Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elephant Skin questions

Gimli

New in Town
Have been Looking at the Pike Brothers deck jacket in Elephant Skin. The website doesn’t give much information on the material. Can anyone tell me about it? How it compares to the usual Jungle Cloth?
Thanks

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
I can't say how it compares to jungle cloth but I have a pair of roamer pants.

1679047497743.png

I'm not sure I would compare it to leather though.
It's not lightweight but quite soft and easy to wear, not rigid like heavy denim.

1679047657369.png

1679047687808.png

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I've got a vest in this fabric.
The main reason why I decided to buy it when I was visiting Berlin is because it felt so thick and durable.
Like it was actually made for working.
Quite stiff initially too.
I would compare it to 20oz+ heavyweight denim.
Especially in terms of it actually needing a break-in.
Shame the arm holes are a little bit too small.
Does anyone know if it is possible to widen/loosen armholes on a vest?
1679050599201.png

Mark

Practically Family
Have been Looking at the Pike Brothers deck jacket in Elephant Skin. The website doesn’t give much information on the material. Can anyone tell me about it? How it compares to the usual Jungle Cloth?
Thanks
I thought you were talking about real elephant skin! I thought no way..

Al 916

One Too Many
Glad this thread came up..(just noticed their website for the first time)

Pike Brothers - any good?

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Al 916
From what I've seen online and handled in person their production seems pretty fantastic, especially if you are into the whole early 20th century roleplaying thing. But it's a bit more Peaky-Blinders-esque or European/British/German workwear than the more popular American heritage stuff. Still very related.
Now whether it is good value for money? Hard to say. Pretty pricy.
I definitely plan on ordering from the again, very happy with my vest. Would really like to try their Henley if I can snatch something with discount.
If anyone knows any alternative brands for this kind of stuff in EU - please share.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Aloysius
If you say so. Just sharing the impression I got personally.

Perhaps that store focused on those things as a seasonal collection or to capitalize on some then popular shows.

The focus of the company itself though is US military repro, though they also make some civilian items.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From the horses mouth ‘about us’ on their website:

“Pike Brothers specialize in producing authentic men's ware of the 20th century. Authentic to us means in the same way and with the same high-quality approach as a decade ago”.

I‘ve been buying their stuff for years they cover anything from the 1900’s up until the 60’s.

Appears to be a split between workwear and military clothing with a focus on Americana.

In general I’ve found their products to be well designed, hard wearing and reasonably priced. All subjective I know.

The elephant skin vest should last several lifetimes and take a lot of abuse. It’s a bit stiff fabric wise & will need a little break in. Can wear mine happily anywhere with no concern for its well being. Teams up nicely with a decent shirt underneath.

If you want a bullet proof vest then their ‘waxed cotton vest’ takes a lot of beating. That stands up on its own and will require leather jacket level break in. Still fighting mine a couple of months in.

Recently I got into the Henley type shirts, one thick long sleeved (almost like a sweater) for Winter and a thinner short sleeved version for summer. I wear these a lot.

Get all my Chinos and denim from Pike & find them comfortable and durable. I wear them for work and play without regard for their safety.

Recent shirts purchases were a thick ‘Roamer’ check work shirt and Chambray for warmer weather.

Have heard their military jackets both cloth and leather are bomb proof. Don’t need any of these as an early obsession with Eastman Leather Clothing has me covered.

I would rate Pike as my favourite vendor for clothing, customer service is spot on and shipping is rapid. Prices IMHO are keen for this market. Nice little touches include small gifts (branded bottle openers etc) in with purchases and periodic ‘specials’ where an extra utility or clothing item is added.

Its worth looking in the ‘Odds and ends’ section of the site for sale items.

And no I’m not on commission but wish I was :)

Al 916

One Too Many
I am quite drawn to The Territory Ahead. I bought a pre-loved shirt of theirs and the style quality was pretty good. Anyone tried them?

Kennyz

Familiar Face
Has anyone from the USA ordered from Pike Brothers? I'm wondering about how there shipping is.

AirTransportCommand

Familiar Face
I'll echo the previous sentiments. I've found PB to be fantastic in all respects. Pricey, but you pay for excellent products. I have two denims and love them, some braces, multiple Henley shirts, and the 1942 Utah (basically the 2nd Pattern Tanker) jacket, and everything is wonderful. The tanker has some historical inaccuracies, but not so much that it screams of a bad Ralph Lauren attempt, etc. Thing I hate most is the zipper on the wrong (European) side, when its a copy of a US jacket. Collar is about an inch too tall, and the liner is too warm to be a real tanker, LOL. But their stuff is sized for tall modern people to be able to enjoy, and I really appreciate that. Will definitely order a lot more in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko