Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay montecristi ripoff?

Richard

Familiar Face
I got this new hat that actually looks to be pretty nicely woven and looks pretty good on me. I like it, but it has some issues that are really bugging me; however, i'd like your collective advice on whether I'm being too picky or whether this is unacceptable. (1) the darn hat band won't stay on. it wasn't on when the hat arrived. It falls off the minute you take off the hat, it needs to be pushed into place when you put on the hat, and it never quite meets the intersection of the brim and the crown; (2) the inner leather sweatband is nice leather, but it is very loosely stitched to the hat, like one stitch per inch. the band is obviously loose in the sense that you can pull at it and see it come off the hat. Is that normal? (3) brim was a little crooked on arrival; is it typical to need to iron the hat? is thata good sign or a bad sign. thank you in advance for your thoughts....hat was pretty cheap, around $50, but these seem to me at least like pretty basic issues that shouldn't be affected by price. but i could be wrong...

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I seriously doubt you've gotten ripped off.

A simple email to the seller is the best remedy for anything.

Heck, it could be one of my hats. We sell on ebay, use simple bands (Not ribbons) and use local workmanship that cuts the prices easily by $150.00 to $300.00. Though you can buy the materials locally for a few dollars, the blockers in the states charge much more and you'll have to ask them why.

However, I plead with people here in two ways. 1. Not to buy blocked directly from Ecuador...buy unblocked and let Art or another supremo hatblocker do his work that appeals to the tastes up here. Or spend the money into the hat one year and then the money into the block the next.

gandydancer

Familiar Face
See my comments in the
"Montecristi Panama Hats We ordered are on the way" thread.

No way these hats are a rip off. Just cheap accessories to keep the price down. I imagine this hats are just about what are worn by the local people down there. The fancy styling and accessories along with a fancy store name stamped on the sweatband cost you a lot ($100 and up).

A needle and some fine black thread will perminately affix that hatband. A nice pleated hatband is $5 from Miller Hats on the web.

Enjoy your hat. I intend to enjoy mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner