Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E-bay sellers who are dishonest

renor27

One of the Regulars
Hello all
I have a had an experience with e-bay that I thought I would share
In August I bought a mission style file cabinet on E-bay when it arrived I found that the seller had misrepresented the item.
I started to correspond with him to try to fix the problem i.e. get a refund of my money.
He first made me a low ball offer for some of my money back. Then agreed to refund the whole amount. ( I have all this in e-mails )
He was saying that the problem was that due to the shipper. Can not see how water stains were the shipper fault. He said that he would be getting insurance from the shipper once that was done I would have my money back.
He even said that he he had transferred money into his Pay Pal account and that I would have it in mine in 3-4 days.
Well what was going on it turns out was that he was stalling me from filing with Pay-Pal until the 45 day where I could file was over. Once the 45 days had passed he stopped answering my e-mails.
I talked with Pay Pal about this matter. They have said there is nothing they can do because the 45 days where they step in to help has passed . Pay Pal has directed me to the FBIs Internet Fraud Complaint Center.
Pay Pal has said they are starting to see this more and more.
I plan to take this as far as I can.
Just wondering if any one has had this happen to them?

ShortClara

One Too Many
Renor, that's awful! I encourage everyone who buys and sells on eBay to delve deep into the service's fine print to learn these rules and help yourself.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, initiate a charge back separate of PayPal.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Ebay

I usede my pay pal account that is attached to my bank so do not hav ethe extra protection of a credit card
As for knowning the rules yes di read the fine print.
the seller was telling me that the refund was coming keeped up this lie until the 45 day window that could report the problem to pay pal was ove,r now has stopped answering my emails
He is in chicago I am in Reno not like I can walk over and work this out.
Will be filing with the local cops and seeing if can take this to court.
Am hoping that the amount is enough for a the local cops to take a intersts into this whole matter.

Edward

Bartender
It's very easy to be caught out. I recently had a seller who was very good with the communications.... right up until the sixty day limit to file with ebay ran out. Thereafter, zip. They got my money, though. I'd like to hope it was just an oversight or something happened and they forgot or whatever, but after repeated emails went unanswered, it's hard not to think the worst. I did complain to eBay and got back a very sweetly worded version of "sorry, over sixty days, not interested." They suggested I report it to the police...... over about USD100, and a US seller - yeah, right: "Go home, sonny, we've got real crime to deal with." :rolleyes: I sympathise for eBay's position too, but at the same time I'm far from convinced that they really offer much protection at all, if any, nowadays. I tend to feel that really any ebay sale is a gamble. One thing i have learned from that expensive lesson is that in future if something hasn't appeared I will immediately set up an eBay claim - that has to be done very early on. I feel sorry for genuine people who get hit with those, but it's the only way to protect yourself. I'll not stop using ebay as 99.9% of folks I've dealt with have been honest, and what I got ripped off I've saved many times over buying on there, but nevertheless...

ShortClara

One Too Many
Use Feedback!

Use the feedback to warn other buyers! Succinct, factual feedback will help others steer clear.

Something like:
Paid XX/XX, Seller made excuses for 60 days; No product, Can't File, BEWARE

Or something like that. Other buyers count on you to communicate your terrible experience. I always say try to work it out with your seller, never neg without trying to work it out, but if they steal your money, NEG THEM!

Edward

Bartender
I shoulda done. Unfortunately this seller managed to string me out beyond the 90 days too...... :rage:

I think a lot of folks nowadays are scared to leave negative feedback - at least here in the UK. So many sellers wait for you to leave your feedback first now (I'd say it's the norm) and so the fear is if you leave a neg, you'll get the inevitable revenge strike of receiving one. I think i could risk it now - so far I'm on 100% positive since 2002, and about 400 or so of a figure on it. Still, the seller that seems to have ripped me off had a perfect record too, so I don't really trust the feedback fully, TBH. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart