Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Woes - Do I Ask For a Refund?

Novos

One of the Regulars
Recently I've had a rash of ebay issues with my leather jacket purchases. For the most part I don't really buy that much online anymore, so the fact that my last two purchases have had issues, makes it more than frustrating with everything ebay.

In the past when a description wasn't 100%, and the item wasn't as described I chalked it up to me having to tread carefully with sellers that seem...clueless. I only requested a return/refund once when I got a jacket that smelled of manure, and the the seller claimed "OH THIS ISN'T A NORMAL SMELL?" Well, duh.

Two months ago I received a jacket that was 1" off in measurements in all dimensions, and more than 1" in the shoulders. I'd had it, politely requested a return, and the seller immediately called me saying they don't want it back, and would I accept a $50 refund. Of course she was slightly bitter about the fact that it sold relatively cheap to begin with. I was ok with the refund, and I know measuring garments can be hard, but 1" is the difference between a jacket that fits and one that doesn't. So it goes to the "sell" pile.

Fast forward to tonight, my horsehide biker jacket arrived. I got a good deal, or so I thought. I knew it probably needed a new liner, but everything seemed sound. I specifically asked the seller "Does the jacket have any foul odours?" The seller never responded, but I still bid and paid despite that. That was my first hint that I might see some trouble. Generally I wouldn't bid but I was flush with some $$$ from a jacket sale months prior.

The seller mentioned "Talon front zip and zippers also at the wrists and left and right bottom back." From that I inferred that all zips were original and working, Talons no less. Only one zip is Talon, more than half have been replaced with cheap YKKs. Sigh. There were ample pics, but were low res so the zips are mostly a blur. And somehow the seller managed to snag pics that don't have any of the weird mold-esque stains (seller mentioned jacket could "...use a cleaning"), an understatement of course. And there is loose stitching, the seller mentions one area, but there is MORE at other points to boot.

When I sell, I might not take a picture of EVERY issue (will get the main ones of course), but will always add everything in the description, and will price it accordingly. The seller did mention most issues, but the description regarding the extent of these issues is lacking.

I love the styling of the jacket, it fits well, but it is plagued with a bunch of little issues. Don't really want to send it back, it was a cheap-ish price, but I still feel like I've been had. And since I've had some issues lately, I don't want to have it on my conscience that "I'm that guy" wrangling sellers for problems that come with the territory of vintage leathers.

What would you fine FL'ers do?

Last edited:

dogguira

New in Town
I'd ask for a refund. Mold is more than a cleaning. Also the seller mislead you on the zipper issue.

winterland1

Practically Family
Sorry to hear. I have been very lucky on Ebay.
I always ask extra questions. Any flaws? Anything replaced? not original? Double check measurements etc.
It sounds like their description was not accurate and that would be a valid reason to return.
I always go through Ebays return procedure if there is a chance to get ripped off. You return an item and they don't refund the purchase price etc.
You could always ask for a partial refund also. Ebay is a great place to get items cheaper than retail. Good Luck.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I would try for a refund. Buying vintage leather jackets is a minefield, with mold and odours being a major issue. If you asked if there were any smells or mold and the seller didn't answer, that would have been the end of it for me, no matter how good the jacket looked.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As already stated, try for the refund.

In the future...
Red Flag Warning

Blurred photos.
Information not specific or clear.
Don't assume .
And if there is no response from the seller ...
I would pass it up.

Good Luck !

xmr

One of the Regulars
Yeah, go for a refund, you won't be happy.

I just won an eastman A1 on ebay, the seller (from belgium, about 200km away) wanted 35 EUR shipping costs. I thought it's an estimate and he'd charge actual shipping costs after the auction (16 EUR). But he told me "No, 20 EUR extra is for packing/drive to post office". The price is still ok, but sellers there try everything to increase the final price lately.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, go for a refund, you won't be happy.

I just won an eastman A1 on ebay, the seller (from belgium, about 200km away) wanted 35 EUR shipping costs. I thought it's an estimate and he'd charge actual shipping costs after the auction (16 EUR). But he told me "No, 20 EUR extra is for packing/drive to post office". The price is still ok, but sellers there try everything to increase the final price lately.

Repeat...Never assume !

nevadapd

Familiar Face
As Cooperson noted, buying vintage leather jackets is a minefield, especially if you are particular in your taste, preoccupied with detail, and generally trying to be a savvy buyer. Who among us isn't? If we weren't, why would we be here? Given that is how it is, some of us have made connections with people who can fix jacket problems that arrive in a box at your door. In my case, a couple of local small businesses (one of them being a shoe repair shop run by a biker who clearly, from the look of his shop, does a lot of jacket repair business) have proved helpful. So for me, the real questions are "Does it fit?" (if not, send it back); "Do I really like it?" and, if there's something wrong with it, "Can it be fixed?" and maybe, "How much will it cost to fix it?" If your answer to those last three questions are "Yes," "Yes," and "Sounds reasonable," then consider keeping it. It's harder for me to find vintage leather jackets in my size, so maybe that's why I've gone down this path, but those are my thoughts in response to your question.

As already stated, try for the refund.

In the future...
Red Flag Warning

Blurred photos.
Information not specific or clear.
Don't assume .
And if there is no response from the seller ...
I would pass it up.

Good Luck !

100%
Not trying to beat on you but the warning signs were there.
Live and learn. Good luck on the refund.

Novos

One of the Regulars
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I'm leaning more towards return/refund. I guess part of the reason I also bid, and stupidly forgot to mention, is the seller is a top rated plus seller with tons of good feedback. Obviously what this person selling runs the gamut, but there is a fair bit of clothing. Despite the non-response I thought for all these reasons it would be a safer bet. Obviously not. ;)

And trust me I'm a super cynical guy, and know all the warning signs like I mentioned above. Surely you ALL have been lured by that one vintage jacket, that fits your (or my) odd proportions.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I'm leaning more towards return/refund. I guess part of the reason I also bid, and stupidly forgot to mention, is the seller is a top rated plus seller with tons of good feedback. Obviously what this person selling runs the gamut, but there is a fair bit of clothing. Despite the non-response I thought for all these reasons it would be a safer bet. Obviously not. ;)

I've only been burned once on eBay in almost 14 years. Follow your gut and look for the signs. Good feedback is one piece, but not everything. Luckily buyers are protected heavily on eBay/paypal.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just received an 'as new condition' MA1 50's replica which as well as stains has significant moth damage to cuffs & waistband :eeek:. Needless to say I've requested a refund. Certainly some things are fixable, if the general jacket quality had been better I would have bought replacement cuffs & waistband (got jacket cheap) and asked the local nylon wizard to sort it out.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Insist on a refund for a jacket sharply different than as described. If the seller refuses, tell the seller that you are going to file a claim with EBay and PayPal. Stand your ground. Don't make someone else's useless junk yours.

technovox

One Too Many
Insist on a refund for a jacket sharply different than as described. If the seller refuses, tell the seller that you are going to file a claim with EBay and PayPal. Stand your ground. Don't make someone else's useless junk yours.
I agree. I would return it, if it was up to me. Too many problems that will be difficult to correct. When I first started buying on ebay in the early days, sellers could get away with poor service and misrepresenting merchandise without any recourse. Today ebay typically sides with the buyers if there is a problem. So you've got the upper hand if you want to return the item.
That being said, I just picked up a beautiful vintage black leather, made-in-detroit, cafe racer on ebay for under $100. It's in immaculate condition and fits like it was tailored just for me (and my long arms.) Just one of those lucky ebay buys that makes suffering through all the ebay riff-raff worthwhile.
Good luck!

Tkecks

Familiar Face
I buy and sell a lot on ebay, and while the description and photos don't sound great, one of the reasons you got it at a low price is likely because other potential bidders were probably dissuaded by the weak listing.

You're always taking a chance bidding on a weak item (or 1-rated seller). If you see a poorly listed item from an inexperienced seller, you might be able to put it down to an i-phone-idiot not knowing how crummy their photos are (etc); or simply someone not knowing what they are selling (look at their other items/previous sales: are they just an old couple clearing out the cupboards?). On the other hand, an experienced seller with a poor listing raises different flags: if they know how to sell an item, why is this one listed badly? So you take the chance and sometimes you'll not get quite what you expected... sometimes this means you get a dud, and other times a real gem (like my Ralph Edwards G-1, SCORE!)

Ebay is hard on sellers too, at least buyer have multiple levels of protection. I've missed out on decent sales because of ridiculous bids from no-show buyers, which is especially annoying for time-critical sales periods (e.g. xmas).

Sometimes I wonder whether EbAy are actually really smart and that their lousy search engines and all-round crumminess is to make hidden gems possible (drawing in savvy buyers)... but actually I think that it's just a poorly run site that survives through size alone.

Novos

One of the Regulars
Oh yeah, thanks everyone for their feedback. I sell on ebay too, so I know the some of the issues that can be thrown up by shitty buyers, time wasters and people with a general attitude problem.

So I contacted my seller, and just sent a polite message to the effect of "hey, the description isn't right, there are lots of issues condition wise that weren't mentioned, hopefully we can work this out - either via return or partial refund, whatever suits the situation best. Let's talk etc. etc." The seller never responded. I have now escalated my case via Ebay, it's just so bizarre that the seller has been completely mute about this entire issue. Tons of positive feedback all selling clothing/jackets etc, surely this person realizes that not responding means that ebay will most likely side with me. Ebay can be strange at times.

I just had a scammer try to buy a watch from me. Luckily I was smarter than him. Sucks bad when it's a lot of money too.
Always protect yourself and your money. File a claim and if they're legit they'll understand.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah, thanks everyone for their feedback. I sell on ebay too, so I know the some of the issues that can be thrown up by shitty buyers, time wasters and people with a general attitude problem.

So I contacted my seller, and just sent a polite message to the effect of "hey, the description isn't right, there are lots of issues condition wise that weren't mentioned, hopefully we can work this out - either via return or partial refund, whatever suits the situation best. Let's talk etc. etc." The seller never responded. I have now escalated my case via Ebay, it's just so bizarre that the seller has been completely mute about this entire issue. Tons of positive feedback all selling clothing/jackets etc, surely this person realizes that not responding means that ebay will most likely side with me. Ebay can be strange at times.

I may have missed it but let me ask you this. Have you ever communicated directly with this seller ?
With regards to Q & A about the jacket & the seller actually answering your questions ?
Or did the seller never responded but you still went ahead & made the purchase ?

Some would point out...what difference does it make now ! And they are right.

I had a similar case & only after I escalated my case via eBay.... did the seller come
out & bitterly emailed me...asking why I had done this , that he had tons of things to do
& was very very busy, his cat died & on & on....[huh]...sorry I didn't know....I replied...
all he had to do was reply as a courtesy ! But there was many issues on his part.

Good Luck with your case,

Jake

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
As for the Zips I would Just replace them, not before I slammed that sucker Into the washing machine and gave it a whirl-Lesson learned. Cant get worse..you know.

Things get mouldy and rot...Not all sellers know whats what when It comes to leather Jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner