Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

coleslawyum

New in Town
Chippewa currently uses oil-tanned leather which has a very high oil content, meant to be more durable. They have another leather they use that is very shiny and takes a polish well, but only on their taller boots. Oil-tanned leather can be shined, but they have to be a bit dried out before you can put any wax on them. The black Chippewas I have are from the 60's and it's definitely different leather. I think they are also vegetable tanned, which have the brown sides showing through.

coleslawyum

New in Town
I've tried to wax oil tanned leather before and I managed to get more of a satin shine, than a super glossy.

wescocomp1.jpg

In comparison to a pair of chrome tanned boots which are really easy to shine, you can see a big difference.

wecorwcomp.jpg

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I have been on a bit of a spree lately - I finally ordered my first pair of Wesco Boss - with brown leather, nickel hardware, double leather midsoles, Vibram 705 half sole, and buff (unstained, natural) welts and heels. FYI, I ordered through BigBlackBoots (www.boot.com) which is a lot cheaper than orde3ring from the Wesco website.

I also just ordered a brown pair of Frye Rogan Engineers - they have rubber half soles and a lower heel.

I would still like to try a pair of the Frye Rand (Brando) engineers some day, but I am not sure I like the more pointy toe profile. I got a great deal on a pair of them around Christmas, but had to send them back because there was a huge blemish (the size of a coffee mug) on the top of the vamp on one of the boots.

I have been wearing cowboy and engineer boots for years, and I am really excited for the Wescos especially.

kyboots

Practically Family
Congrats! on the Wescos at least some of us like them. Send out some pictures in a couple of months when you get them. Look forward to seeing those Brown Engineers. Plan on ordering me some but want a less blunt western toe and can't decide which sole to get. Wearing the basic black engineers today.---John

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks John - I'll definitely get pics up when they arrive. They're expensive, but they seem to be worth it.

The toughest decision for me was actually toe style - I ended up going with the classic "bump toe" last. I think I'll try the new last if I get another pair (I'd love to try a pair in Redwood someday).

I will probably drive up and see the Wesco factory sometime in February, before the boots arrive. It will be nice to try a pair on and see the options in person. I live about an hour south of them, but it's hard for me to get there since their hours are 7:30am- 4pm Mo-Fri, and they are always closed on Saturday. I drove up on December 23rd, which happened to be the first day of their vacation..... then I cursed a lot and drove back home :)

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most of those online shops mentioned here do not ship international. Does anyone know any reputable online shop that does? They only sell women's Frye boots here in Hong Kong

Blackadder

What is it specifically that you want shipped international?
Frye boots for starter because as stated they only sell women's Frye here. Maybe Chippewa or Danner military boots. There are two dealers for White's and Westco in Hong Kong, so no need for those.

Blackadder

Oh most British online dealers do ship international. I bought my Church's from Herrings and a couple of Onitzuka Tiger sport shoes from Office.
I just have problem finding American goods.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner