Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elastic Band Thingy around Arms of Shirts - What is it?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
So I was watching Bessie Smith's St. Louis Blues on Youtube, which by the way is hilarious and noticed that Bessie Smith's cheating man Jimmy had some type of elastic band thingy around the arms of his shirt. I believe I have seen other men with this but what is it and what's it for. You can see it on "Jimmy" starting at 4:19 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1wtjO4In8

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Gilboa said:
They are used to keep your shirt's sleeves at the right length.

Thank you. I thought that shirt sleeves stayed at the right length anyway but then again I don't know that much about men's clothing past or present.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Sleeve garters and green eyeshades

These were used by clerical workers whose job required them to write in large ledger books with fountain pens. By hiking up the sleeves and fixing them in place with sleeve garters, the clerks could reduce the chances of getting ink stains on their cuffs.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
KILO NOVEMBER said:
These were used by clerical workers whose job required them to write in large ledger books with fountain pens. By hiking up the sleeves and fixing them in place with sleeve garters, the clerks could reduce the chances of getting ink stains on their cuffs.

Ahh! Thanks for this little historical tidbit. I have never heard of them.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
They were used by all kinds of people. Shirts, unless custom, tailor-made, tended to have overlong sleeves. A sort of "one size fits all" thing. To get the sleeve-lengths right for you, you pulled them up and held them in place with sleeve-garters.

It wasn't just clerics who used them. Almost anyone and everyone did.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Shangas said:
They were used by all kinds of people. Shirts, unless custom, tailor-made, tended to have overlong sleeves. A sort of "one size fits all" thing. To get the sleeve-lengths right for you, you pulled them up and held them in place with sleeve-garters.

It wasn't just clerics who used them. Almost anyone and everyone did.

This makes sense because I have seen them on men in old pics but never gave it much thought til watching this clip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21