Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of mine.
Viberg, Red Wing, Attractions, Buco, Buco, Moto

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3,795

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ve arrived at an entirely unprofound realization about engineer boots. I’m new to the game with 1 year in. I have worn 3 different models. Before buying my 1st pair I scoured all 100+ pages of info here and more elsewhere. I mentally evaluated construction methods, materials, and price points. Despite this effort i somehow managed to not pay enough attention to sizing characteristics which is likely the most important aspect as they effects fit. I guess i just realized that boots are like denim. While one might argue why Iron heart denim is superior to Rogue territory and the denim from Samurai may be argued to be better still, it is irrelevant if you don’t know if you prefer slim or skinny, tapered or straight, high rise or low. It is really the cut that is important because you need to find one that fits and flatters you. The epiphany came upon breaking in my new redwings. While nice boots, the finish of the build and the leather is no where near as nice as my Wesco. However the RW fit ME so much better. They are tight in the instep with a LARGE toe box. The Wesco are roomy in the instep and narrow in the toe. I had to have a cobbler add instep pads to make them wearable. All part of the journey I suppose. Glad i’m now armed with some 1st hand knowledge. I only wish boots had multiple numerical measurements i could use when evaluating purchases. With pants i have 6 numbers and know exactly what my tolerances are within a 1/4” and which brands and models meet these.

regius

I’ve arrived at an entirely unprofound realization about engineer boots. I’m new to the game with 1 year in. I have worn 3 different models. Before buying my 1st pair I scoured all 100+ pages of info here and more elsewhere. I mentally evaluated construction methods, materials, and price points. Despite this effort i somehow managed to not pay enough attention to sizing characteristics which is likely the most important aspect as they effects fit. I guess i just realized that boots are like denim. While one might argue why Iron heart denim is superior to Rogue territory and the denim from Samurai may be argued to be better still, it is irrelevant if you don’t know if you prefer slim or skinny, tapered or straight, high rise or low. It is really the cut that is important because you need to find one that fits and flatters you. The epiphany came upon breaking in my new redwings. While nice boots, the finish of the build and the leather is no where near as nice as my Wesco. However the RW fit ME so much better. They are tight in the instep with a LARGE toe box. The Wesco are roomy in the instep and narrow in the toe. I had to have a cobbler add instep pads to make them wearable. All part of the journey I suppose. Glad i’m now armed with some 1st hand knowledge. I only wish boots had multiple numerical measurements i could use when evaluating purchases. With pants i have 6 numbers and know exactly what my tolerances are within a 1/4” and which brands and models meet these.

Try this route: get a pair of some used 90s or 80s Sears engineer, that are a bit larger than your regular size. Send them to Drew’s Boot (same as Bakers), have the guy James there to get your four dimensions of measurements (length, circumference of ball, circumference of instep/hell, ankle girth), and have him charge $250 to relast and rebuild it to your exact size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Try this route: get a pair of some used 90s or 80s Sears engineer, that are a bit larger than your regular size. Send them to Drew’s Boot (same as Bakers), have the guy James there to get your four dimensions of measurements (length, circumference of ball, circumference of instep/hell, ankle girth), and have him charge $250 to relast and rebuild it to your exact size.

This is actually a great idea. Build quality is there and the fit would be as well.

My custom measured Wesco engineer boots are the most comfortable footwear I own. They took some breaking in, but once completed, they are great. I've walked upward of five miles in them some days. Fit is King.

Can you ever have too many pairs of GOOD boots or shoes? :)

regius

I’m having a pair of very black, very 80s, very beefy Sears steel toe re-worked by Drew’s. They will use a cowboy/Wesco PT toe style last (their own last).

deaner33

New in Town
I’m having a pair of very black, very 80s, very beefy Sears steel toe re-worked by Drew’s. They will use a cowboy/Wesco PT toe style last (their own last).

Please post pics when you get them back. I have two pairs of engineers I need to get done and am trying to decide who to send them to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trapp

Practically Family
Are those White's above the standard Nomad in brn cxl? The look nice.

I'm curious what last White's made those on. My White's SD boots are my most comfortable shoes and would love to get a similar fit in an engineer boot.

regius

I'm curious what last White's made those on. My White's SD boots are my most comfortable shoes and would love to get a similar fit in an engineer boot.

They use a numbered/numerical last dedicated to the Nomad, it’s not a shared last.

regius

They are not exactly the standard Nomad. I ordered with no toe box, and close welt, single row of rapid stitch down around the shoe, I think nomad has two rows normally and so the edge of the sole stick out more. Let me tell y’all, the nomad unstructured toe is probably the only one that will quickly develop the little dimple/cleavage. The dimple is developed by your big toe popping upward, causing the toe to “collapse”.

trapp

Practically Family
Thanks. The boots look great and I think you spec'd it well.

Did you order the boots directly through White's, or Bakers? I'm holding out hope that the last they use for the Nomad may fit me better than other Engineer lasts, all of which have been problematic.

regius

I ordered through Bakers. Nice bunch of people. I found the Whites to be one of the most comfortable brands in all their lasts,and the Nomad to be one of the best, among Julian’s RRL, RW 2966/8? (Japan steel toe and S&S soft toe), and Viberg, Wesco slips at first but quickly got used to, Chippewa slips so bad I can’t walk in them, RoleClub is nice but it’s custom made. Freedom I found ok, the leather is too thick and toe is too flat that it hurt my big toe nail. Attractions too stiff and unbalanced, Craftrite too roomy in the instep. Lofgren too heavy and slips too much. Original Sears from the 80s are nice, the nicest “mall boots”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto