Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay fit woes

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
RedHotRidinHood said:
THANK YOU both for such a quick reply! I will do what you suggested, JBD-and by the way, I need to get together with you because I have a little goodie I want to give you before you go away!

Yes, we need to do lunch!

Pink Dahlia, I am not sure I can make this lunch either. But, I promise to make it to at least one before I move. ;)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
cemetarian said:
Oh, I'm so saddened by ya'lls comments regarding eBay.....Not just because I'm a seller but because you have had such bad experiences. Just like any venue there are good sellers and bad sellers (and good buyers and bad buyers)...........I am also hard to fit and I simply don't buy ANYTHING unless I can try it on.........(the one exception is undies........those are pretty standard).........

As a seller I know that I try to measure everything measurable and am always willing to double check measurements or take additional measurements if the prospective buyer asks me. I also know there are those who don't and the only thing I can recommend is to do what someone else said.....check feedback etc and make a decision based on past performance.

I have found that the one thing us Hard to Fits Gals can do is learn to sew..........she says as she wipes the 2 inches of dust off the sewing machine............there are lots of vintage patterns and even some of the newer ones which can be modified to fit. So it's just food for thought.

Don't give up and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.........just be more selective and try to find sellers you trust and can develope a relationship with. I know that a lot of the reputable Vintage Sellers offer a no questions asked return policy..........sadly I'm not one of them.......I can't afford to have merchandise out there while the buyer decides if it's perfect or not.........which I could but the rent's got to be paid and there's no return on the Light bill......but there are lots of them.........so pick one of those and at least you have options if the garment doesn't fit or suit you.

I'm so tickled to be here and have people who really enjoy vintage.............all things vintage not just clothes.........

Oh, my eBay addiction will never end. I just need to be better about checking measurements and it's just the name of the game, really. Same thing happens when I buy from a catalog too. But I think I should focus on jewelry and other accessories, since they don't have the fit item issues of dresses.

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
Add me to the club......

Well I bought a dress on EBAY and surprise surprise it doesn't fit. Its soooo cute too! I do have to say it isn't the sellers fault..it's all mine and my wishful thinking about my body! Anyway I had to post it in the classifieds here so if anyone would like to check it out its over there! Here is the pic....the other owner is modeling it......

4c15_12.jpg

This doesn't make me wanna go to EBAY Anonymous or anything but I sure wish this one fit :(

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Question!

A buyer just approached me about buying an item she won (I was the 2nd high bidder) that didn't fit her. Ebay says (in a box on the side of the e-mail) that this is not allowed.

So what should I do? I don't want to lose my eBay account (but I would like the dress).

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Maybe she could list it as a BIN and let you know when she's doing that? That doesnt sound against the rules does it?

Also just won a dress on ebay which matches the measurements given however I couldnt get the thing over my shoulders because there was no side opening! Just two front buttons! Argh! I just spent about an hour sewing my first zipper on! But still the dress doesnt seem to be made for anyone with um...a chest. Oh well.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
My friend just had the same thing - the dress has a fairly full bust but no side opening. She undid it but still no luck so I'm getting it instead! :D

So I have to put a placket in. Not that much of a hardship.

Interestingly, I don't tend to have trouble getting things off Ebay. Things seem to be bigger rather than smaller most of the time. It's shoes I have the wishful thinking about.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pink Dahlia said:
A buyer just approached me about buying an item she won (I was the 2nd high bidder) that didn't fit her. Ebay says (in a box on the side of the e-mail) that this is not allowed.

So what should I do? I don't want to lose my eBay account (but I would like the dress).

DO NOT do it! I know someone who got kicked off ebay for this. Just tell her to do a BIN for the amount and you'll buy it. :)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Bella, I did thanks. I don't want to lose my eBay account as you all know I love buying dresses! Hopefully I will be adding that one to my collection soon as she said she would list it as a BIN.

Elisa

New in Town
New here, interesting thread!

Hi, everyone - I'm dipping my toe in the water. This thread is fascinating. I have a tough time with fit because I'm tall, broad-shouldered, with a big bust and no butt. The waists of most vintage dresses usually look Empire on me.

As for the second offer, I think the best way to go about your dilemma is to ask the winning bidder to do a BIN and, if Ebay still allows it, make you the only eligible buyer. I don't know if they stopped that practice or not...I think they were going to.

I hope my avatar doesn't break any rules...it IS me, in a publicity photo for a show I did.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
It's a very cute shot!

I think I'm going to have my sweetie take my measurements for me in one of my girdles and use those measurements from now on. I have a feeling that they are probably quite different from what I've been basing my eBay items on.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, I got all of my eBay dresses and I am happy to report they all fit. The blue swing one is a tad snug around the rig cage (fits everywhere else), but it's wearable.

The ones I am most happiest with are the ones that are 1.5 to 2 inches bigger than my waist line and bust. Going forward I am going to do this with all of the cotton dresses I buy because I don't want to have to wear a foundation garment under it (only slips). Just a tip I wanted to share that has been stated by experienced vintage dealers on this thread because it does work. :eusa_clap

Shearer

Practically Family
That's usually what I do, Kimberley, and hope for the best. I've gotten a couple items recently where I noticed the seller has listed what should fit the measurements instead of the measurements themselves, ie: waist would say 28 where it's actually a 30. But it's all worked out so far, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Grrr! I just received ANOTHER dress that didn't fit. The seller again listed the measurements wrong! This time 2 inches off instead of 4 but it still doesn't fit! :rage:

(It's over in classifieds if anyone's interested.)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Another dress that was labeled incorrectly on an eBay listing! :rage:
I'm getting kind of frustrated with this.

I put it in Classifieds if you care to take a gander.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I was curious, what happened to having one thread in the Classifieds that we could put all ladies' things into? It's hard having to wade through the hats and pens and men's suits. Some titles aren't descriptive enough to let me know that its a male item instead of a female item.

The seller could update their post when the item sold. Just a thought :)

Shearer

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Another dress that was labeled incorrectly on an eBay listing! :rage:
I'm getting kind of frustrated with this.

I put it in Classifieds if you care to take a gander.

I saw that dress in Classifieds and the bust on it was like whoa! :eek: Saw it when it was up for auction and I was thinking, "Hahaha! Yeah, right, Kelly!" lol I'm sorry it didn't fit you, the style was really neat.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Well if it was the measurements the seller stated it would have fit me. This happened with another dress I bought.

Are sellers doing this on purpose? I mean how hard is it to measure a garment correctly?

Shearer

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Well if it was the measurements the seller stated it would have fit me. This happened with another dress I bought.

Are sellers doing this on purpose? I mean how hard is it to measure a garment correctly?

I hear ya on that. A friend of mine paid a bunch of money for a jacket recently and the measurements were wayyyy off so it's happening to the dudes, too. I told him tape measures were like mythical beasts on eBay :D

Kimberly

Practically Family
Well I for the most part am done on eBay. I am bidding on one more dress and I can tell it's going to fit by looking at it on the manni.

I have lucked out so far and every dress I ordered has fit me, but I still freak out and worry it won't happen. I am praying my sailor pants fit. It's a size 29 waist and I wanted them bigger for comfort and the fact that the pants are high waisted so it won't be the smallest part of my waist. I will cry if they don't fit and will have to put them in classifieds. :(

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have you all complained to eBay about this inconsistency with sellers measurements? See what sellers are giving the worst measurements, and report them?

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24