Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay hat I just won

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Good looking hat. I can't tell the form as much as I'd like because black hats don't photograph so well. It looks like a tam from the back, but has that bow.

We hope to see photos as soon as you get it. I don't know why, but it seems 40's to me. But will wait until I see it on you.

Congrats on the hat. You got it for a nice price, too.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hello ladies, I saw Holly's hat and must say good job. I would say that it could be 40's to 50's as well. Black is hard to photograph! The silly doll thing they put it on really doesn’t help out much. I think it's the button eyes. :p

Any way, hope to see some photos soon Holly!

Root.

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Whoo hoo!

That's a gorgeous chapeau. Understated and elegant. I agree that it looks like it's from the '40s (though I'm hardly an expert). Did you see The Aviator? The hats that Kate Beckinsale wears as Ava Garder in the film are to DIE for! The movie's great (and nominated for nearly a dozen Oscars), but honestly, it's worth seeing for the clothing alone.

Congrats, Holly. Can't wait for you to upload pics of you in your latest find. ;)

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Leslie! I'll try to get pics up soon...the hat is fits perfectly but it's more poofy than I expected. Maybe I'm not doing something right.

Yes, I did see the Aviator, great clothes, hair, and hats. The CD is great too.

Wild Root

Gone Home
One thing is for sure! Women's hats are some times hard to understand. One would have to live in that time period to understand how a hat was to be worn. But, from what I can tell you is that most women's hats of the 30's to 50's were worn cocked to one side and depending on the hat, it could be worn twords the front or the back. In the ebay photo it's really hard to make out which is the front or back of the hat. So, tell me more aobut it and I'll give you what ever info I can on it from what I get from you!

Root.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Okay, pics are here. I must say I'm not as impressed with this hat on me. I do apologize as I didn't try styling my hair all vintagy and the quality of the pics were not too great.

First I tried the hat with it sitting straight on.
blackhat2.jpg

blackhat_side1.jpg

Here it is cocked to the side:
blackhat_sidecocked_front1.jpg

blackhat_sidecocked_back1.jpg

blackhat_sidecocked3.jpg

blackhat_sidecocked1.jpg

blackhat_sidecocked2.jpg

blackhat_sidecocked_back2.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It looks best worn tilted to one side. From my studies, I believe that most hat styles were worn slightly tilted (in popular fashion), rather then worn straight on.

I too have the same problem buying hats online. There are only certain styles that look good on me (my favorite are the tiny doll hats popular in the 1930s-40s) and seller's pics can be deceiving!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Holly -- Nice hat. I like it best cocked to the side, it looks like a large beret. Definitely not straight-on and only backwards for a goof.

I think with the right hairdo and some retro clothing, it would be pretty sharp. But, definitely to the side, like you would wear a rakish newsboy cap.

karol

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Hats off!

I actually think it suits you very well! It does have a different shape than I expected, but it looks very cute when cocked to the side and flatters the angles of your face. I would recommend doing more of a Veronica Lake style hairdo, or something smooth on top with big rolls that frame your face. With a retro red lipstick and smouldering eye shadow, you'd be a true femme fatale.

Here's something along the lines of what I'm thinking (sans chapeau, of course):
10045261.jpg

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well Holly, I must say that it looks way better on you then that cookie jar! Yeah I know, some complement I’m sure. It's a hard hat to figure out though. Since you say the inner tag is where the bow is, then that is the back of the hat. Boy, how was that hat designed to be worn? It's a tough one. Maybe the next time you're in California, bring it and I'll see if I can't help.

But, till then I'm thinking the bow does go in the back although, it looks rather good in the front. Well, just watch lots of "I Love Lucy" and see if any one has a hat like that. May help if you're still not quite sure. I think that hat is some what a beret of some type.

Any way, I'm sure you can figure it out and with the right hair style; you'll have no problems pulling it off.

Cheers,

Root.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
It may be that you are wearing it deeper than it should be.
Have you tried tipping it more to the back so that it is sort of perched on the back of your head and your hairline shows, may be an inch or so?
In many of the hat pics from the 50s at least, hats with small or no brims are usually worn so the hairline shows. Some are tilted to the side as well. Only the pill box types are worn straigh on, it seems, and then, they are perched on the head as well.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
All great advice. I may just sell it on ebay. But I may do a up a shot like the Bingstress recommended and put that on ebay. It's hard to sit it further back on the head as then it'd be too big and wouldn't stay.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, it looks to deep to be a toy hat. As for pill box hats, they were worn cocked to one side in the 30's to the 50's and then that trend was gone by the 60's.

Yes Holly, if you're not happy with it, you could re-sell it. There are plenty good lady's hats out there just waiting to be bought.

All the best,

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran