Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elderly Parents and Bad Illness

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
John -- My prayers and good wishes are with you and your family.

I live with my elderly mother and feel blessed to spend time with her after living so many years away from her. They are so precious; we are lucky to have them with us still and, I hope, for years to come.

karol

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My thoughts and prayers are with your Mother, as well as you and your family. as someone who is a care-giver for an elderly parent, I know exactly how you feel. God bless your Mother, and God bless you for taking care of her.

DOing better!

Hi All!

I spoke with the nurse this morning at 10am on the phone to ask about mom and she said Mom is doing better. So this afternoon when i got there Chris joined me and we sat with mom. Although weak, she was much improved as the antibiotics had kicked in. Mom smiled when i got there and managed to say MOM, YES and OK in response to our questions. Yesterdays pain and / or frustrations seems to be a dim memory to her, and the nurse said they had given her a minimal dose of (spelling) Per-ka-set to calm her down a bit. We are hoping for less complications now on out and more recovery for now. Thank God for this turn around and for all of the thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Flivver

Practically Family
I'm so glad to learn she's doing better. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I've been caring for elderly parents for four years now and know what you're goung through. There's nothing tougher to deal with than when one of them is critically ill.

I hope your Mom makes a speedy recovery!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
John, my thoughts are with you and your family. I've been through similar circumstances with my own grandmother and most recently a great aunt at the beginning of the year. She had no living immediate family of her own, so my husband and his mother helped to care for her. She had no children and always treated my husband and his brother as her own kids, they were very close. It's never easy.

DOing a little better today 10/25

Mom was doing well enough to get transfered from ICU back to the regular hospital area and is in Rm 521A now. She was tired and a little pissed off from the glucose testing. She is sensative to pain and that little poker has her totally P'd-off!

Well other than tired when i got there she looked a little better and even said: "Oh, my Goodness!" when I told her about the young lady that was her roomie a few days ago, burst appendix. The girl was walking down by the chaple and caffeteria with her cousin and I got to say hello. She said she was doing better too and was glad to here about mom on the improvment side.

Again my thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers for mom.

Sincerely,

Dagwood

Practically Family
John:

Please know that I am also praying for you and your family. May God bless and comfort you during this time.

Please keep us updated.

Going to the Rehabilitation Place soon.

Here at the hospital the Social Services dept assisngs a case worker that helps co-ordinate and communicate what is going on. Our case worker judy has called my brother and I to let us know that probably sometime in the next couple of days Mom will go to the Rehab place so they can start her excercising and get her up and mobile.

Sincerely,

R

Ron

Glad your mom is better John, and I'll keep her and your family on the prayer list at my church.

Ron

10/29

Hi All!

Mom (Edith Erickson) was moved to the Rehabilitation place this afternoon to
Room 125
Gladstone Care Rehab
435 East Gladstone Street
Glendora, CA 91740
626-963-5955

She was tired from the move and was in some pain we think is from the relocated feeding tube which was moved to her stomach area. The tube down her nose needed to be replaced. She was very uncomfortable and they were waiting for her pain medication to get delivered this evening as the Rehab place does not have drugs on hand. Her left forearm and hand was swollen too, I don't know why.

One thing was the room off the same entrance had a poor woman in tremendous pain that was crying and moaning really loudly even after her pain meds were administered. I asked that they move mom or the lady, since there would be no way to get any rest with that wailing. If it is the same tomorrow I wil insist.

Well your prayers are still asked for at this end, as mom is not out of the hole yet and for the woman next section over.

Sincerely,

10/30

I met up with Chris and Tessie along with Tessie's sister Fele (Fay-lay) at the Rehab Center. mom looked a little better but still a little confused. She seems to be able to swallow a bit better and we gave her some ice water as her mouth and throat were parched. Fele had some suggestions and I asked the section nurse a ton of questions. Seems like they are a bit more organized today once Fele got them straightened out as she is an RN at the Inter Valley Hospital and knows her stuff. Actually Fele just kinda reviewed what the major concerns were from her stand point with them.

Just hope that the infection is held at bay and erradicated while mom gets stronger and can do some excercises to get her up and around.

Sincerely,

mom 11/3

Hi All!

I wasn't able to update you all on mom's condition as I was away for work to the APEX / SEMA show in Las Vegas. Wednesday thru Firday. It is a huge show taking up pretty much all of the space at both the Las Vegas Convention Center for SEMA and the Sands Convention Center plus some of the Ventiatian confrence center areas for Apex. I walked alot Wednesday and Thursday and got to work the booth for a bit and walk Friday.

So I am back and visited mom on Saturday with Chris there too. Mom is not getting better right now, she seems to be stuck in a half awake state. Chris spoke to the doctor and they are going to wait a bit to see if she picks up, but are considering upping the steroids to promote healing.

I am hoping we can kick the healing ito gear and get her mobile again.

I saw a lady bring their little dog to the rehab place so today I will bring Max the Wunderdog to see Mama!

SIncerely,

MOM 11/4

Stopped by to see mom today and she seemed a little more awake than yesterday, so a slight improvement there. I am happy to say I brought Max the Wunderdog to see Mama and he was happy to she her, and mom really perked up when i put Max on her bed so she could pet him. That looked like a high light for mom's day right there.

Chris and Tessie were there and Max got overly excited after a while so i had to take him out and head for home.

SO. I will try to bring Max next weekend or possibly during the week if time allows.

Sincerely,

panamag8or

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Stopped by to see mom today and she seemed a little more awake than yesterday, so a slight improvement there. I am happy to say I brought Max the Wunderdog to see Mama and he was happy to she her, and mom really perked up when i put Max on her bed so she could pet him. That looked like a high light for mom's day right there.

Chris and Tessie were there and Max got overly excited after a while so i had to take him out and head for home.

SO. I will try to bring Max next weekend or possibly during the week if time allows.

Sincerely,

Keep bringing Max to see her. Therapy animals really work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner