Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early 80’s Schott I.S.674.M.S - G1

MissoulaGriz

New in Town
I found this Schott in a vintage shop a few weeks ago and the price was great so I picked it up. Overall it’s a very clean jacket. I sent these pics to Gail at Schott and she dated it as an early 80’s 675 based on the “Robin” zipper. She also said the original would have had a pile collar so this one must have had it removed.
It also looks like this is the cowhide version of this jacket as Gail said this time period of coat would have spec’d cowhide over goatskin.
My question is: what type of coating did Schott use with this leather? It has a very synthetic feel and honestly repells water like crazy. Just curious if anyone can shed some light on this for me.
Thanks so much!
12178515-2B2B-4113-81B4-E90F30158FA0.jpeg

F657F907-58FC-4E65-A11B-201FA86E7C2A.jpeg

BB18D8B5-0F86-42DF-914F-7E1FF9ED3DC4.jpeg

9361C528-DC8A-4124-8FA8-BF48B4CEA8BB.jpeg

Here’s a few “fit” pics. Sleeves are a tad too long but when you’re shaped like fire-hydrant (5.6, 165lbs) that’s what happens I guess :) I don’t think they’re worth shortening at this point?

873A8286-2D42-4173-98B1-86C44BD205F5.jpeg

B1015498-5DDF-4DBA-A3E6-47EDA7B0CBC3.jpeg

18B8EFED-824A-4A53-8EC5-9B33DFBECAA0.jpeg

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
Fiebings do a number of leather finishes such as their ‘Resolene’, which are acrylic based. It’s possible that it has been treated with one of these or a similar product?

MissoulaGriz

New in Town
Thanks Robinray. I gave the jacket sleeves some HWT treatment today and I can actually smell leather now, not chemicals! Perhaps that’s the trick to getting some of that finish off.

MissoulaGriz

New in Town
Thanks Tropicalbob! The little extra sleeve length does help when I’ve got a light sweater underneath. In realty I’d probably need a size 38 sleeve with a 40 body.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Tropicalbob! The little extra sleeve length does help when I’ve got a light sweater underneath. In realty I’d probably need a size 38 sleeve with a 40 body.
Just remember that if you shorten the sleeves then that's great for you, but selling the jacket at some point in the future would be a problem since the chest/sleeve ratio would be non-standard / non-average and hence the buyer pool for a modified jacket would be extremely small. But this jacket looks like a keeper!

MissoulaGriz

New in Town
Great points, Doc. I also think this one is a keeper for sure and I’ll stick with the sleeve length on this particular jacket.

This forum has done absolutely nothing but fuel my desire for the next “step up” in quality, fit and finish of a G1. :)

Just remember that if you shorten the sleeves then that's great for you, but selling the jacket at some point in the future would be a problem since the chest/sleeve ratio would be non-standard / non-average and hence the buyer pool for a modified jacket would be extremely small. But this jacket looks like a keeper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80