Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ear Flicking, Hat Manhandling, Hat Tips, Boy George, and Hat Crushing

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Point taken!
Having to worry about what to do with my hat once it is off my head is one of the reasons I rarely wear them (except for my tweed hat which I can roll-up and put in my coat pocket). That, and having worn them for 20 years in the Navy - and having to replace them more times than I can remember because someone took the wrong hat. But at least back then, especially when I was wearing a "Dixie Cup", it was not that expensive to replace one. Thanks!

Hello DCMark and welcome to FL! Okay, call me an uninformed dope, but what is a 'dixie cup' hat? I'm not familiar with the military and am assuming it may be the vernacular for certain hat.

DCMark

New in Town
A "Dixie Cup" is the white, circular "sailor cap" that most people (I presume) think of when they think of a sailor's cap. Here's a link to a story that has a picture of some WW2 sailors in their dixie cups. http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/tv/index.ssf/2009/11/lou_reda_productions_brilliant.html
The second picture on the page is a better view although the sailor is wearing it in a non-regulation (but more common) fashion. It's not supposed to be tilted.

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A "Dixie Cup" is the white, circular "sailor cap" that most people (I presume) think of when they think of a sailor's cap. Here's a link to a story that has a picture of some WW2 sailors in their dixie cups. http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/tv/index.ssf/2009/11/lou_reda_productions_brilliant.html
The second picture on the page is a better view although the sailor is wearing it in a non-regulation (but more common) fashion. It's not supposed to be tilted.

Thanks DCMark. Knew the hat of course, just not this name for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran