Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elderly Parents and Bad Illness

My heartfelt thanks to you all.

To all of you that have taken the time to read my posts about mom and especially those that have taken the time (or will in the future) to write their condolences. They are much appreciated by me and my brother. We spent time with mom and did our best to protect her as this battle to heal went on. It was for me, a great relief to spend time writing out the events of the days and weeks as mom struggled to regain her health , it helped me remain grounded yet hopeful and allowed me to take stock of the day.

Sad as I am, I remain joyful that she has been released from these bonds to be home with our Lord, that her pain is no longer the daily burden. I regret the trips that we did not get to take, the visits we did not get to have and the chance to have guests over once again so that they would get to see and feel the wonderful charm and conviviality that my mom shared with everyone that came in contact with her.

My heartfelt thanks to you all.

The tentative plans are for a viewing Saturday February 2nd. from 1pm until 5pm at Pierce Brothers Mortuary 2333 W. Merced Ave in West Covina CA 91790
Their number is 626-962-3753.

I remain so very thankful for all of the moral support from all those Loungers

Boris K

One of the Regulars

My condolences, John.

You did well in a very trying experience. You are a fine person.

Take heart in that she certainly recognized what a wonderful son you are. You were there when she needed you most.

Best wishes,

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John, I am so sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. She is at peace now and the pain is gone.

This evening marks the 9th anniversary of my Mom's passing. The pain subsides, but never truly goes away. My Mom is alive in my dreams to this day, as I'm sure your Mom will be in yours.

You and I should count ourselves very lucky to have Moms like ours.

And I'm very glad to have had the chance to meet your lovely mother.

Remember the good times always.

Love and Loss

Thanks again all of you. From the experience of losing Dad back in November of 1999 I have found that grief is as others have described it to me:

We grieve not as much for the person that has passed away but for our selves. The loss is close and personal, it is a major chunk taken out of our lives and hearts. That loss, the gap it creates makes for the grief of missing that person so intensely. The best thing to do is to fill that hole with the best memories of happy times and over time the loss is not felt as keenly, but the love for that person does not diminish.

Itinerary

Viewing Saturday Feb.2nd, 2008 from 1-5 PM
At
Pierce Brothers Mortuary
2333 West Merced Ave
West Covina

Memorial Service Feb 9th, 2008 the next Saturday at 3 PM

Trinity Lutheran Church (LCMS)
16050 East San Bernardino Road
Covina, CA 91722

In lieu of Flowers you can send a check to the American Cancer Society or charity of your choice.

Sincere best regards

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
My deepest condolences, John. I'm glad I had the opportunity to have met her at your barbeque last May. She was a sweet, delightful person and I enjoyed talking with her. I feel your loss.

God bless you, John.

Lee

KilroyCD

One Too Many
John, I just saw the update to the thread. I'm terribly sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Please accept my most sincere condolences. I can appreciate what you're going through at this time. As you were aware at the time, I lost my mother on Christmas eve. She too had been battling health issues (for the last seven years of her life). Though it's easy to dwell upon her passing, I have found that it's eases the pain if you take the time to remember all the great, funny or just wonderful things your mother was a part of, and to keep those memories at the forefront. Celebrate her life, and all the richness she has brought. I know this has helped me deal with my mother's passing quite a bit.
God Bless.

Getting together to celebrate a life.

We had the viewing yesterday and it was a small crowd of local people, my closest friends that knew mom thru the many get-togethers at the house, some people from church, my sister in laws family came to pay their respects. As is the custom out here we set up food and drinks in the kitchen area so the participants were able to have coffee. soda or water even a small sandwich or snack to sustain them. The sandwiches went fast there were just a few left over.

Anyway, we talked about mom's life and commented on just how beautiful the floral arrangements were and how comforting they are to have there.

They did a good job at the Mortuary on mom she was looking like she was sleeping as I had seen her many times at the convalescent home. We said good bye and I only regretted the trips we weren't able to take as mom wanted to see San Fransisco and the Napa area.

She had a good life and was part of that generation of Europeans that seen life under the Nazis and came to America to find a good life ahead.

She met my father on that fateful first trip to the US i think in 1948, when she came with an Uncle that was a car dealer in Denmark. He came to visit Chrysler if I remember right, to see about bringing them to Denmark. My dad and his friends were friends with another of mom's Uncles (Peter) that lived in Valley Stream and dad met mom there. They only had 2 dates and dad asked mom to marry him, that is how sure he was that that was the girl for him. ( Kinda makes you think that maybe we over analize things today.)

So a visit turned into a life.

Some great pictures of Mom

If you get a chance and would like to see mom's pictures, you can visit

www.mem.com

and type in Erickson / Edith then select mom by birthdate March 13, 1928. The pictures can be viewed as a Movie or as images.

The earliest is mom at about 14 and 16 then a handful of later in the US and towards the last few years.

There are a number of photo albums I can't find, so carefully has mom hidden them. However i found two boxes of utility bills from the late 1990's on Long island that were deemed important enough to drag across the continent. ???

Sincerely,

warbird

One Too Many
Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers for you and the family. Your attitude seems to be in excellent shape. There are always many emotions at these times. The trick seems to be accepting and dealing with each one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner