Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Creeping Past, Dec 12, 2008.

1. trapp

trapp Practically Family

Thanks for the tips LR and Regius.

Yes, I think Wescos are going to be my next try. I'd love to find that the MP toe worked with my feet, but I think the bump would be more promising from a comfort standpoint.

Chadwick likes this.
  2. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Fwiw wesco currently has 3 pair of 7400 black tie size 9 on their overstock page. $400

3. trapp

trapp Practically Family

Nice! I like what I've seen of the 7400 once it breaks in. I would need a 10E, or possibly 10.5D.

I'm toying with the idea of customizing something without a stacked heel. I like the Phigvels and Motor boots I've seen (and a few custom Wescos) that ditch the traditional stacked heel if favor of a low sole.

4. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

Motor Dress engineer compared to Mister Freedom Road Champ
    image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

5. trapp

trapp Practically Family

Nice comparison. How did you do that with your legs?

BobHufford likes this.
  6. bluesmandan

bluesmandan One of the Regulars

Will some of you comment on the waterproofing or lack thereof on some of the makes?

I assume for instance that the White’s are leaky but could be wrong... don’t know about Wesco, Wolverines, Chippewa, Frye, or the more expensive boutique (pronounced Boot-EEK! cuz you say EEK! when you see the price) makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

LOL. We were sitting in the balcony having a cigar. I took out my phone and my fd just posed.

8. Bigbenbs

Bigbenbs A-List Customer

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a pair of White's nomad engineers to complement my jackets. I tried a pair of John Lofgren's and didn't really like the fit or look. A bit too dainty and inconsequential feeling, disconcertingly light in fact, and the toe was rounded in a way that somehow seemed too abstract. I know that's weird to say, but it felt less like a engineer boot toe and more like a kind of perfect renaissance arch at the tip of my foot.

Anyway, I've got a sizing pair of Nomad's coming my way but would plan to do a custom job if I decide to go forward.

The main question I'm asking is whether to do brown or natty cxl leather. I've got a pair of natty cxl Bounty Hunters that I like a lot and a pair of brown/burgendy cxl Alen Indy's that I love too, so I know I would be happy with both. I'm just wondering what leather is better suited for a versatile engineer boot, and this will be my only engineer boot for the foreseeable future.

Another question I'm asking about is heel design. I'm thinking of going with a semi dress heel, but that's not based on too much, except that the packer ranger heel has too much of a bulb shape and the traveller heel is too boxy for me.

One other interesting point is that there is a $50 upcharge for brown cxl and none for natty

9. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

Here is a question for the boot thread.

Anyone know if Lone Wolf boots fit true to size or do I need to size a 1/2 size smaller.

Anything I read about fit is all over the place form true to size fit to size a size down like a Red Wing Heritage.

I posted this in outerwear but figured I may get more info here.

10. regius

regius One Too Many

Colin, then you’d love the Viberg Workboot 2005 last Engineer, I think it’s called the ‘93

11. Shin

Shin Familiar Face

What kind of pants go well with engineer boots that aren't jeans? Thinking about getting meself a pair of engineer boots for this winter, but don't wanna wear jeans in freezing temps. Any recommendations for an alternative to jeans?

12. deaner33

deaner33 New in Town

Chinos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Based on photos you’ve posted i think you’d lime these
    https://www.ironheart.co.uk/bottoms/ih-824-blk.html
    They are technically denim but don’t look like typical denim. When it’s cold out i find 21oz or 25 oz denim from iron heart (although there are more budget friendly options like unbranded) make a huge contribution to overall warmth. They are pretty much all I will wear for the next 3 months.

andy b. likes this.
  14. bluesmandan

Anyone ever heard of Isubella boots? Stumbled onto them yesterday. Very inexpensive but good looking boots. I wonder what kind of quality they could be at $80.

https://www.isubella.com/products/ctmx40603

15. Shin

Shin Familiar Face

Thanks for the recommendation. I might order a 21oz from Unbranded. What about wool though. Do they go well with engineer boots?

16. Shin

Shin Familiar Face

Anyone has experience with Durango and Sendra boots? They seem to be targeting the lower price point, are they worth it?

17. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

I don’t own any woold pants to compliment engineer boots. Search posts by A-1 he frequently does and absolutely kills it.

18. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

bluesmandan likes this.
  19. Blackadder

Blackadder One Too Many

There are other options like
    Jungle cloth/grosgrain
    Sugar Cane, Mr Freedom, Freewheelers
    Canvas
    Carhartt, Ciano Farmer and Iron Heart etc.
    These heavy cotton pants also look good
    http://store.w-river.com/shopdetail/000000003200/ct132/page5/recommend/
    http://store.w-river.com/shopdetail/000000003202/ct132/page5/recommend/
    Kojima Genes also makes lots of heavy jeans
    http://eshop.kojima-genes.com/shopbrand/002/002/X/#.XAxG4FUza72

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  20. bluesmandan

Finally sprang for some Chippewas. The 11” Pierce with contrast welt. Figured I should give them a try first before the White’s, since they are half the price...

Bfd70 likes this.