Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry aging beef

rumblefish

One Too Many
If you've got a little nerve, patience, and a spot in your refrigerator that will remain around 35 degrees Fahrenheit, then give this a try. What you're doing is really just drying the roast a bit to concentrate the flavors. Little is done to break down muscle fibers and you probably won't get that real steak-house flavor you'd expect from Peter Luger.
I've done this with thick-cut Porterhouse, T-bones, rib roasts, and venison (leg steaks and backstraps especially).
This will never take the place of professionally aged meat, but it can turn that $4.99 per pound rib roast into something special.

4 bone rib roast
Unrap the meat and tie it as if you were to put it right into the oven. Put a few chopsticks at the bottom of a container, plastic or ceramic, that has plenty of room around it so the meat doesn't touch the sides. Lay the roast on the sticks. They are there to keep the meat from touching the bottom of the container allowing for best circulation.
Here it is just before it goes into the container.
DSC03421.jpg

Put whatever lid you want on the container but leave it opened enough to allow you to get a hand in. A covering of paper towel is fine, this is how it drys. Put it in the refrigerator, checking on it every day. Some juice may drip to the bottom of the container, just dry it up with a paper towel. Make sure the fridge is cold enough and whatever moisture collects is gotten rid of.
Here it is after one week. Just starting to get an aged smell to it, and shrinking up quite a bit.
DSC03483.jpg

Now after 12 days, ready for bringing to room temperature and seasoning.
DSC03519.jpg

Seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper.
DSC03522.jpg

And done; Roasted at 325 F to an internal temp of 125 F, then let sit for
about 30 min.
DSC03534.jpg

A little more done than I like, but we have guests to think of...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks beautiful Chris, I'm bloody sad I wasn't there to enjoy it!

Although strictly a Christmas dish, I'm going to have a crack at curing a lamb side in order to make Norwegian pinnekjøtt. The better half missed it this year what with being in Oz, and with us having just moved into a new place I have a nice dry, cool area to cure it in. I'll post some pics and what have you when I do it.

Once again, mighty jealous Chris :essen:

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Well Done!!!

Or rather perfectly medium rare/rare.

I have been dry aging my own beef for several years now, and there is absolutely nothing like it for a decadent special occasion dinner.

Cheers,

RC

dr greg

One Too Many
black jack

A famous restaurant in Sydney apparently used to leave the beef sitting in the fridges until it went BLACK all around that's dry black not rotting black, which took a couple of weeks, then cut off the outer layers to reveal the still-worthy meat inside and then fry away.....or so they tell me, and it was a popular joint (hahah I like a pun)

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
That roast looks FINE! Now all you need is a bottle of a great Rhone wine like a really nice Gigondas and you are all set.

LordBest

Practically Family
Very impressive, I had always intended to try doing this, but then we found a butcher with their own farm who do it for you so I haven't had to learn.

dnjan

One Too Many
dr greg said:
A famous restaurant in Sydney apparently used to leave the beef sitting in the fridges until it went BLACK all around that's dry black not rotting black, which took a couple of weeks, then cut off the outer layers to reveal the still-worthy meat inside and then fry away.....or so they tell me, and it was a popular joint (hahah I like a pun)
Living on a farm in my youth, we would take our freshly-butchered steer into a local meat locker (butcher, cold-storage), and then bring it back home in sections to cut-up, wrap and freeze.
I remember seeing sides of beef hanging there with a layer of "fur" (I assumed it was mold) covering it. I was told that this tenderized the meat. There was a purple stamp on the side that said '"USDA Inspected Choice".

Given the time it would take to store the meat, plus the cost of trimming off the "fur", I understand why the meat was so expensive.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
All of this reminds me of hanging pheasants which we did on the families' farms after shooting. For those not in the know, you hang pheasant by the neck generally for around a week or so. But my dear, old grandfather was a real classic and would hang them until they dropped and declared that they weren't ready for eating until they did. I'll let your imaginations work out how that happens but needless to say that is very, very well hung. Tad long for my tastes but he wouldn't have it any other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner