Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Dav

One Too Many
Speaking of brown domain, not quite the 7400 but close.
DSC_0810 (Medium).JPG
DSC_0811 (Medium).JPG
DSC_0815 (Medium).JPG
DSC_0816 (Medium).JPG

jdiddy

A-List Customer
860B9123-DFF3-43B4-ADFD-3AB923B998F7.jpeg
They’re coming along nicely, but still have me nervous. This is a new price point for me as far as footwear goes. Question. With the instep strap, which hole do you personally use? I’m one short of the tightest and my CDO is upset that it’s not the middle hole. That makes me worried they are too loose in the instep. I then try and remind myself that they are not lace ups (all i’ve experience with) and that they will naturally be looser there.

Was scrolling thru thread and saw this, I pray you don’t mind my two cents. I have a sickness , and that sickness is boots and engineer boots in general. Lol
That instep strap should be pulled snug and the truth of the matter on most is that you’ll probably end up closer to the inside hole more so than the middle. A lot of times the ‘ look ‘ is to have a longer strap to mimmic the era. I have never ended up in the ‘middle ‘ on any of mine. So IMO don’t think that your boots is wrong for you needing to go tighter. In fact all of mine have a ‘longer ‘ strap and on my custom , I have order the maximum of 3 inch longer and even then i guarantee i will not be in the middle hole of the strap. Again just my two cents. The pic depict the strap , I don’t have them pulled to wear I wear them but I figured you would get the point on lengths.

jdiddy

A-List Customer
I also might add that on the MF roadchamps i actually had to add a hole to pull tighter. I believe it is because of how it is designed with the buckle placement higher up. Again it’s just my opinion.

jdiddy

A-List Customer
I have my instep strap in the middle hole because that is how it arrived and I feel it is snug enough there. As you noted, slip on boots will always have more wiggle room inside otherwise you could never get them on or off. As long as your foot feels good when wearing them and after you take them off then as think you are in good shape.

wanted to add that these are not really ‘slip on boots’ while they do slip on the instep strap plays a huge role in how they will feel. You always in my opinion want to unbuckle to put on and off and then when on strap them down snug. The heel slippage will go away and you will not experience the ‘loose boot’ feel if you do.
They typically show up in box already buckled but by no means is that where the buckle should stay .. the volume of the foot on each individual is different hence the hole option on both instep and shaft strap. Not the same as lace up but you do have a small bit of customization for your foot. I normally do not mess with upper after first setting up but always undo instep when taking off and putting on. You will find the fit will be 100% better.

Dav

One Too Many
I always start by tightening the strap up one notch and undoing to remove, often after a while I find that I don't need to undo anymore they just slip on and off perfectly.

jdiddy

A-List Customer
I always start by tightening the strap up one notch and undoing to remove, often after a while I find that I don't need to undo anymore they just slip on and off perfectly.

, this is where everyone I guess is different , I just know if I left mine strapped , I would never be able to put them on. Especially the lofgrens.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
This is good info, thanks.
Also notcing a bit of difference between breaking in Chippewa and Wesco. Chippewa are softer and weight 1/2 as much. Seemed to break in quickly. Wesco are taking more effort.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wanted to add that these are not really ‘slip on boots’ while they do slip on the instep strap plays a huge role in how they will feel. You always in my opinion want to unbuckle to put on and off and then when on strap them down snug. The heel slippage will go away and you will not experience the ‘loose boot’ feel if you do.
They typically show up in box already buckled but by no means is that where the buckle should stay .. the volume of the foot on each individual is different hence the hole option on both instep and shaft strap. Not the same as lace up but you do have a small bit of customization for your foot. I normally do not mess with upper after first setting up but always undo instep when taking off and putting on. You will find the fit will be 100% better.
My boots fit just fine, thank you very much.

jdiddy

A-List Customer
Zip Stevenson was the man behind the Santa Rosa brand and hollywood trading company but i believe the shop may be closed now. I had gotten a hold of him last year through Facebook or IG . I can’t remember. I think he said he was just doing direct sales with boots now if I remember right. I would try looking him up on Facebook and going that direction if your interested. His denim brand is Stevenson overall company. You could maybe try that. Hope that maybe helps

jdiddy

A-List Customer
My boots fit just fine, thank you very much.

El Marro
And Dav
I absolutely meant no disrespect in commenting on your post. I was just addressing the typical question I get with engineer fit as compared to cowboy boot slip on. Like I stated , everyone’s feet and fit and desired fit will be different. Shit, we pay for our boots .... we can wear them how we want!!!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana