Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman (ELMC) Californian versus Good Wear Californian Ventura

GregO

One of the Regulars
Looking for a new jacket, and I'm considering both the ELMC Californian and the Good Wear California Ventura. I've got a couple Aeros, a J100 from Diamond Dave, etc., but never had an Eastman or a Good Wear. I hear that Mr. Chapman at Good Wear is an obsessive freak (in a good way) who builds some of the finest leather jackets the world has ever known. Anyone compared an Eastman to a Good Wear? The 15 month wait on the Good Wear kinda stinks...

What would you buy?

I went with Goodwear!
I think Superflouous has handled both and can give details as far as comparative quality.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have the GW Ventura and it is amazing. The wait was 20 months last I checked - which was back in March. Consider the Bill Kelso Westfall. It comes to less than $940 shipped. It doesn't have the cuff straps that the GW Ventura has, but it very similar otherwise. Not sure about the quality of the BK leather, though. :D

zhz

Practically Family
I hava a BK Westfall, the Badalassi cowhide it uses is amazing, I'd say the best cowhide I've ever seen.

I have the GW Ventura and it is amazing. The wait was 20 months last I checked - which was back in March. Consider the Bill Kelso Westfall. It comes to less than $940 shipped. It doesn't have the cuff straps that the GW Ventura has, but it very similar otherwise. Not sure about the quality of the BK leather, though. :D

zhz

Practically Family
If I have to choose between Goodwear and ELMC, I will go for GW. GW and BK, I think I will go for BK because it is cheaper. In terms of ELC, I own their A2 slender, it is well build, but I don't like the cowhide it uses, so ELC is not my choose.

trapp

Practically Family
What's the wait on a typical BK jacket?

GW would almost seem a no-brainer if it weren't for the extensive wait period.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Note that BK isn't stocking Badilassi at this time which really sucks. Still an excellent excellent alternative brand, comparable in quality to Aero at a minimum IMO

Haven't handled an ELC, and am sure they're fantastic, but I'm pleased as punch with my two GWs. If you've got the money and time, my recommendation would be pony up on the deposit and get in line for a GW, and then buy a BK while ya wait!!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Note that BK isn't stocking Badilassi at this time which really sucks.
Seems theres always something. With GW its their long wait time. With BK, they hardly ever have all the leathers offered in stock and available, ELC has always had short sleeves ;)

If you've got the money and time, my recommendation would be pony up on the deposit and get in line for a GW, and then buy a BK while ya wait!!
+1 You can always cancel the order and get ur money back if the BK works for you.

What about Aero/ Thurston? Good prices, excellent leathers, good wait time, flexible with mods....?

D

Deleted member 16736

To me, 20 months is excessive and frankly, a little absurd. It's a jacket. GW will likely be better, but worth waiting 20 months? Life is short. Look around for other options and you'll find them. Aero is a well-regarded brand with lots of new choices. And if you buy through Insurrection, the wait is one month, not 20. Their new Vicenza Italian horsehide is really nice stuff, and honestly, just as good as what you'll find at GW. Also, consider a cloth jacket. Getting one will not only be faster, but cheaper too. Buzz Ricksons and ELC both make outstanding cloth jackets. Waiting 20 months for a very expensive leather jacket may only lead to disappointment when your fantasies about how great it is don't live up to the impossible expectations you place on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I ordered a Surrogates jacket from BK, it's really close to the ELMC jacket.
In June the waiting time was 4 months.
So I should get it soon !

Since the OP already has a few other jackets to tide him over, I'd get in the GW line. Then, as others point out, you could play around with some others in the meantime. There should be a secondary market for "scalping" GW spots. 1mo left could be $300 :)
Anyone game?

Edward

Bartender
If you really want the GW, just live with the wait time. If thwt's what you really, really want, anything else is just going to feel like a substitute that isn't a GW. Which is no slight on the alternatives, simply that if you really want a GW rather than a quality jacket of a certain style, not-a-GW will never be a GW.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Since the OP already has a few other jackets to tide him over, I'd get in the GW line. Then, as others point out, you could play around with some others in the meantime. There should be a secondary market for "scalping" GW spots. 1mo left could be $300 :)
Anyone game?

I like it! True market price! Or another option would be for GW to price based on wait time. Hell, I'd wait 3yrs if I could lock in at a discount off the current list price!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the ELC Californian (haven't seen a Good Wear) however I wouldn't spend that amount personally for a new ELC; their ELMC prices are too rich for my blood but the range is apparently selling very well.

Plumbline

One Too Many
20 months for a jacket .. I wouldn't wait 20 weeks .. heck I struggle with 20 DAYS ( I just bought a custom adapted model A Vanson at $599 and the wait time is 8 weeks and I honestly baulked at that ).

I'd go BK .. I have had a couple of BK's and the workmanship is easilly on a par with all of the majors. JCmakes THE ultimate A2 ... but for a period repro jacket I don't think a stitch for stitch replica ia a requirement. Will it be a stunning jacket ... YES, is it worth the money or the wait ... only the consumer can answer that .. but for me NO!

BK wait time is still significant and too long for me TBH .... which is why I'm a second hand purchaser.

Eastman will probably be less wait and you have the backup of the Eastman warranty which I have used and found to be superb ( as have all of the jacket manufacturers I've dealt with TBH)

Stu at Lost worlds, Johnson Leathers, Aero and Alexanders are also viable options ..... and Johnsons and Alexanders will allow what I would term a FULL CUSTOM build with fairly significant customisation.

Pays yer money and takes yer choice ....

I won't tell anyone here how long is too long - that's a personal thing. But as most of you know, I got the Ventura from GW and it's a spectacular piece - no debating that. But to me, what sets guys like JC apart is the service. I can't say that others don't do the same, but what I get from John and Vickie is above and beyond. My 1.5 year old Ventura had issues with the liner in the torso drooping below the hemline. It was due to the leather naturally shrinking up a tad from use/age. It wasn't awful, but JC told me to send it up and he'd take care of it, gratis.
The guy is overloaded with work, and this was 1.5 years out. I even tried to pay for the return shipping, no dice.

Every time I put it on, or even just pick it up and hold it during the hot months, I realize what a special piece it is. I can only hope that my son somehow grows into it one day so he can wear it.

Another thing is that with Diamond Dave working with JC and some Aero ties, the line may start to get a little faster, but time will tell. I've had me a few custom jackets over the years, and there's only a few that still have a home here. Once you get the special ones, the rest are distant memories. I no longer have to buy and flip - I know what I want and where to get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner