Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ear Flicking, Hat Manhandling, Hat Tips, Boy George, and Hat Crushing

Hummm

Sounds like she was interested in more than your hat; any up-dates?;)

Mr E Train said:
I was out at a tavern with some friends not too long ago, playing trivia, and I had my Dobbs Soul straw sitting on the table in front of me, when I hear someone zip past me and say "Yoink!" I was more than a little tipsy so my reaction time was delayed, and I look at the table and my hat is no longer there. I look over and a very attractive blond 20-something girl from another team had my hat in her hands, and she sat down at an empty seat, delicately placed the hat on her head, and proceed to strike up a conversation. What was about to be an enraged "WHAT THE-!" quickly became a bemused "Oh...hello." She chit-chatted for a few minutes (about what I don't even recall) and then gently took the hat off her head and gave it back to me. I should have taken a picture of her when she had the hat on (or even without it), but like I said, I was about half in the bag and it just didn't occur to me. If she had been some old hag, I'm sure I would have just politely asked for my hat back, but this girl was so cute I didn't even mind. I probably would have let her have it if she had asked me.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
man i would really love to see a pic of this hat , before and after would even be better but any snap of it at all (resisting posting the infamous "this thread is worthless etc" icon because it is still a good story with out one)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I agree with you Paddy! As a now middle aged I guess Lady myself (though I feel much younger at heart:) ), I'm just glad I survived to be this age!

For the record, I'd NEVER have the audacity to ear flick a man for any reason (its RUDE!), let alone touch his fedora without his express permission. The fact that the woman (you're right- she ain't a 'lady') touched the hat, let alone tried to reshape it and then proceed to tell you how to wear is just outrageous and going way too far...

PADDY said:
"I like that!" If we're all lucky, we may make it into middle age;) (Actually, technically I'm there already [huh] ).

Pompidou

One Too Many
Midwest Boater said:
man i would really love to see a pic of this hat , before and after would even be better but any snap of it at all (resisting posting the infamous "this thread is worthless etc" icon because it is still a good story with out one)

63846_143215629054558_100000983668156_227441_5776849_n.jpg

This isn't the scene of the crime, but it's good enough for the point. I think that's what I was wearing, because I don't have many red t-shirts that match the hat. As you can see, I have big ears, and they're enticing to flick.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Well, it is a pretty darn good looking... hat;) Looking very handsome looking there Sir (and I am not old enough to be your grandma, just a young at heart 52yo that passes for being in my early 40s these days).

Pompidou said:
63846_143215629054558_100000983668156_227441_5776849_n.jpg

I think that's what I was wearing, because I don't have many red t-shirts that match the hat. As you can see, I have big ears, and they're enticing to flick.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks for the pic, it is an eye catching hat and obviously well made.
as for the gals behavior perhaps she was over-served and we can blame the bar keep while cutting her a little slack.
well Im off to look for photos of Boy George in a pork pie.
oh bye the way is the hat still drawing you into adventures and has the public's shock with it worn off ?

Pompidou

One Too Many
Midwest Boater said:
thanks for the pic, it is an eye catching hat and obviously well made.
as for the gals behavior perhaps she was over-served and we can blame the bar keep while cutting her a little slack.
well Im off to look for photos of Boy George in a pork pie.
oh bye the way is the hat still drawing you into adventures and has the public's shock with it worn off ?

Every day! Why, I was at the bar just last friday and an old man that needed to tell me something but is physically unable to do anything but a forced whisper used the brim of this very hat to pull my head in - well, tried anyway. Like any unexpected tugging, the natural inclination is to resist and go the opposite way. He might not have a voice, but he's still got a good grip.

My experiences can be summarized into three categories:

Young guys never mess with the hat w/o asking, but are most likely to make fun of you for wearing it.

Young girls will snatch one's hat to wear it w/o asking - typically, this doesn't bother me, so long as they remain in the vicinity where I can get it back if need be.

Older men and women seem to have no compunction about manhandling your hat to get your attention. If they were familiar with hats in the past, often they'll tell you how well made your hat is, after they've made the effort to mangle it.

Again - that's just a summary of the experiences I've had so far. They really do fit neatly into those categories, but I certainly don't claim any law of sociology based on them. Just the way the cookie happened to crumble.

well I'm dissapointed...

Pompidou said:
Every day! Why, I was at the bar just last friday and an old man that needed to tell me something but is physically unable to do anything but a forced whisper used the brim of this very hat to pull my head in - well, tried anyway. Like any unexpected tugging, the natural inclination is to resist and go the opposite way. He might not have a voice, but he's still got a good grip.

Young guys never mess with the hat w/o asking, but are most likely to make fun of you for wearing it.

Young girls will snatch one's hat to wear it w/o asking - typically, this doesn't bother me, so long as they remain in the vicinity where I can get it back if need be.

Older men and women seem to have no compunction about manhandling your hat to get your attention. If they were familiar with hats in the past, often they'll tell you how well made your hat is, after they've made the effort to mangle it.

Again - that's just a summary of the experiences I've had so far. They really do fit neatly into those categories, but I certainly don't claim any law of sociology based on them. Just the way the cookie happened to crumble.

The only experience I've had is my son (5) and daughter (13 months) trying to take them off my head. where's the drunk hot blonde who wants to wear my hat [huh]

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
pork pie ?

well ive done my research. it seems Boy George prefers hats with incredibly high crowns.
4toqio.jpg

sn06e1.jpg

pork pie? I think not.
oh bye the way boaters are well known to cause adventures of all kinds i quote from a barons hat advertisement "Many people believe the Boater carries almost mystical powers. It’s true that when men put them on, they seemed to attract not only joyous adventures, but equally joyous women to accompany them on these newly discovered escapades!"
maybe your lid has the heart of a boater just a thought.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I went out to a Mexican restaurant with some family members tonight. I was wearing my Stetson Nostalgia, and since there were no chairs left over at our table, I placed my hat upside down on a chair at the empty table next to ours. While we were eating I hear a young boy's voice say "Whoa, a cool hat!" A boy of about 10 or so was walking in between our table and the empty table on the way to the restroom. I wasn't looking in that direction when he said that, but my brother-in-law was, and he said that the kid was just about to pick it up and walk off with it. The hat was indeed not in the same position that I left it, but I guess the kid quickly realized it must be mine and left it where it was. Good thing for him. When he came back from the bathroom I was definitely giving him a bit of the stinkeye and keeping my eye on him when he walked by, but he kept his hands to himself.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think many would agree, that regardless of age, any lady, woman, chick or broad regardless of age who would have the audacity to pick up an Art Fawcett hat and wad it into Lord knows what shape is not a lady, woman, chick or broad who deserves to be in the company of a gent sporting one. Ditto the twits assaulting your earlobs.

Chinaski

One Too Many

I would venture it also has much to do with the hat owner as well. Some people wearing a hat are more prone to be F*&ed with than others. Would people walk up and grab Mr. T's lid?? Would they grab Peewee Herman's lid? I think this illustrates where I'm going with this one...

Pompidou

One Too Many
I would venture it also has much to do with the hat owner as well. Some people wearing a hat are more prone to be F*&ed with than others. Would people walk up and grab Mr. T's lid?? Would they grab Peewee Herman's lid? I think this illustrates where I'm going with this one...

That speaks volumes if it's true. Looking at my past experiences, it's most always the elderly that feel welcome to do with the hats they remember from their heyday as they please. As I mentioned, young guys might heckle you, but they know they're not societally protected from retribution. If a young guy comes up to another young guy in a bar and starts manhandling his stuff, codes of honor could cause a fight. I'm no Mr. T. I'm on the Pee Wee Herman end of your spectrum, but it's not important. I'd be entitled to sock him in the nose. It's not worth getting barred or worse and they know it. If an old woman does it, if an elderly man - you'd best suck it up. They know it. They exist in a societally protected status - a shield that can't be breached. Not that I really mind. Hell, if there wasn't a forum dedicated to noteworthy hat stories like TFL, well, I probably wouldn't have told anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran