Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Californian review.

SJC

Suspended
So, a couple months ago i ordered an ELMC Californian.
Having a weird body shape i usually really struggle to fit off the rack clothes, but according to the HPA's measurements this jacket looked like it was perfectly sized for me.
I called ELMC, and after talking to Rob and confirming measurements i ordered a 42L jacket.
When it was delivered i was disappointed to find a few things wrong with it, it had snags and stains in the lining, and a couple dodgy stitches. Considering the price this jacket goes for i was less than pleased and sent it back.
Rob immediately offered me a remake, which arrived yesterday and is perfect!

As most of you know, ELMC doesn't customize sizing, they just offer regular and long sizes.
Since they have a 0.5" tolerance policy i asked Rob to make sure the sleeves and body length were long rather than short, and i have to say the fit is as good as it could be.
This is weird considering nothing ever fits me, and since this jacket fits me so well, it must really be hard for "regular" people to get a good fit.
This jacket is definitely aimed at people with an athletic build, very V shaped.

The Leather is thin but not flimsy, it has amazing grain and looks like it will develop a lot of character.
The Rayon lining is very silk like, it glides on and feels cool. With the lightweight leather and rayon lining this is a great jacket for the hotter months.
It feels a lot cooler than a FQHH jacket with a thick cotton lining, and i could easily wear it if the temp was in the 20s C (70F) without dying like i do in my other leather jackets.
The stitching on this one is perfect, probably as good as i have seen on a leather jacket.
It is almost on par with Lewis Leathers, and IMO cleaner than Aero and Alexander which to me have always been good, but not great.

Customer service wise, i have only good things to say about ELMC, Rob is a pleasure to deal with, always ready to answer questions and a really nice guy.
Yes, they did let a jacket out that IMO should have been flagged by QC, but they did everything they could to correct the issue.
All companies make mistakes, it's how they deal with them that is important to me.

One thing i must add, is that i really love the collar! I love how it is in a straight line with the zipper and ends up pointing straight out rather than down.
It is pretty unusual compared to what is available on the market, and it really gives a special look to this jacket.

Now, pictures:

L1000999_zpsd2g12v9s.jpg

L1001005_zpstx4hvslv.jpg

L1001003_zpsbbsifvzp.jpg

L1001002_zpscgowg1ax.jpg

L1001007_zpsatzaznmh.jpg

L1001009_zpsxqelklz5.jpg

And fit pics, considering this isn't a custom jacket i have nothing bad to say about the fit.

L1001011_zps7cnag3id.jpg

L1001012_zpspg5gb10m.jpg

L1001014_zpsbfrqrgj8.jpg

L1001013_zpsor6vmzyo.jpg

All in all this is a great jacket that i would not hesitate to recommend, yes it is expensive, but it is a great jacket, great hide, great design, and i feel that it was worth it.
Thank you soo much for your review! I am happy the interior is silk-like. Wool makes me sweat profusely.

SJC

Suspended
So, a couple months ago i ordered an ELMC Californian.
Having a weird body shape i usually really struggle to fit off the rack clothes, but according to the HPA's measurements this jacket looked like it was perfectly sized for me.
I called ELMC, and after talking to Rob and confirming measurements i ordered a 42L jacket.
When it was delivered i was disappointed to find a few things wrong with it, it had snags and stains in the lining, and a couple dodgy stitches. Considering the price this jacket goes for i was less than pleased and sent it back.
Rob immediately offered me a remake, which arrived yesterday and is perfect!

As most of you know, ELMC doesn't customize sizing, they just offer regular and long sizes.
Since they have a 0.5" tolerance policy i asked Rob to make sure the sleeves and body length were long rather than short, and i have to say the fit is as good as it could be.
This is weird considering nothing ever fits me, and since this jacket fits me so well, it must really be hard for "regular" people to get a good fit.
This jacket is definitely aimed at people with an athletic build, very V shaped.

The Leather is thin but not flimsy, it has amazing grain and looks like it will develop a lot of character.
The Rayon lining is very silk like, it glides on and feels cool. With the lightweight leather and rayon lining this is a great jacket for the hotter months.
It feels a lot cooler than a FQHH jacket with a thick cotton lining, and i could easily wear it if the temp was in the 20s C (70F) without dying like i do in my other leather jackets.
The stitching on this one is perfect, probably as good as i have seen on a leather jacket.
It is almost on par with Lewis Leathers, and IMO cleaner than Aero and Alexander which to me have always been good, but not great.

Customer service wise, i have only good things to say about ELMC, Rob is a pleasure to deal with, always ready to answer questions and a really nice guy.
Yes, they did let a jacket out that IMO should have been flagged by QC, but they did everything they could to correct the issue.
All companies make mistakes, it's how they deal with them that is important to me.

One thing i must add, is that i really love the collar! I love how it is in a straight line with the zipper and ends up pointing straight out rather than down.
It is pretty unusual compared to what is available on the market, and it really gives a special look to this jacket.

Now, pictures:

L1000999_zpsd2g12v9s.jpg

L1001005_zpstx4hvslv.jpg

L1001003_zpsbbsifvzp.jpg

L1001002_zpscgowg1ax.jpg

L1001007_zpsatzaznmh.jpg

L1001009_zpsxqelklz5.jpg

And fit pics, considering this isn't a custom jacket i have nothing bad to say about the fit.

L1001011_zps7cnag3id.jpg

L1001012_zpspg5gb10m.jpg

L1001014_zpsbfrqrgj8.jpg

L1001013_zpsor6vmzyo.jpg

All in all this is a great jacket that i would not hesitate to recommend, yes it is expensive, but it is a great jacket, great hide, great design, and i feel that it was worth it.

SJC

Suspended
Your review was extremely helpful. Thank you very much. Question. The button cuffs. Are they annoying if left unbuttoned in case you wanted to vent air? I've always been in love with zipper cuffs.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Your review was extremely helpful. Thank you very much. Question. The button cuffs. Are they annoying if left unbuttoned in case you wanted to vent air? I've always been in love with zipper cuffs.

In my opinion this kind of button cuff is mostly decorative.

Honestly i have never opened them, but i imagine they would be annoying if left open.

HPA Rep

Vendor
In my opinion this kind of button cuff is mostly decorative.

Honestly i have never opened them, but i imagine they would be annoying if left open.

I agree that the cuff buttons are something I've never touched and they seem to be more decorative, though they do function and I played with the two positions upon our initial receipt of these jackets so as to get a feel for what they do and how they look, and the same applies for the waist belts on the sides. If left unbuttoned, I think the cuff is sizable enough by measure and design that it could be annoying and also get in the way of activities, though this is a matter of personal choice and opinion.

SJC

Suspended
I agree that the cuff buttons are something I've never touched and they seem to be more decorative, though they do function and I played with the two positions upon our initial receipt of these jackets so as to get a feel for what they do and how they look, and the same applies for the waist belts on the sides. If left unbuttoned, I think the cuff is sizable enough by measure and design that it could be annoying and also get in the way of activities, though this is a matter of personal choice and opinion.
Thank you so much. Which one do you love more. The walnut or Havana?

SJC

Suspended
I am actually more in love with the ELMC Roaster 1950's motorcycle in Walnut and black 2.5 oz premium Italian horsehide.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Thank you so much. Which one do you love more. The walnut or Havana?
You are most welcome. I received the black example first, then Havana, and I really like them both, but I find the Havana is just that little bit more special and unique. It's also our top-selling color of the three colors available.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I checked this jacket out at the pop up shop.
How do you find the arm holes? I found them quite small and tight compared to Aero's Highwayman, though I was wearing a sweat shirt with a T underneath but had to go up to a 46 rather than my normal 42, and the sleeve length was perfect:confused:
Certainly not a bike jacket, but a nice casual jacket.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I checked this jacket out at the pop up shop.
How do you find the arm holes? I found them quite small and tight compared to Aero's Highwayman, though I was wearing a sweat shirt with a T underneath but had to go up to a 46 rather than my normal 42, and the sleeve length was perfect:confused:
Certainly not a bike jacket, but a nice casual jacket.

Well, I can't compare to an Aero Highwayman having never tried one on, but the armholes are fine enough for me in my size 40's, which correspond to my actual chest size. Please note that I've not worn mine with a sweatshirt, though I don't anticipate a problem since the only sweatshirts I wear are Buzz Rickson's and these have fitted, vintage-style sleeves and high armholes, providing a wonderful hugging-type fit that has no real sloppiness in the arm/armhole area and are perfect for wearing under trim-fitting jackets; I can even wear one under the ELC RW B-6 in size 40R, which is a very trim-fitting jacket.

We do see, as I've previously noted, those who wear size 42 and larger having a disproportionate need to go up one size in this style, but never two sizes as you noted. Those who have chest measures 36" - 40" seem fully unaffected if they want a trim fit and order, to the best of my recollection, the jackets in a size equal to their chest measure. I can't sway I know why this is, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot