Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Einstein & the planet Vulcan

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
In all my years of trekkiness, I have NEVER heard one person make one reference to a real planet named vulcan....
No wonder Spock was so cranky in the 1930s.

http://dir.yahoo.com/thespark/5543/vulcan-the-planet-that-never-was

Vulcan: The Planet That Never Was

By Mitzi Buchanan
Tue, January 2, 2007, 12:01 am PST

Alas, poor Pluto. Demoted last year to dwarf planet status -- not really a planet after all. At least its "day in the sun" lasted for 75 years. We bid it a fond farewell as we pluck it out of the solar system mobile from our fourth-grade science project. Now consider the tragic story of Vulcan. It began its life in 1859 as a calculus equation when French mathematician Urbain Le Verrier tried to account for Mercury's deviation from its predicted orbit. Was it caused by a new planet? After all, Neptune was discovered this way. Over the years, scientists and amateur astronomers joined in the search for the hypothetical planet, but Mercury's proximity to the sun made it difficult to view. Was it just a sunspot or an asteroid? It was a moot point by 1915 when Einstein announced his General Theory of Relativity. It neatly explained the wibble in Mercury's wobble and later viewings during an eclipse confirmed it. There was no planet Vulcan. Ah, fleeting fame!

GOK

One Too Many
Is OJ saying;

"Wha'....where'd it go? I swear planet Vulcan was here a minute ago"

lol

And yes, I know it is completely infantile but I had to snigger when I read this:

Six Moons of Uranus, 1787

I blame Bart Simpson! lol

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I see I'm 5 years late to this discussion, but James Blish, in several of his adaptations of "Star Trek" scripts, mentions that Spock is *not* from the solar system planet called Vulcan, but from a planet circling another star entirely.

Without looking, I think you'll find it mentioned in the first ST collection, possibly in his adaptation of "Charlie X."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran