Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay FRAUD and online scams

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Again, just as most already know, beware of "spoof" or "pfishing" emails which are dead look-alikes from Ebay, but are not.

Again, I got one asking about an item, just a question. Appears harmlesss. BEWARE!

You click the item number, and this pops up: another genuine looking Ebay log in page

http://212.52.144.101/horde/services/helps/cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayisapi%3bdllsignin&co_partnerid=2/puserid=&siteid=0&pagetype=&pa1=&i1=&bshowgif=&usingssl=&ru/

This is ONLY TO GET YOU TO ENTER YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD!

My REAL Ebay log in already has my username "saved", and the address in the link above is NOT to Ebay, but some other site.

This was reported to Ebay's FRAUD department today.

Pay Pal, and Rent.com are also victims of similar schemes. The Rent.com has cost a lot of people money in the East Bay area where they have sent money to rent a property, and discover either no such property, or it was never for rent in the first place!

"Would-be renter loses $2,500 in online scam
EAST BAY: Woman never heard from Danville property's supposed owner again; hers is not an isolated case, officials say"
here is full article:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/2006/06/22/news/14875623.htm

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Keep your hat on...

Kevin,

He is right on top of your post... The biggest hat scammer in Virginia... He trolls the net to shill a few hats and just be a horse's a.. to the folks on the forums. He calls it fun... I call it sick... :rage:

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Wow that is really slick....
thanks for letting us know.
Since I have been on ebay (back in 2001), I have been only burnt twice with fraud. One guy in Hong Kong sold me something, I did send the money in US$cash and never received something in return. 10 e-mails later and after contacting ebay he disapeared and shut down his online store. The second time I bought a rather more expensive item, paid by postal money order and never received anything either. At first I had some e-mail contact, then he didn't reply anymore, next thing I know is that he cancled his ebay account and ignored any e-mails from me and ebay. Fortunately, I received the address and phone number of that criminal. At first he was very surprised that I have called him, then he hung up and ignored further calls. Ebay suggested to contact a sub-department of the FBI which deals mainly with online fraud. I contacted them and they contacted the local law enforcement center in the crook's city. Guess what......three days later I had my item in the mail...Amazing what a single letter can do :)
Christoph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW