Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elderly Parents and Bad Illness

mom 12/21 so far so good

Mom Update 12/21/07

Mom seems to be pretty ok today but was tired when I got there. Chris had been there earlier. Mom’s arm looked puffy and they were saying it maybe due to the diet, but they will keep an eye on it.. After Christmas they will look into solid food or at least pureed again. I hope that she will be in recovery mode again. And get some physical therapy to get mobile too. Maybe get the radiation finished as she has 10 of the 15 out of the way.

Edith Erickson
C/O Rowland Covalescent Home
(RM#100-A)
330 West Rowland Ave
Covina, CA 91723

626-967-2741

Sincerely,

Christmas Day

Christmas Greetings to all!

Mom Update 12/25/07

Yesterday Mom was not doing as well, she was a bit out of it and had pulled the bed sore dressing off. I asked the nurse about it and the got her cleaned up and changed the dressing but she was still a bit in distress so they wanted to give her some pain meds.

Today Mom seems to be pretty good and was more aware too. She smiled and said Merry Christmas back to me so she was better than Monday.

Max the Dachshund has hurt his back so last night we went to the emergency pet hospital for some shots and pills until the regular vet is open. He probably popped a disc in his back and will be sore until the vertebrae fuse together some. When it rains it pours. I have Max on a reduction diet and he has lost some weight so far with some more to go.

Edith Erickson
C/O Rowland Convalescent Home
(RM#100-A)
330 West Rowland Ave
Covina, CA 91723

626-967-2741

Sincerely,

12/29-30

Mom Update 12/29-30

Yesterday Mom was sleeping when I visited and so I did not wake her as the nurse gave her some meds thru the G-tube. Today she wasn’t well, she was a bit out of it and I asked them to give her some pain meds. She curls up into nearly a fetal position at times of distress. I asked the nurse to keep an eye on her. I Am hoping to contact the doctor after New Years.

Max the Dachshund had hurt his back on Christmas Eve and the emergency pet hospital has given him some pills called Rimadyl that seems to be working quite well he is doing much better in the last day or so. I took him to the regular vet for x-rays. His back seems about the same as last time so it maybe the original injured disc in his back and will be sore as the vertebrae fused together, he may have some calcium rubbing him the wrong way.

Edith Erickson
C/O Rowland Convalescent Home
(RM#100-A)
330 West Rowland Ave
Covina, CA 91723

Sincerely,

1/16

Mom Update 1-16-08

Mom tends to be kind of quiet but will respond with yes and no to questions, and her eyes are clear. She is a little down right now spirits wise. Tuesday she was sound asleep when I got there.

As previous:
She is having some pain issues and they had upped her pain meds. Her bedsore continues to be healing well and the wound care it doing a good job.

Mentally she is not really bouncing back with maybe one day a week she seems to be there and but is now a little more responsive most of the time. In the morning she tends to be a little better, once she is tired she is quieter.

They did a blood test to check for infection and her count on some stuff was a little high and they are going to keep an eye on her.

Hospital & ER time

Hi All,

Mom was doing so so the past week, pretty quiet for the most part. Today, when I got to the convalenscent home at Rowland the nurse said go talk to the head nurse, they sent mom to the hospital. She was ill this afternoon with diarreah and vomiting, she may have aspirated the vomit and was having problems breathing.

I talked to the nurse and they sent her to a new hospital Foothill Presbyterian in Glendora. She was in the Emergency room. Chris & Tessie were already there. They left as Chris wasn't feeling so good so I stayed so i could clue in the doctor when they did the examination. I got to explain what was up and they took blood then gave mom some pain medication as she was in pain. She was calming down and the doctor said she'll be admitted, so I figure she be out of emergency and in another section by tomorrow. Although it is serious it doesn't seem to be life threatening right now so I came home.

Sincerely,

Foofoogal

Banned
I am so very, very sorry. My prayers are with you and your family. You were a very good son to your mom and did everything you could do. Bless you.

The Shirt

Practically Family
John - There is nothing more difficult than watching someone you love so dearly (as proven by loving attendance to her care) struggle so hard and so long. Know that she has found peace and that you have taken the best care of her that was possible. My sincerest and heartfelt condolences at this time for you and all of your family.

Hondo

One Too Many
My condolences as well, having elderly parents, I try to spend as much time as possible, you can only do so much, but I’m sure she knows you were a good son, grown man and very blessed, I hope I am as strong as you come that fateful day, take care.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to hear of your loss John. My Mum passed away 3 years ago and it was tough. Remember though that you are half her and so in a way she's always with you.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
John,

I am so sorry for your great loss. My most sincere condolences. Edith was a warm and fun lady, I am sure you will miss her greatly. Hopefully, you will be able to take some comfort in the fact that her suffering has ended. Please be sure to take care of yourself during your grieving.

God bless,

Shellie

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm so sorry to hear this, John. You have my heart-felt condolensces. I went through the same with my mom a little over 3 years ago after caring for her for a decade. Your mom fought a long, valiant battle but is at peace now. Remember, too, that you'll always have your memories. Take care of yourself - the next few weeks will be tough. My thoughts are with you and your family during this sad time.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Oh, John, I'm so sorry to hear this. She was awfully lucky to have a son who took such good care of her. Heartfelt condolences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner