Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Election Night Watch Party--What's your drink of choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET

One of the Regulars
mmm Jameson's Irish Whiskey. not a political statement. Just the best whiskey I have on hand. But then again, that's what I am having tonight too...

incidentally, Tortsworth Dracula avatar is outstanding. 2 points if you can identify mine. Completely off topic so I may start another thread sometime. Someone started one recently about user names so maybe there should be one about avatars...

HungaryTom

One Too Many
My Choice

This:
Palinka.jpg

with this:
product-454000.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HungaryTom, that is GREAT! I'm afraid I may have to go along with dhermann1 and staggerwing at the end of the night though. Where do you buy hemlock?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
But Pabst won the blue ribbon in the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Has the recipe changed since then?
I'm not sure about the recipe and I rather doubt it, but the company sure has. It's just a brand, just a label that outsources its production. Imagine if Samuel Adams did so, or Yuengling?

It's just cynical marketing, clever, but cynical, pretending to be this tiny authentic down-market brewer when in fact your product is made by Miller and your image has been crafted by ad-men.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, but marketing fascinates me. I get totally sucked in by Peroni's ad campaigne, which is masterful and touches on everything I am passionate about.

I won't be drinking tonight. I have meetings at 8AM tomorrow. My drink of choice as the results come pouring in will be Pepsi or tea!

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Rushes into the room disheveled and sweating....

Give me a drink! Please! Someone! Anything will do: a little Knob Creek or Bookers, even Beam's Choice - straight up please.

That's better. Thank heaven for the Fedora Lounge!

The flying and sailing forums are awash in political vitriol. I just want to relax with a drink or three and a cigar.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
tortswon said:
I'll be drinking mai tais in support of my candidate's roots. If his opponent looks like he is going to win, it's straight to shots of tequila. Regardless, I wish the winner and America good luck and success (that will be the toast all night). Best, Sam

I once spent three months searching for the best Mai Tai in Honolulu. I started at the Banyan Tree bar on the beach at the Royal Hawaiian hotel then went to Trader Vic's (It was still open then) and every likely bar in town including the piano bar at the Tahitian Lanai. I finally found it at a biker/college bar near the UH Manoa campus called Anna Bannannas (Gary Budlong, the founder told me he didn't know how to spell banana when he filled out his application for business license). I learned that I don't really like Mai Tais and have since stuck to draft beer or bourbon.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
I changed my mind.
No Scotch after all.
I think champagne.
PINK? ;) :)

just me said:
SNORK!! lol
That can't be good! Still breathing OK?

ET said:
...2 points if you can identify mine.... (re: avatar)
The Mad Hatter looking for the rest of the Twister participants? [huh]

HungaryTom said:
French fries/pommes frites? [huh]

Mr Paladin said:
... Where do you buy hemlock?
Greece.

Gatorade and Dr. Pepper--it's gonna be a loooooooooooong few days after, I'm gonna need the caffeine and electrolytes to keep myself awake and alert just in case... to say nothing of the fact that part of the reason for that is that I've got a project in "endgame stage" and I'd like to finish it off ASAP so I can get to scheduling my flight out of town for Christmas.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Brother And Sister - Father And Son - The Fleet Enters Hyperspace
via FoxyTunes

Hap

New in Town
Make mine a Bushmills Irish Whiskey with a splash of ginger-ale on the rocks. And LizzieMaine has got me thinking about PBR. There's a couple of local watering holes here in Nashville that serve it on tap - beer snobs look down their noses at it, but folks in Nashville seem to have a real affection for it. PBR sales shot up 99% in Nashville back in 2003 (that factoid provided by briansbelly.com).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Drinking a heavily advertised brand is honestly okay if you're not all pretentious about it. What about all the Pabst drinkers from back in the day?

I almost hate admitting it, but I like the taste of Rolling Rock a little more now that it it's no longer made in Pennsylvania. Seems there's a little more bite.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To be honest, I'm selling PBR tonight because it's cheap -- a half-barrell of draft costs us $47 wholesale, and contains 124 pints. And if I can sell that half-barrell for $2 a pint -- well, what could be more American than that??

We sour old New Englanders prefer Narragansett, but even that's gone upscale now: it's brewed in *ROCHESTER.* What could be more pretentious than that?

carter

I'll Lock Up
I drank PBR longnecks back in the day and still do. Just not as often. It was good enough then and it's good enough now. It's a fine everyday beer.

Heck, if advertising mattered to me I'd be drinking some top-brewed blackberry-lemon wheatbier in the warm months and a pale ale, porter, or stout in cooler weather. They're all just fine but I don't have to think about PBR and it's easy to say in a crowded bar.

Now, I need a Beer! Nurse!;) :)

Carter, you sound like Sam on Burn Notice...:p considering that at east once or twice an episode he says "I need a beer" or "Who wants a beer?" or some other riff on the "out of hops'n'barley" theme.lol

Lizzie, see Rochester and raise with that exchange from the Pace Picante commercials:
Guy 1: "This stuff's made in New York City!"
Guy 2: "Get a rope..."

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Man Overboard - Smersh In Action
via FoxyTunes

Harp

I'll Lock Up
John Boyer said:
...Therefore, the already mentioned Hemlock sound's like a reasonable choice...John

Greece's modern-day equivalent, Ouzo has nearly the same
philosophic consequence, but I'll take a Jack Walker instead. :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
DB, Sam on Burn Notice is my antihero-ideal-sidekick. Bruce Campbell and I have both broadened our horizons visibly. Pace Picante hot n' chunky goes very well with brewskis! :D

Diamondback said:
Carter, you sound like Sam on Burn Notice...:p considering that at east once or twice an episode he says "I need a beer" or "Who wants a beer?" or some other riff on the "out of hops'n'barley" theme.lol

Lizzie, see Rochester and raise with that exchange from the Pace Picante commercials:
Guy 1: "This stuff's made in New York City!"
Guy 2: "Get a rope..."

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Man Overboard - Smersh In Action
via FoxyTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member