Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duluth Trading Co - AWOL Bag

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
A tool bag would probably hold up better, they have a number of them like the machinest's bag and the Czech plumbers bag.

Thanks, John: That's exactly what I'm using right now. For "down-scale" use it's just fine: nice and traditional, and works. But for the more "up-scale" stuff (double in a leather case, vs. Model 1912....) I was thinking of a more matching ammo bag.

"Skeet"

Most range bags are constructed to take enormous weight with heavy duty build and stitching. I figure a luggage piece would probably be overstressed, although one might be able to re-enforce an existing bag.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Dear Colonel,
I'm thinking the Duluth bag MIGHT be a nice range bag to throw my shells into when headed out to the range. But, as I'm sure you can imagine, a couple hundred rounds, even of 28g, is pretty heavy.

You won't be held to answer for it if you guess wrong, it goes without saying: but do you think the Duluth bag would hold up under that kind of use?

Thanks in advance,
"Skeet"[/QUOTE]
I'm heading out the door in a few minutes, but when I get back, I'll take another look at it with that in mind. Specifically, I want to see how stiff the bottom floor is. I could load a bunch of ammo in it to see how it does and let you know. For that sort of thing though, I'd probably be looking at something made for it from Holland Brothers - http://shopmulholland.com/catalog.htm?Category=Sport

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Colonel said:
I'm heading out the door in a few minutes, but when I get back, I'll take another look at it with that in mind. Specifically, I want to see how stiff the bottom floor is. I could load a bunch of ammo in it to see how it does and let you know. For that sort of thing though, I'd probably be looking at something made for it from Holland Brothers - http://shopmulholland.com/catalog.htm?Category=Sport

Thanks, Colonel! I'm familiar with the Mulholland products....for my taste, the ammo carriers are not sufficiently traditional, although I'm sure they're very well made...AND VERY PRICEY, to boot!

My father-in-law's range ammo bag--which I'm sure he's been carrying since the 1950s--and that's hard-wearing enough for me, seeing as he shoots several times a week :)--is not really heavily constructed at all: just of good, heavy, harness leather, well sewn: one thickness all the way 'round. He's in Michigan, and I'm in Massachusetts...or I'd send a picture.

I'd be grateful for your considered opinion; also, whether you think putting a "second floor" into the bottom would improve matters.

With thanks in advance,
"Skeet"

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
it might be possible to cut and trim a piece of plywood & Maybe wrap it in a felt material to slip into the bottom to stiffen it up and spread the load.
Thanks for the thought, John: as you'll see by comparing time-stamps, we were both writing at the same time. Great minds, as they say...

"Skeet"

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
As requested....

Colonel said:
Skeet - I just realized you said "28 gauge" ammo. Wow, my congratulations on owning one of the classics! The 28 gauge is truly a Gentleman's gun. I would assume it is a side-by-side double? Any more info, any photos?

Dear Colonel,
Such details as there are are here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=772397&postcount=3

I'll try to put up some pictures, if you're interested.

"Skeet"

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
Skeet,

Mulholland makes a range bag I have drooled over. The best price I have found is at Cabelas. My guess is that it should haul eight boxes of shells. And mine are all 12ga. I can't get the link to work right, but the relevant info is as follows:

Mulholland Brothers Field Sport Doctor's Sporting Clays Bag

Item:2UG-221392

$299.99

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Edw8ri said:
Skeet,

Mulholland makes a range bag I have drooled over. The best price I have found is at Cabelas. My guess is that it should haul eight boxes of shells. And mine are all 12ga. I can't get the link to work right, but the relevant info is as follows:

Mulholland Brothers Field Sport Doctor's Sporting Clays Bag

Item:2UG-221392

$299.99

Dear Edw8ri, Yes, that's just the ticket...although still at a hefty price! Undoubtedly it is well constructed. Thank you so much for pointing me towards it....perhaps I'll succumb!

Shoot straight!

"Skeet"

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I checked my AWOL bag, and my guess is that it probably would not be a good choice for carrying shotgun shells. As was suggested, a thin plywood bottom added to it might do the trick though. The bag itself should have no problem at all standing up to the weight - it is very well constructed - very sturdy. The bottom would have too much flex to carry heavy weight though. In normal use, the bottom rests on four large brass buttons. With a heavy load, I think the center would sway down below the buttons and cause wear that I would not want to see there. I doubt that it would fail, as in break, but I would not be satisfied with the shape of it when carrying a load.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I can second the Colonel's recommendation of the Duluth bag. I've carried mine for years, and I've never had a problem with it. Only gotten compliments. The zipper is a bit on the cheap side as far as looks are concerned, but it has held up very very well. It's also less likely to cause tears in some clothes, which I've noticed with brass zippers.

If I lost mine, I'd also do whatever I could to replace it, despite the price. Perfect size for an overnight bag.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm looking for a bag that's similar to this style, but a bit less pricey---not that $200 is expensive, but it's out of my price range at the moment.
I found one on Ebay that will work, but I'm wondering what other options are out there.
I'm taking a solo trip to North Carolina for a few days at the end of October, and I want to travel light as I'm taking a bus (or a train if there is one), and I'd love a cool looking bag to take with me!

bucketboss

New in Town
Range bag

Skeet,

I have just what your looking for. I had made the Czech Plumbers bag for Duluth Trading and I have a bunch lying around that they rejected because of the inside veg tanned leather being too "rough". They really get picky sometimes as the bags are just fine in my opinion. They are the customer though and I have about 50 of them sitting here. I loaded up one to take the the club with 2 3/4" 20 ga. and it fits approx 200 rounds (16 boxes). It is heavy but the straps and handle have no problem carrying it.

I can sell them at $75 and they are all leather (same as my awol bag) but unlined. Let me know if you are interested. I cannot PM yet as I haven't posted enough here.

I'll try to get a picture up with it loaded with shells.

Dave F.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
bucketboss said:
Skeet,

I have just what your looking for. I had made the Czech Plumbers bag for Duluth Trading and I have a bunch lying around that they rejected because of the inside veg tanned leather being too "rough". They really get picky sometimes as the bags are just fine in my opinion. They are the customer though and I have about 50 of them sitting here. I loaded up one to take the the club with 2 3/4" 20 ga. and it fits approx 200 rounds (16 boxes). It is heavy but the straps and handle have no problem carrying it.

I can sell them at $75 and they are all leather (same as my awol bag) but unlined. Let me know if you are interested. I cannot PM yet as I haven't posted enough here.

I'll try to get a picture up with it loaded with shells.

Dave F.

Hi Dave, Welcome to the lounge!

I would be very interested in a Czech Plumbers bag second. I'm sure a bunch of us would be. Once you get PM privileges, you should put an ad up in the classifieds. I bet we will take them off your hands right quick. :)

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Me Too!

bucketboss said:
Skeet,

I had made the Czech Plumbers bag for Duluth Trading and I have a bunch lying around that they rejected because of the inside veg tanned leather being too "rough". I can sell them at $75 and they are all leather (same as my awol bag) but unlined. Let me know if you are interested. I cannot PM yet as I haven't posted enough here.

Dave F.

I'm interested too, they sound great! :eusa_clap Can't wait for pix!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112