Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eccentrics

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I was having a conversation with a friend recently about the term "eccentric" is it a compliment, term of endearment or insult?

I always thought it something of a compliment but now I have a little doubt.

Who would you describe as the great eccentrics of all time? Maybe that'll shine some light on the matter.

Thanks,

EB

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've given this a lot of thought.

I think eccentric is a less than complimentary term, because you rarely hear it applied to a person who is accomplished or respected in the public eye, no matter how daffy they may be. It carries a connotation of being deeply asocial, and maybe, that whatever it is you do is not very important.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I like the term eccentric!

Here's one for you, Lord Bath! He's great:

74842swnslordbath7502.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think eccentric is a lovely compliment -- if one happens to also be British. When you think of a "British Eccentric," you think of a colorful gentleman who goes hunting in evening clothes, wears a walrus moustache, and actually says HAW! HAW! when he laughs.

An "American Eccentric" tends to be a long-bearded urban hermit, who lives in a decaying house in a once-fashionable neighborhood, surrounded by tunnels of old newspaper, and mumbling incoherently to a cat.

(Except for the long beard, that would be me, actually.)

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
I don't mind "eccentric." I mean, there are a lot worse things to be called! Besides, "eccentric" has a nice, British-y old fashioned flavor to it.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Good question.

Dictionary definitions, FWIW:

–adjective
deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.

–noun
a person who has an unusual, peculiar, or odd personality, set of beliefs, or behavior pattern.

In general, no, I don't think most people take it as a compliment. For me personally, I'd rather be thought of as a nicely dressed "eccentric" than a normal slob with the pants hanging down and a ball cap on bass-ackwards.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
An interesting book on the topic is Great American Eccentrics: Strange and Peculiar People by Carl Sifakis. This is an anthology of biographical sketches of 140 characters the author considers eccentrics. He notes that each generation has it's own definition of eccentric and, in more contemporary times, the term has become more derogatory as "society" has come to accept--in only a few--the sane whimsy or crazy sanity that marks a true eccentric.

A few of the more notable eccentrics identified in this book include: John Chapman (a/k/a Johnny Appleseed), John Cleves Symmes (the hollow earther), Sylvester Graham, Boston Corbett (the man who killed John Wilkes Booth,), Hetty Green, Sarah Winchester (The unfinished mansion), Ned Green, Mary Mallon (Typoid Mary), Augustus Stuyvesant, Alvin "Shipwreck" Kelly, Etc, Etc.

All-in-all, an interesting anthology of "people following their own rules 24 hours a day--because they know there code is the right one and everyone else is wrong; because they do not want to compete by conventional standards; or because their eccentricity seems the only way to gain recognition as an individual."

John

anon`

One Too Many
I love eccentric!

I have no idea if it's supposed to be a compliment or insult, but I do self-profess to be (or to be one). I'm sure there are more than a few acquaintances of mine who would agree. Except for a very dear British friend of mine, who has pronounced me to be simply "mental".

Anyway, it's a badge that I wear proudly.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
To call someone eccentric is probably not polite. Around here you might be told "you're a character!" or you may say "Well Bless Your Heart". Thats a nice way of saying "you're eccentric".

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Spanish painter

Ethan Bentley said:
Who would you describe as the great eccentrics of all time? Maybe that'll shine some light on the matter.

Here you have genius Salvador Dali Surrealist artist and 'eccentric par excellence'. :D
That's the only kind of eccentrics i like, the ones who channel their eccentricity through art! :eusa_clap

salvador.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
:cry:

Does it have to be "traditional media" art, or does anything they have a high level of skill with count?

Diamondback, i was primarily thinking art, but i guess if they succeed in what they do, and their work is recognized by the world at large, as a substancial contribution, well, that's ok too, they can afford to be eccentric :p

It's only that in my opinion, artists do it in a more amusing way! ;) :D

Tiller

Practically Family
I always think of Sherlock Holmes when I hear the word eccentric. Someone brilliant who happens to hide his cigars in the coal box, his pipe tobacco in the end of a Persian slipper, and starts the day by smoking the left over dottle from the day before.

To me I think of the guys who play a violin when he is bored, and has little care about what others think of him. House would be another fictional character who would be considered a "eccentric", as would Hercule Poirot, and Nero Wolfe.

An entire genre is based on eccentric people, they are called superheros. Men and women who save the world in their long underwear, or who dress up like animals in order to put the fear of flying rodents into the hearts of evil around the world.

In the modern world Artist, Radio Talk Show host, and a few famous scientist (such as Einstein) would probably be considered today's modern eccentrics, along with some businessmen.

So in short I don't consider it a insult. I see it more as a compliment. Although if you aren't a eccentric, but someones calls you one it may bother you. If you are a real eccentric though you probably wouldn't give a damn what people think of you anyways lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails