Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb question about red hair!

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
I have medium to dark brown hair. I'm really thinking about dying it red, however, one of my favorite colors to wear is purple (in all shades). Do you think red hair clashes with purple? Can red heads wear purple?

edited to say not a crayon red, but not auburn either. Probably something in between.

zombi

A-List Customer
I'm a redhead and I wear purple all the time. It looks better than fine -- it looks great! (of course, what colors you personally look good in depends on more than just your hair color!)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
My hair is currently red and I haven't let that change the colours in my wardrobe at all (usually dark blonde/mouse) - my clothes (red, pink, blue, black mostly) flatter my skin, and my shade of red flatters my skin, so my hair and clothes don't clash.

Purple with red hair looks awesome.

Exhibit A
Christina-Hendricks-Red-Book-Photoshoot-christina-hendricks-9107498-300-400.jpg

Exhibit B
Isla%20Fisher%203.jpg

McVolke

New in Town
I'm a redhead too and although I find purple to be a nice color I won't touch it with a 10 ft. pole. Not because of my hair color, because of my skin color. Pale, lots of freckles and ever so slightly sallow. I would think if you look good in purple your hair color won't make a big difference. Good luck.

M

member 19219

i'm a redhead, and I wear purple all the time, but only the strong colours, not the muted ones. That has, however, like Mcvolke points out, everything to do with my complexion.
The only colour I'm staying far away of is pink *shudder*

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
All kinds of jewel tones can look great with red hair. One of my favorite sweaters is a deep amethyst purple, and I get compliments on how good the color looks on me. So, yes--some redheads can wear purple.

At a party a few weeks ago, I was talking to a woman with naturally red hair and one of our friends suggested she wear something red. She was absolutely aghast and convinced she couldn't do it. She looked at me and asked if I would wear red. I told her no one wears red like a redhead. Our mutual friend laughed and told her that seeing me without any red was actually the exception rather than the rule.

If you like the way it looks, wear it. If you don't or it makes you feel self-conscious, it's probably not for you.

K.McG

New in Town
It does require a fair bit of upkeep, Sulfate free shampoos and so on. Red fades quickly, but is a pain to cover up or remove, short of dying your hair a dark colour or cutting it. I like to go the route of cold water washing, and maybe washing twice a week. I want to look into dry shampoos as well, never used them before, any suggestions?

throughya89

New in Town
Hi ladies,
I'm a brand new here and have a question abt dying my hair red, which is adorable color and I'm able to take all kind of risks just to find the best shade and keep it vivid :rolleyes:
My natural color is dark brown but I used to dye it lighter (dark or medium gold blond). Last time I chose a reddish hair dye No. 7.45 but it turns brown, almost nothing to do with red. But I do want to achieve a nice red color, preferably not very dark or in the violet shades. How can I do it? What would it happen in case that I use 8.45 (or other red shade, hope you could advise me which one :) ) with 30 vol peroxide?

Thank you in advance
and have a nice day!

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
i'm a redhead, and I wear purple all the time, but only the strong colours, not the muted ones. That has, however, like Mcvolke points out, everything to do with my complexion.
The only colour I'm staying far away of is pink *shudder*
That's exactly what I thought as I read this post. When I had red hair, I made sure to not wear pastels and especially not pink. I love pink, but felt I'd look like a walking Valentine card.

throughya89

New in Town
One of the photos is taken from here (another redhead topic), the girl has gorgeus red hair, I love it!
I wish to know which red is possible to achieve from dark hair with no bleaching the natural dark roots :)
mafk92.png

kthg1.png

33molj4.png

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
It does require a fair bit of upkeep, Sulfate free shampoos and so on. Red fades quickly, but is a pain to cover up or remove, short of dying your hair a dark colour or cutting it. I like to go the route of cold water washing, and maybe washing twice a week. I want to look into dry shampoos as well, never used them before, any suggestions?
I've used the spray and powder types. I didn't care for the one by Klorane. I think that's better for light color hair as it leaves a white residue if you're not extra careful. I use the powder type by Lulu Organics, and I've checked out the new one, No Drought, by LUSH. It seems promising. I also like the spray one by Oscar Blandi. The Lulu has a light weight consistency and smells nice, and the Blandi spray has a light mist and nice scent.
There's one at drugstores that is supposed to be great and cheap. Sorry I can't remember the name at this moment.

swinggal

One Too Many
A few tips from someone who has dyed their hair red for 20 years:

- I find Garnier permanent colours last the longest (beleive me, I have tried them all)
- each time you dye it, make sure you don't use hot water to wash out the new dye
- try to wash your hair in cold or warm water only, hot water strips the colour

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran