Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

nightandthecity

Practically Family
anyone here seen these in the flesh - or own them? Lewis leathers recreation of a late 50s British take on the US Engineer boot - it would seem to have reverted to the original British riding boot cut.

https://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=Atlantic209

Post war several companies (notably Hawkins and Lewis) produced what were basically "shortie" versions of the RAF 1936 pattern but with a seam up the front of the shaft. This is what these seem to be but with straps added to give an American look and appeal to the Rock n Roll generation.

A little bird tells me that the current repros are made for Lewis by that great Rushden company Sanders & Sanders. Little birds aren't always right of course.

Last edited:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
.....I've had my eye on those Atlantic boots for a while. I even sold these gems to put towards them - original late 50s/early 60s LL fur lined shortie engineers. Unfortunately didn't get as much as I hoped for them :( DSCN0654 - Copy.JPG

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I need a pair of engineer boots in my life. Role Club? Lofgren? Julian?
Depends on when you need them in your life. I heard from Brian that the list is open for a batch to be made begining in May with delivery 8-12 weeks out from then. Do you need them in your life this weekend?

Edward

Bartender
anyone here seen these in the flesh - or own them? Lewis leathers recreation of a late 50s British take on the US Engineer boot - it would seem to have reverted to the original British riding boot cut.

https://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=Atlantic209

Post war several companies (notably Hawkins and Lewis) produced what were basically "shortie" versions of the RAF 1936 pattern but with a seam up the front of the shaft. This is what these seem to be but with straps added to give an American look and appeal to the Rock n Roll generation.

A little bird tells me that the current repros are made for Lewis by that great Rushden company Sanders & Sanders. Little birds aren't always right of course.

Those look nice, though personally I'm more tempted by their A10 Mechanic's Boots - basically the LL take on a conventional Engineer boot - https://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=MechB-A10 I do like the look of those, though I don't know: the Brand Ta seems pretty heavy on them given the high quality engineers that can be had for much less elsewhere; in that sense, I'm more tempted by the Westways.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Those look nice, though personally I'm more tempted by their A10 Mechanic's Boots - basically the LL take on a conventional Engineer boot - https://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=MechB-A10 I do like the look of those, though I don't know: the Brand Ta seems pretty heavy on them given the high quality engineers that can be had for much less elsewhere; in that sense, I'm more tempted by the Westways.

There's a big brand mark up on all Lewis Leathers stuff I think, but then they have central London rents to pay and are dealing in relatively small production runs of detailed historical reproductions rather than simply making biker gear. Re-popping fittings, labels etc. isn't cheap......and a company like Sanders is going to charge a lot to produce a small quantity of boots involving patterns and materials outside their normal product. If these were simply a standard Sanders boot and a staple in their catalogue I'd expect them to be in the £250-350 range so I guess the extra is the price of all the other stuff. Even so, I'm very struck by the £100 price differential between the Atlantic and the Mechanic!

Got to say I really, really like the Atlantics though. I went through a serious Engineer boot phase when I was young and trying to look like a mean 1950s hoodlum, and I've had dozens through my hands over the years, but ultimately I find most of them a bit.....well, clunky. I also soon realized I much preferred British to American sartorial style ( no offence cousins) which is why the only pair I ever kept for very long were the fur-lined Lewis pair in the photo, cut more like an RAF 36 pattern boot. And now they're gone! And it seems I'm teetering on the edge of spending money I don't have (yet again!)

I mean, I really want them but every time i go on the website I start thinking about all the other things i could do with £450......

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
My new Wesco 7400 engineer boots in brown domain leather arrived today.
img_3115-jpg.96501
img_3116-jpg.96502

These boots turned out beautifully and they were definitely worth the 3 month wait. The 7400 model has a higher arch than the standard Wesco Boss and it fits my foot perfectly. Big thanks to Wesco and Baker's Boots for another great pair of boots.

Does the Wesco 7400's have a soft toe?

Edward

Bartender
There's a big brand mark up on all Lewis Leathers stuff I think, but then they have central London rents to pay and are dealing in relatively small production runs of detailed historical reproductions rather than simply making biker gear. Re-popping fittings, labels etc. isn't cheap......and a company like Sanders is going to charge a lot to produce a small quantity of boots involving patterns and materials outside their normal product. If these were simply a standard Sanders boot and a staple in their catalogue I'd expect them to be in the £250-350 range so I guess the extra is the price of all the other stuff. Even so, I'm very struck by the £100 price differential between the Atlantic and the Mechanic!

Got to say I really, really like the Atlantics though. I went through a serious Engineer boot phase when I was young and trying to look like a mean 1950s hoodlum, and I've had dozens through my hands over the years, but ultimately I find most of them a bit.....well, clunky. I also soon realized I much preferred British to American sartorial style ( no offence cousins) which is why the only pair I ever kept for very long were the fur-lined Lewis pair in the photo, cut more like an RAF 36 pattern boot. And now they're gone! And it seems I'm teetering on the edge of spending money I don't have (yet again!)

I mean, I really want them but every time i go on the website I start thinking about all the other things i could do with £450......

All fair points, though I agree even at that they are more expensive than one might expect. I have always suspected that it is in part because the LL stuff is so distinctive, and in part because it's so distinctively British. If you want a look that screams Brit Rocker 1959-65 rather than American Biker Hoodlum C. 1945-59, for a long time only Lewis were really out there doing it. More competition now with GoldTop and Mascot revived, but Lewis was such a big name back then and was such a visible part of that scene (as well as, of course, the later punk rock scene), aspired to even by many who owned the cheaper, competitor products, that I think they have an edge in the way that for the American look there wasn't one, single brand that so dominated.

I'm really very keen on the Westways, but like you I keep seeing the price and thinking that I could practically have a fair chunk of a new Aero jacket for that. There's not anyone else really doing the boots, though (so not any real competition). The Mechanic boots are lovely, but given there are many more affordable alternatives out there.... Gasolina in the US are doing beautiful, LL-style boots with just enough of their own twist not to feel like cheap copies. Decent price on the face of it, but by the time you add in the import tax and shipping.... probably not much difference. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and sell a few things, including the pair of taller Aviakit boots I bought (well)used years ago, but don't tend to wear as they're too tall to wear comfortably under my jeans, and I don't wear jeans skinny enough to fit under them... (guess a chunk of my own style is much more Americanised in that regard).

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
The richness of the color in person is insane. My experience is solidly rookie but i have never seen anything like it.
Hats off to el marro. His pictures of the brown domain are what got me geeked out in the first place.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Marro,

Those are beautiful. How are they size wise? I typically wear a 12 cowboy boot. What can you compare them to?
Compares similarly to redwing heritage line or Wolverine 1000 mile. 1 to 1.5 size doen from athletic shoes. Ironheart means it when they say 4 work day shipping. Of course it's a holiday weekend so might take a minute. Their service is excellent. Some worthwile info on their forums as well.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Just saw it was addressed to El marro. He certainly would have better insight than me. He gave me info to my delight and my credit cards chagrin (figured while i was on the site i'd better buy some 21 oz denim as well).

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marro,

Those are beautiful. How are they size wise? I typically wear a 12 cowboy boot. What can you compare them to?
redline,
I find they run a little narrow (because of the motor patrol toe) compared to my Red Wings or the standard toe Wesco Boss. I wear 10.5 D in Red Wings and most other boots but I am a 10.5 E in the 7400's. If you wear cowboy boots regularly I think you will like the feel of this boot.

Bfd70,
Feel free to jump in anytime man! Now you have your own pair so you are well qualified to speak your piece as far as fit goes. How is your pair breaking in?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
They’re coming along nicely, but still have me nervous. This is a new price point for me as far as footwear goes. Question. With the instep strap, which hole do you personally use? I’m one short of the tightest and my CDO is upset that it’s not the middle hole. That makes me worried they are too loose in the instep. I then try and remind myself that they are not lace ups (all i’ve experience with) and that they will naturally be looser there.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They’re coming along nicely, but still have me nervous. This is a new price point for me as far as footwear goes. Question. With the instep strap, which hole do you personally use? I’m one short of the tightest and my CDO is upset that it’s not the middle hole. That makes me worried they are too loose in the instep. I then try and remind myself that they are not lace ups (all i’ve experience with) and that they will naturally be looser there.
I have my instep strap in the middle hole because that is how it arrived and I feel it is snug enough there. As you noted, slip on boots will always have more wiggle room inside otherwise you could never get them on or off. As long as your foot feels good when wearing them and after you take them off then as think you are in good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk