head to stretch it, sweatband permitting!

Really, I know it's counterintuitive, like getting something for nothing.

- Bill

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:

Caveat: If it might possibly ever shrink and it is on the small side, you want to keep it farther from the teakettle spout and hold it there longer so you get the moisture but not much heat. If it's very resistant to shrinkage or a bit on the large size, you can put it closer and use both heat and moisture without fear.

Just picking out the good stuff. Thanks for the masterful advice.

However... The best creases I have ever made were made after pulling the hat, on my head or off, out of a river or lake and noodling it while around the camp fire. Maybe I need to get over these romantic memories or maybe not [huh].

Woodfluter

Practically Family
CRH said:
Just picking out the good stuff. Thanks for the masterful advice.

However... The best creases I have ever made were made after pulling the hat, on my head or off, out of a river or lake and noodling it while around the camp fire. Maybe I need to get over these romantic memories or maybe not [huh].

Well, that's good too! Maybe better...who knows what mysterious elements are in that river or lake water...anyway, it does allow for the hand of fate and maybe more character.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
Well, that's good too! Maybe better...who knows what mysterious elements are in that river or lake water...anyway, it does allow for the hand of fate and maybe more character.

I've learned to use steam for maintenance and touch ups like to revive a tired brim. I never tried steam before finding the lounge.

My Campdraft took a decent frumple dry but I started with an open crown - my first. We all agree that previously creased hats probably will need more coaxing.

Now back to the campfire... hand of fate.... more character. Hmmm... how about "stupid crease tricks". Apparently some folks think it's fun to sit around and watch a fellow squeeze some character(s) into a frumpy old hat... and me being the ham I am, well....... :D.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I've dipped hats in the tub before. I'm hesitant to do this to vintage hats, because, well, most of the ones I get ahold of have fairly stiff sweatbands. Plus I don't want 'em to shrink as I've got a big long oval head. I dipped both federations. My brown federation sat in the tub for about 15 minutes in frigid water. It was a bit tapered beforehand and had an ugly bash. The bath pretty much fixed it, but it DID shrink a little. [huh]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
UWS Cowboy said:
I've dipped hats in the tub before. I'm hesitant to do this to vintage hats, because, well, most of the ones I get ahold of have fairly stiff sweatbands. ...[huh]

Some hats are better off worn to death than preserved. We all pick and choose...

Wil Tam

Practically Family
UWS Cowboy said:
I'm hesitant to do this to vintage hats, because, well, most of the ones I get a hold of have fairly stiff sweatbands. Plus I don't want 'em to shrink as I've got a big long oval head. I dipped both federations.

I treat mine with some Lexol neatsfoot then use Lexol leather conditioner on them... works beautifully & rejuvenates the leather to a nice suppleness after a few treatments & wearings.

----------------
Now playing: Beatles, the - Baby You're a Rich Man
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner