Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DUXFORD 'FLYING LEGENDS' AIRSHOW 2007

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Well, not only did I make my now annual pilgrimage to Duxfords 'Flying Legends' airshow, but I actually managed to talk my wife into coming as well !! Glad to report that she genuinely enjoyed it. If you've been to this show before then I'm preaching to the converted - if you haven't, then you're missing out on one of the finest aerial experiences this side of WW2.

It would take me far too long to describe in detail everything on show, and on offer - suffice it to say that apart from the amazing array of aircraft which are flown brilliantly by some outstanding pilots, there are dozens of traders there ( mostly of course with an aviation bias !!!) including Eastman Leathers. I was unable to leave their tent without two items of headgear which seduced me, namely a type A3 HBT mechanics cap and a type B2 winter shearling flight cap. I might post a pic of them soon.
And Paddy, I did ask Garry Eastman if you were around but as I've since learned, you didn't go this year so we've still to meet !!

Heaps to see and do while waiting for the flying to start - the American Air Museum, the Land Warfare Hall, pleasure flights in a Dragon Rapide or a Tiger Moth. Though on over two days, Sat and Sun, I attended only on the Sunday. Unusually, the show began with an awesome display by an F18 fighter from the US base at Lakenheath. The speed, acceleration, climb rate and maneuverability of this bird has to be seen to be believed , and the sound !!!! Incredible !

Of course the crowd were there to see WW2 aircraft and I dont think anyone left there disappointed at what they saw. Every year sees a DVD produced of the show, so if you can't be there in person then get at least a taste of what it's all about by buying the DVD.

Here are just a few pics.

airshow023.jpg
[/IMG]

airshow017.jpg

airshow034.jpg
[/IMG]

spitfireCRS.jpg
[/IMG]

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
More Pics

Some more pics - I like the Spitfire with twin, contra-rotating props !! Apparently it climbs rather well !!

airshow045.jpg
[/IMG]

airshow044.jpg
[/IMG]

airshow042.jpg
[/IMG]

airshow030.jpg
[/IMG]

airshow025.jpg
[/IMG]

airshow022.jpg
[/IMG]

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks for sharing your photos, silhouette53! :eusa_clap

Why is it that Flying Legends always come when I have no money and the tickets to England are expensive? :( One day I'll be there... one day.

Btw: Did the Fw 190 fly or was it just static?

Flieger

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Bringing back memories...

I saw the Flying Legends show in 1998, shortly after arriving at RAFs Alconbury/Molesworth. An incredible show, indeed! And the finale, with just about every aircraft there flying by... what a sound! I've got dozens of photos of that show.

Later I took a buddy and his son (my godson) to the museums when they came for a visit. Not to be missed!

(Slight correction, Silhouette, on a typo: RAF Lakenheath flies F-16, IIRC. The Navy flew the F-18.)

Cheers,
Tom
(Who can't believe it's been 9 years since he arrived in England! Gad, where does the time go?)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks or sharing Silhouette53 - looks like a great adventure.
I have been to FL twice and I had planned to go this time too - but an incomming job spoiled it. Well - next year![huh]
(Maybe we could even arange a small scandinavian group? Flieger, Smithy, Speedster, BT a.o.????)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was due to book into my room at Alconbury, but...

...things just didn't work out and it's a long haul from the Scottish borders down to Cambs with accomodation in doubt [huh]

Maybe September (and then can give the Irvin and airing!!:eusa_clap

Any photos of the other boys from TFL or VLJ there?

Photos of the Eastman Tent...?

matei

One Too Many
I went last year, it was a really great experience. I took me aul fella, who enjoyed it immensely.

We would've gone this year as well, but we were in Paris.

I would've liked to see the FW-190, it is one of my favourite planes.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely fantastic photos and many thanks for taking them silhouette53 :eusa_clap

And count me in Spitty! Even my fiancée loves airshows so she'll want ot come as well.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Glad you all like the pics, I must admit I'm no photographer - just point, shoot and hope for the best LOL. The FW190 didn't fly, it was apparently supposed to be taxiing around but didn't even get to do that for whatever reason. I will certainly try to attend the Spitfire day on 5th August and maybe we could arrange a little gathering of loungers. 'Fraid I'm without any RAF gear :eusa_doh: but I'm sure all the Irvin guys won't object to me tagging along in my limited selection of USAAF gear :)

I haven't met any loungers 'in the flesh' so really wouldn't have recognised anyone at Duxford had they been there, (with the notable exception of your good self Paddy !! ) maybe if there is to be even a small gathering in September we should all wear a small 'FL' sticker and hang around the ELC tent at a pre-arranged time ? lol

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
silhouette53 said:
Glad you all like the pics, I must admit I'm no photographer - just point, shoot and hope for the best LOL. The FW190 didn't fly, it was apparently supposed to be taxiing around but didn't even get to do that for whatever reason. I will certainly try to attend the Spitfire day in September and maybe we could arrange a little gathering of loungers. 'Fraid I'm without any RAF gear :eusa_doh: but I'm sure all the Irvin guys won't object to me tagging along in my limited selection of USAAF gear :)

I haven't met any loungers 'in the flesh' so really wouldn't have recognised anyone at Duxford had they been there, (with the notable exception of your good self Paddy !! ) maybe if there is to be even a small gathering in September we should all wear a small 'FL' sticker and hang around the ELC tent at a pre-arranged time ? lol

Sounds like a great idear. What's the september show like - never been to it myself. Is it just as big as FL?

Who knows - we might even get the Scandianvian group "in action" in september instead of next year. What do you all say?

number6

Familiar Face
Duxford

Great pic's , thanks for sharing them here . I was there too , a great day .
Got to sit in the front seat of 2 seat a trainer Spitfire, what a treat. The money they charged for this went to the Blenheim restoration fund . It is a great show , well worth the effort.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Wonderful pics... that Spitfire in-flight photo would be wonderful framed, hanging on a wall.

I may just use it as my computer wallpaper!

(with your permission, of course)

silhouette53

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner