Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Roadstar... What Lousy Timing

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi gang,

Man, do I have terrible luck with having jackets made... This Spring I put in an order with Aero to have a Bootlegger/Slim Halfbelt Hybrid made to replicate a 1940s MC jacket. Bootlegger aviator front style, but with Slim Halfbelt slim fit to hopefully achieve a 1940s fit/cut. Happily, its under construction and due for completion by Jul 30...

But I just noticed Eastman's newets jacket, the re-issued Roadstar... http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastmanleather/products/product-4294392.stm

Ok, sans the "D" pocket and a a few details this is the jacket I ordered... and would have been what I bought back in Spring had it been re-issued then... And you know Eastman's fit will be trim per-1940s... Darnit...

Clint

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Good question. Mostly I'd seen written that it fit like a modern jacket with oversized arms and body. I really like a slim sleeve and body.

I love Aero for overall quality and willingness to custom make items. But Eastman is my favorite for detail and fit. Had the "Air Comfort" which was the nicest jacket I've personally owned... but was a little wishful and ordered a 42 but truth-be-told I'm a 44 so I had to sell it- to a fellow in Germany who I hope is enjoying the heck out of it right now!

Clint

Edward

Bartender
Interesting to see Eastman adding to their civilian design range; I've always perceived them to be keener to serve the market for military repro. Maybe they've been looking at how much demand there is for Aero's civilian range?

I have an Aero Bootlegger, the regular version (except with button cuffs, and added interior pockets), which I received in April. Very, very pleased with this jacket and its fit. Probably a bit less trim than a thirties halfbelt, but certainly neatly cut for my figure and the arms don't feel 'baggy' to me (I cut my leather jacket teeth on biker style leathers, so I've never been a fan of baggy, blousy fits). I'd be interested to compare one of these Eastman Roadstars side by side with the Aero King of the Road model - it looks fantastic, though at a fair upcharge from the latter.

Awaiting my coming into money (HAH!) I have a plan hatched for a Thirties halfbelt jacket with the front of a King of the Road, in brown FQHH....

jon z

One of the Regulars
cbrunt said:
Good question. Mostly I'd seen written that it fit like a modern jacket with oversized arms and body. I really like a slim sleeve and body.
My sentiments exactly & the reason I've never added an Aero to my collection, as nice as they are.

The ELC Roadstar is a beautiful looking jacket which I can't fault. The only downside for me is I find it somewhat unethical that in all the marketing spiel no credit is given to Joseph Buegeleisen who is responsible for it's design. It is in essence a Buco J23 less the rear entry side pockets & the snap on/off mouton collar. Like him or not at least Stuart of Lostworlds, who also make this design, gives credit to Buegeleisen.

That said, if I had spare the £700 asking price I'd probably be on the phone to ELC now placing an order while at the same time making the point above.

Edward

Bartender
BellyTank said:
The Roadstar is one of ELC's old designs from 20 yrs ago, brought back to life.
Seeing those photos of the jacket, it really looks a lot nicer than Aero's offerings. Aero jackets seem wayto stiff. O'pinion.

B
T

I'm a big fan of Aero FQHH myself - I love a good, heavy leather, me - but certainly if all-out vintage accuracy is what you're looking for, it does seem to me, based on my admittedly limited range of experience with original jackets - that the vintage HH, goat, midweight HH, or other options from Aero than their FQHH are the way to go. My FQHH Bootlegger is softening nicely, but certainly out of the box stands up under its own weight. lol

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Aero is definately good quality leather and workmanship- no faults there at all. But Eastman is definately the finer maker- finer to me meaning detail workmanship and true-to-period construction and fit.

As for Lost Worlds, his whole site and rants just put me off. And his Buco isn't as nice looking and period-correct as Eastman's. But yes, Eastman could throw a little recognition out to old Mr. Joseph!

But the real killer is that today with 99% of everything mass produced and cheap, quality makers are the exception. And thus can and/or must charge a good deal to make a living.... So I can't afford every nice jacket out there :rage:

jon z

One of the Regulars
cbrunt said:
Aero is definately good quality leather and workmanship- no faults there at all. But Eastman is definately the finer maker- finer to me meaning detail workmanship and true-to-period construction and fit.

As for Lost Worlds, his whole site and rants just put me off. And his Buco isn't as nice looking and period-correct as Eastman's. But yes, Eastman could throw a little recognition out to old Mr. Joseph!

But the real killer is that today with 99% of everything mass produced and cheap, quality makers are the exception. And thus can and/or must charge a good deal to make a living.... So I can't afford every nice jacket out there :rage:
I have a LW's J23. I also a very nice Buco J24 (same as the J23 but quilted rayon (?) lined, not wool). I don't see where the LW's falls down on period-correctness against the original in comparison to ELC's? I've already mentioned two period features the ELC doesn't have that the LW's does. If you can get past Stuart's unusual manner & his quirky site you will find the products he offers are exceptional in both workmanship & materials. You really can't judge how nice his J23 is from those picture on his site. They do the jacket no justice at all compared to seeing one in the flesh. Also it is actually very period-correct compared to my original. Two things that make it non-correct are it's heavier, though not by much - original Buco's are heavier than your average motorcycle jacket, & it is made better!

I'm not knocking ELC's. As I said I'd buy one without hesitation if I had the spare cash. I just don't like the way that by omission they allow those not in the know to possibly believe the styling is down to them.

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
I have a LW's J23. I also a very nice Buco J24 (same as the J23 but quilted rayon (?) lined, not wool). I don't see where the LW's falls down on period-correctness against the original in comparison to ELC's? I've already mentioned two period features the ELC doesn't have that the LW's does. If you can get past Stuart's unusual manner & his quirky site you will find the products he offers are exceptional in both workmanship & materials. You really can't judge how nice his J23 is from those picture on his site. They do the jacket no justice at all compared to seeing one in the flesh. Also it is actually very period-correct compared to my original. Two things that make it non-correct are it's heavier, though not by much - original Buco's are heavier than your average motorcycle jacket, & it is made better!

I'm not knocking ELC's. As I said I'd buy one without hesitation if I had the spare cash. I just don't like the way that by omission they allow those not in the know to possibly believe the styling is down to them.

I absolutely agree with your post entirely!
I already own a LW vest and a LW Rider jacket and both are absolutely fantastic!
I ordered a J23 from him that I expect to have at the end of the month.
I also own other horsehide jackets but LW is miles ahead.
About the Eastman imitation, besides their omission it doesn't look like the "Real Deal".
Italian horsehide is good ( I have a Trojan replica made out of Italian Horsehide) , but it can't compares to LW , Aero and The Few, those are the Big Three IMHO.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
I should have elaborated more in that my meaning of "period correct" to be
based on internet images and overall presentation as posted by Eastman... The LW as was stated isn't done justice by the website images which I'm sure is true; but being my only means of shopping these two makers online.. well... Gotta go with what looks best.

But regardless, I doubt I'll ever go LW even though is quality his good because A) he's just flat-out annoying and seems overly contentious B) Eastman and Aero both have been pleasant to work with in the past and have given quality products which is what I'm after.

But the debate of LW aside... I'm still bummed with the timing of the Roadstar's release...:mad: Don't get me wrong... Can't wait to get my heavy HH Aero and I know it'll be worth the wait... but details aside the Roadstar just get's me all goosefleshy..

Clint
PS. Still saving for a new, size 44 Air Comfort... 'twas nice and warm!

CBI

One Too Many
you might want to have a look at Good Wear's moto jackets. If I wanted a moto style jacket, I would buy one from John. best hides around and great "vintage" styling and fit.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
GW make a Cafe Racer style but that is a totally different moto style than what is being discussed here so I don't agree that a GW is an option, I know nearly every thread leads that way but can't see it on this occassion!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Paul, you should know by now that Good wear are the only answer to all the world's ills and the only way to make a man feel good about himself and superior to all other men lol lol lol

As good as GW are (and they certainly are), they are not in a position ot make all jacket types for all tastes and are unlikely ever to be. That they are THE solution for certain people's tastes in certain types of jackets is beyond doubt. However, letting customer loyalty make you settle for the maker rather than the style of jacket would be folly in the extreme. There's room for all the makers and all the budgets and all the styles. In terms of pure numbers, there are probably more Cooper and US Authentic satisfied customers than Aero or Eastman or GW out there.

And let's be honest, if EVERYONE went for a GW, the waiting list would be like for a Rolex Daytona - measured in years rather than months. By which time you might well have changed shape or taste in jackets !! lol Most of us want our stuff NOW :)

Whilst not having seen a recently made GW jacket, I do acknowledge that they are seen now as the premium brand out there but am mystified as to why some people seem SO intent on pushing them. I know of no other product that is so strongly pushed. None of those pushers seems to feel the need to push boots, jeans or cars to the same extent......... If you say you are buying boots from Red Wing, no-one says forget them and buy Wolf as nothing else comes close do they ?

(Now I'll wait for the usual suspects to turn up and accuse me of being a GW hater :rolleyes: )

Dave

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
It sometimes seems you and me against the world, Dave!! (a joke!)...I bought a 2nd hand recent (the new HH) GW A-2 and it is awsome but as you say, John cannot as yet offer the same variety or range of other jacket designs so in the context of this discussion GW do not offer a similar design so such remarks seem inappropriate. I have yet to meet a real biker, rock'n'roll star or indeed lover of the traditional mc jacket design to choose the so-called Cafe Racer style as a valid alternative.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I tried one of the original ELC Roadstar jackets and didn't buy it because I didn't think it was worth the money. Same comment here. You can still get a wearable original Buco for that amount if you know where to look.

It's interesting that ELC don't say why the design was 'hibernated' for so long...

Also of interest, Aero used to make a jacket style such as you are specifying with a Bootlegger front and a half-belt back (and no eppaulettes). They didn't make many. I have one.

Hal

Practically Family
Sorry to make this request so obtrusively, but Mr Johnson - please - I'd like us to be in PM contact and your PM folder is full!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points