Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman B-3 .50 CAL

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't wearing it like that, just wanted to see what it looked/fitted like. Probably got this totally wrong, but weren't they worn like that sometimes during ww2?
No hat I'm afraid.
Not sure the time worn is 100% worth it tbh, but I wanted the 50cal which only comes time worn.
As for the shades, they're my glasses, of which I only have one pair, so pretty stuck with those at the moment, spent my money on jackets instead ;)
Yes A2s were worn under B3s, there are lots of photo's that feature this. I have one of his early Roughwear jackets, the lacquer finish is nothing like an original but thats all the was available 15 years ago.
I have never been keen on so called time worn looking items, walking the dog, putting the bins out and general wearing will soon have any jacket looking right. Garry has put a lot into getting these looking better over the years, somethings work, others such as fancy zips.....well you decide.
They are all pretty nice and this looks perfect and made to be worn with an A2, I guess that why the arm holes are so big. Personally I would sew the shoulder tabs down(without rank) and fold the collar straps back but that's me.
Your normal gear looks spot on, as for a hat a Camping and General version of a watch cap would look fine though some nice A10 gloves would be a nice winter touch
Wear the hell out of it and it will look like an original, even just lounging about in it. A great jacket :)

P.S. Dumpster. I don't think Eastman do custom jackets anymore apart from adding to the length of body or arms and sewing their own squadron patches on.

Dav

One Too Many
Must say, the zip is one thing I'm not enamoured with, fiddly to do up and not giving me the impression that it will last, time will tell I suppose.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Yea, I'm not at all a fan of the crown zip. I have an ELC house B6 that's about 3 years old now. The zipper does smooth out a bit with use but I still curse the blasted thing and half look forward to the day it breaks so I can put a Talon on.

Reactions: Dav

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I wasn't wearing it like that, just wanted to see what it looked/fitted like. Probably got this totally wrong, but weren't they worn like that sometimes during ww2?
No hat I'm afraid.
Not sure the time worn is 100% worth it tbh, but I wanted the 50cal which only comes time worn.
As for the shades, they're my glasses, of which I only have one pair, so pretty stuck with those at the moment, spent my money on jackets instead ;)

Yeah That's why I'm asking I'm sure some guys Doubled up their Jackets when they could, It got pretty Damn cold up there.

Ah, One day you'll pick up a pair of cheap shades at the thrift if you're luck holds out, you should see some of the Gold plated 14K American Optical Flight sunglasses I've scored at thrifts, I have nearly 50 pairs of Sunglasses from collecting at thrifts alone. Some of them are dating back to the 30's and 40's!
It all started when I broke my vintage Navy Issue Glasses-Flying-sun.

Right place and time is all, but you'll never know if you weren't there. know-whut-I-mean?

Well, do you know anyone who knits? have them copy you a WWII-WWI Pattern wool hat, you can google it. Someone at your local Wool shop might be able to git r' done for ya, would look into it If I was you. It would really look the part!

It's got that Jack Nicholson Cuckoo's Nest look, I'd say.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
P.S. Dumpster. I don't think Eastman do custom jackets anymore apart from adding to the length of body or arms and sewing their own squadron patches on.

Damn, I was Afraid of that, I could still try though, or at least take some Detailed photos for Gary's interest? He's a nice guy, I e-mailed him once and got a very prompt and thorough Response! I wish I could get a Job working for him making Jackets...dream Job right there!!!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Damn, I was Afraid of that, I could still try though, or at least take some Detailed photos for Gary's interest? He's a nice guy, I e-mailed him once and got a very prompt and thorough Response! I wish I could get a Job working for him making Jackets...dream Job right there!!!
Yes he's ok, but as to making custom items thats another matter. I asked could he make a B6 with the small waist strap as on the ANJ4 rather than those awful(in my opinion) waist adjuster zips but the answer was no even though that part was standard on another jacket and also historically correct. I can't see anything different about the jacket just the strap. Also on the ANJ4, I thought his old A2 style pocket flap looked so much neater than the buttoned version and also historically correct but nothing doing there either. it is his company so can make things or not how they like.
Want a job making jackets? Get yourself the right sewing machine, some old scraps of leather or even something to restore and away you go. By making it yourself you may make the best jackets in the business, I guess thats how John Chapman, Ken, Garry, and Steve Silburn got started.
Seeya, J.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I have to say I disagree with you about the side zips on the B6 I think they pull the waistline in perfectly (though I did have one break once, but it was repaired free of charge), but certainly agree about their old studded version of the ANJ4, looked much better and neater to me!

D

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Yes he's ok, but as to making custom items thats another matter. I asked could he make a B6 with the small waist strap as on the ANJ4 rather than those awful(in my opinion) waist adjuster zips but the answer was no even though that part was standard on another jacket and also historically correct. I can't see anything different about the jacket just the strap. Also on the ANJ4, I thought his old A2 style pocket flap looked so much neater than the buttoned version and also historically correct but nothing doing there either. it is his company so can make things or not how they like.
Want a job making jackets? Get yourself the right sewing machine, some old scraps of leather or even something to restore and away you go. By making it yourself you may make the best jackets in the business, I guess thats how John Chapman, Ken, Garry, and Steve Silburn got started.
Seeya, J.

Yep, I'll get there, you got any patterns for an A-2 Jacket btw? How 'bout some bellbottoms? hahah!!!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m not usually into the military style jackets but this one looks awesome! Great score there.

I found the Eastman “time worn” distressing to be really good, its only pretty mild (on my Roadstar at least) and isn’t at all “overdone”.

IMO it just makes the jacket not look brand new, more like you’ve had it for a year or two at the most.

Reactions: Dav

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yep, I'll get there, you got any patterns for an A-2 Jacket btw? How 'bout some bellbottoms? hahah!!!
I do know of one manufacturer who bought an original wartime A2, took the whole thing apart and worked from there to make what other manufactures thought were very highly regarded replica's. Nowadays you could probably buy pattens from the internet, you can certainly get the hardware, something unheard of back in the 80s ;)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Deconstructing an A-2 for a pattern eh...why that's blasphemous! Eugh! There's many other ways to take a pattern. I hope they put it back together again.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have to say I disagree with you about the side zips on the B6 I think they pull the waistline in perfectly (though I did have one break once, but it was repaired free of charge), but certainly agree about their old studded version of the ANJ4, looked much better and neater to me!

D
It was not the practicality of those side zips,they probably do a good job, it's just the look of them that bothers me.

Deconstructing an A-2 for a pattern eh...why that's blasphemous! Eugh! There's many other ways to take a pattern. I hope they put it back together again.
I knew you would say that, I would have bet a weeks wages in fact :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW