Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyeing leather jacket

dakmary

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I received my lovely jacket from Thedi. I have two questions

1- what do you think about the fit? Too loose ?

IMG_20231122_225748.jpg

IMG_20231122_225924.jpg
IMG_20231122_230012.jpg

2- I love the leather used in the jacket. It's Aniline leather, but I find the color a bit dull. I want to make it a bit more Reddish. I got a tube of Saphir Canadian cream (red color), and tried it on the inside of the jacket and I love the outcome. Shall I go ahead and apply the cream to the rest of the jacket? Although, Saphir Canadian is made for jacket and large leather items, I'm a bit worried. Anyone tried it before?

Screenshot_20231122_231000.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Don't over think it and just keep wearing it for a while.

Move the camera back at least a few feet and crop out the background, photo is taken at too close range and low point to tell. But shoulder fits so you're good to go.

Also please don't attempt the re-dye or the glazing. It isn't as easy as it sounds for at home jobs. Unless you moonlight as a professional painter. Aniline leather always starts a bit dull but picks up character quite fast. The leather also looks very new and needs a bit of break in to drape too.

And congrats on your new jacket.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
That jcket will look amazing and not at all dull once broken in and worn a bit, please do not try to dye it - If you do so, I can only see a future in which a couple of days from now you update this thread with pictures of a ruined jacket.

edit - oh yes, and congrats on your new jacket, it looks great

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Maybe you've already partially ruined the jacket by adding dye to the inside. Stay away from it, as already mentioned, wear the jacket and it will hug your body and develop a beautiful patina.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
honestly I think the jacket looks a bit too boxy for my liking, I don't know if its camera effect being taken too close or what, but this looks like the boxiest Thedis I ever see in this forum

Nacho

Practically Family
OP did ask about the fit. @navetsea assessment is spot on.

Whoa relax, John Locke from Lost. Didn’t you see the emoji I left on his comment? How the hell did you interpret that as an objection?

I agreed with him. I spat my food out reading that comment. It was so honest that it makes it funny, especially the last part. Never my intention to be a d!ck.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hard to judge. Pics are taken too close by, OP is wearing a t-shirt only and we don't know the OP's fit preference, whether he likes to wear his jackets relaxed or fitted.

It's boxy but it'll shape in. It won't ever be fitted but it's a leather jacket & one that you intend to wear over winter, I suppose, since it's got shearling collar and all. It'll be good that way, you've no worries about the way it fits you.

As for dying it - Don't mess with it!
You'll ruin the jacket. Even if you like the effect on the small area, dying an entire jacket is a complicated process if you don't care about ruining the stitching / staining the lining / etc.; Especially a leather jacket with a shearling collar that isn't (?) removable. Sheep fur will suck up this dye even more easily than leather & how will you prevent it from staining, once you reach the collar? Not to mention the dye transfer. Just don't do it.

On top of that, Thedi uses high-quality vegetable tanned leather that you definitely shouldn't soak with some all-purpose shoe & upholstery dye that's probably alcohol based or worse.

I dyed plenty of jackets and they have turned out beautifully. The difference is they were hideous to begin with (this Thedi is not) and they were cheap pieces of shit (this Thedi is also not). I can’t urge you enough to absolutely NOT dye this jacket. This is not the type of jacket leather dye was meant for. Not even close! It’s like shortening the sleeves with a chainsaw.

To me the fit looks fine. Relaxed. Not a sausage casing but not a sack either.

LutherJAS

New in Town
First off, congratulations on receiving your jacket from Thedi! Now, regarding the fit, my take is that sometimes jackets may feel a bit loose, especially when they are still fresh out of the box. Trust me, I've been there with a similar leather jacket I bought about four years ago.
I totally get the concern about it feeling a tad loose. In my experience, comfort can be subjective, and sometimes it takes a little time for the jacket to mold to your body. Also, keep in mind that how a jacket looks in photos doesn't always reflect how it feels or how good it actually looks in person. I've had moments where I felt a bit uncomfortable, but people around me thought I looked great in the jacket.
So, my advice is to give it a little time and wear it around a bit. Leather has a way of breaking in and adjusting to your body shape. Plus, style is often about confidence, and if you feel good in it, that's what matters most. Enjoy your new jacket, and I'm sure you'll rock it!:cool:

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,

I received my lovely jacket from Thedi. I have two questions

1- what do you think about the fit? Too loose ?

View attachment 562927

View attachment 562928 View attachment 562929

2- I love the leather used in the jacket. It's Aniline leather, but I find the color a bit dull. I want to make it a bit more Reddish. I got a tube of Saphir Canadian cream (red color), and tried it on the inside of the jacket and I love the outcome. Shall I go ahead and apply the cream to the rest of the jacket? Although, Saphir Canadian is made for jacket and large leather items, I'm a bit worried. Anyone tried it before?

View attachment 562931
Beautiful Jacket. Fit is a little Boxie but it’s a Highway Style Jacket. Love the Color. I think you should not add any polish or die. Just wear it and enjoy.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The stubborn that I am, I went ahead with a very light coat of Saphir Canadian cream (red color). I love the result! The camera makes the effect a bit more dynamic!

Actually, I'm not stubborn, I'm just ALWAYS right! :cool:
Now the collar is too white to match your hand painted patina.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner