Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Purchasing: Direct from UK, or Through HPA?

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
I'm thinking of getting an Eastman A-2, and am wondering if, as someone who lives in the US, should I buy direct from Eastman, or should I go through History Preservation Associates? I assume there would be advantages going through HPA, as communication, shipping, and returns might be easier. And assuming they have what I want in stock, it's be a quicker purchase, too. These reasons alone make me think I should go through them. However, I noticed that the HPA affiliates thread was locked back on May 1st without explanation, and that the HPA rep, Charles DiSipio, last logged in on May 2nd. Normally I would just assume this was due to a number of innocuous reasons, but with the Aero USA situation from a while back, my spider-sense is beginning to tingle, and I can't help but wonder if this means I should forgo HPA and purchase straight from ELC. What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Krunch

bretron

Call Me a Cab
If it were me I'd go thru the rep. No international hasssle and likely better customer service. HPA's affiliate thread was likely just locked due to change to non-affiliate status. Nothing to get suspicios about at all.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Check the prices and the exchange rates.
Last time I looked, HPA was making a couple of hundred dollars on the top.

thor

One Too Many
In May, I purchased an Eastman .50-Cal A-2 thru HPA and did the math (£ vs $, plus shipping, customs, etc) and it was pretty much the same price; to my calculations (which, to be honest are thorough but certainly not infallible) there was a slight edge going through HPA.
Charles was very communicative via e-mail throughout the process. I would certainly buy through HPA in the future.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I bought my Irvin with Charles in May and my G-1 through him last October and both transactions went very smoothly. I had to exchange my Irvin for a larger size and that was expensive enough in the states. I was glad to not need to send it overseas.

Charles is a very busy man, but seems willing enough to answer questions or phone calls. Unless some weird thing transpired since then, I would have no issue ordering from him again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amir

New in Town
I assume there would be advantages going through HPA, as communication, shipping, and returns might be easier. And assuming they have what I want in stock, it's be a quicker purchase, too. These reasons alone make me think I should go through them.

Yes. Absolutely...and Charles is professional, courteous, informative and responsive. The HPA affiliates thread probably stopped this past spring due to its decision to let sponsorship expire.

I purchased an ELC Rough Wear 27752 in seal brown Warhorse this past March, and I am delighted with the A-2 (except the arms are a tad long). The quality of the leather/workmanship and HPA service were top shelf.

Scottish voters' decision to stick with the rest of the U.K boosted (GBP) British Pound (currency) rates, which currently tips the scales in favor of HPA over direct ELC purchase for US customers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ