Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman - a new direction?

pipvh

Practically Family
Unaccountably, I like the conch. I like the barefaced uselessness of it. Though maybe you could hang something useful from it, like a chainsaw file...

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Two tone jackets are difficult to get right but I do like this Eastman, others will disagree.

The price is nuts of course but that applies to all ELC products.

Feraud

Bartender
image.jpg
Their concho idea was probably inspired by the Japanese denim/workwear movement..
I snapped this at the Inspiration show in L.A.
Sorry for the lopsided pic...am dealing with an iPad and weak wi-fi service..

Stand By

One Too Many
Oh dear. So just decorative, then.
You see, that'd be a deal-breaker for me right there. If I want to decorate a jacket (and I do like to - on my ANJ-3, C-3s, B-3 and even my Irvin has a tiny original RCAF sweetheart pin and a vintage WW2 escape whistle), I'd want to put something on it that is unique - not a decoration that every other jacket has. I want mine to be different in the world in just a small way - so that there's no other quite like it anywhere.
It's like that Harry Enfield sketch he did about a parody of a fake so-hip-hop music band from 1990 ("Republic of Soul AD") - and the 3 band members are being interviewed and the interviewer asks what the keyboard player has tattooed across on his neck, as he's always wanted to know.
"Oh that" he says. "It says "Individual" ".
"And what made you want to have that as a tattoo?" he's asked.
"Well, me mates all 'ad one, eh?"

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I'd be as reluctant to get a concho in my jacket as I am to get a nose ring. Others might like that sort of stuff, but it doesn't appeal to me, in any observed or alternate universe.

tblay

One of the Regulars
Two tone jackets are difficult to get right but I do like this Eastman, others will disagree.

The price is nuts of course but that applies to all ELC products.

I think the olive version of this is really nice.

I have an Eastman A-1 that is, absolutely, my Platonic ideal in terms of leather jackets. It fits me better than some custom jackets I've had made, and I can't wear it in public without getting at least one compliment per wear. Complete strangers come up to me and tell me how beautiful the jacket is. It's like I turn into J. Peterman. But there's one huge caveat: I can't wear it if there's even the slightest threat of rain. The capeskin spots like hell, as I learned from leaving the jacket on the back of a kitchen chair when I did the dishes once. Luckily, I only splattered in two small places along the back of one arm. The jacket's delicate nature limits its use tremendously.

And I think these ELMC jackets pose a similar problem. Being veg tanned (which, on the whole, I much prefer) really restricts them in terms of actual riding use. I'd hate to get caught in a storm, on or off the bike for that matter, in that Californian, though I agree it's a fantastic design. Performance in rain is one of the biggest reasons I started riding in an Aero (although abrasion resistance is another big factor, and something I'd worry about with all the ELMC's). This speaks to a larger problem that some of the other comments touch on as well. Selling "biker" themed gear for the purpose of general fashion seems so problematic. It's not unlike that McQueen jacket with the faux mud splatter or those LVC items, intended to mimic late 19th century mining wear, that come "pre-distressed." As nice as these jackets look, I wouldn't ride in it, and I doubt other bikers who are concerned with safety and performance would either. It's nice to romanticize Americana in an HD video with open-face helmets and cool guys who smoke and have girlfriends. But, considering these jackets, that's sheerly a rhetorical appeal.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think the olive version of this is really nice.

I have an Eastman A-1 that is, absolutely, my Platonic ideal in terms of leather jackets. It fits me better than some custom jackets I've had made, and I can't wear it in public without getting at least one compliment per wear. Complete strangers come up to me and tell me how beautiful the jacket is. It's like I turn into J. Peterman. But there's one huge caveat: I can't wear it if there's even the slightest threat of rain. The capeskin spots like hell, as I learned from leaving the jacket on the back of a kitchen chair when I did the dishes once. Luckily, I only splattered in two small places along the back of one arm. The jacket's delicate nature limits its use tremendously.

And I think these ELMC jackets pose a similar problem. Being veg tanned (which, on the whole, I much prefer) really restricts them in terms of actual riding use. I'd hate to get caught in a storm, on or off the bike for that matter, in that Californian, though I agree it's a fantastic design. Performance in rain is one of the biggest reasons I started riding in an Aero (although abrasion resistance is another big factor, and something I'd worry about with all the ELMC's). This speaks to a larger problem that some of the other comments touch on as well. Selling "biker" themed gear for the purpose of general fashion seems so problematic. It's not unlike that McQueen jacket with the faux mud splatter or those LVC items, intended to mimic late 19th century mining wear, that come "pre-distressed." As nice as these jackets look, I wouldn't ride in it, and I doubt other bikers who are concerned with safety and performance would either. It's nice to romanticize Americana in an HD video with open-face helmets and cool guys who smoke and have girlfriends. But, considering these jackets, that's sheerly a rhetorical appeal.

I kind of agree with all that!

I bought a Roadstar back when it was still £200 cheaper and on the regular ELC website, and i sent it back.
Although it looked nice, the leather felt very thin and almost flimsy, i would never have considered riding with it, and i ride with Schott and Lewis leathers jackets!

This whole ELMC thing feels like it is aimed at wanna be bikers with a large wallet more than anything else...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Jinkies, if it was thinner thsn the Lewises I've handled, you must have been able to spit through it!! :eek:

I don't know if you handled modern ones or vintage ones, but the current ones are around 1.5mm thick, which to me is pretty regular/decent thickness!
The Roadstar felt very thin and light, and my first thought unboxing it was "how can it be worth that much?" i sent it back the same day.
Funny thing is i wasn't even buying this jacket as a potential riding jacket, but even as an everyday jacket i found it disappointing.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
The prices are way out of my league, but seem to reflect the current market. A quick glance round the net suggests Aero are around £650-700, LL are around £700-750, ELMC are around £850-900 - i.e. roughly about £200 more. As they will probably be "stitch nazi" near-cloned copies of the originals - ELC's thing - then that seems a reasonable difference. (I'm not dissing Aero or LL here, they make excellent jackets, but they've never been near the ELC level of OCD and that's never been their main selling point).

The far eastern market is a perfectionist one and they are willing to pay the extra money for the extra attention to detail. And they can afford it.

Stand By

One Too Many
The prices are way out of my league, but seem to reflect the current market. A quick glance round the net suggests Aero are around £650-700, LL are around £700-750, ELMC are around £850-900 - i.e. roughly about £200 more. As they will probably be "stitch nazi" near-cloned copies of the originals - ELC's thing - then that seems a reasonable difference. (I'm not dissing Aero or LL here, they make excellent jackets, but they've never been near the ELC level of OCD and that's never been their main selling point).

The far eastern market is a perfectionist one and they are willing to pay the extra money for the extra attention to detail. And they can afford it.

Good points. And not only can they afford it, they expect to pay more ... I think they'd consider the ELMC prices merely the going rate.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot