Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Creeping Past, Dec 12, 2008.

1. deluxestyling

deluxestyling One of the Regulars

I've been a constant wearer of engineer/motorcycle boots for the last 20 years and owned most makes and also started out with Carolinas and Georgias. The best and my personal favourites are Red Wings. They take some breaking in though and even when the sole wears you can get a genuine factory heel and sole replacement.
    Last summer I met a friend of a friend who had on a pair of these "red" Red Wings and they looked great. I've been promising myself a pair ever since but now seeing those Bucos I guess they just moved one more spot down the list...
    http://threewood.jp/SHOP/RED-WING-8271-ENGINEER-BOOTS-RED-BROWN.html

2. The Captain

The Captain One of the Regulars

This picture of me - late '40s - is a combo of this thread and the jeans discussion in the previous thread. I know, I have posted this photo before, but can anyone out there tell me what brand of boots these are? I don't recall.

[​IMG]

mendelboaz and davyjones007 like this.
  3. Rider

Rider Familiar Face

May I recommend Red Wings?

I have always wanted to wear boots, but have been frustrated by the lack of width sizing for most major boot manufacturers. On a good day when I've been retaining water and am all bloated up, I am a "B" width. I fail to understand why boot manufactureres think feet only come in one width.

I like Red Wings for their array of width sizing. For the first time in my life, I have a pair of boots that actually fit. :eusa_clap

4. edmond

edmond Vendor

these is my pair of lonewolf engineers

with cats paw half soles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

worn..

[​IMG]

sweetfights and davyjones007 like this.
  5. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Those are beautiful boots. They have a lot of character.

6. Mr_Misanthropy

Mr_Misanthropy Practically Family

Those are NICE, Edmond.

7. edmond

edmond Vendor

thank you guys!

i have a pair of buco engineers too and hathorn open road engineers i love these lonewolfs out of the 3 i dont know why must be the way they look .. very vintage..?

8. ramblinBOB

ramblinBOB One of the Regulars

I WAS REAL BIG IN TOO THE 1950S JAMES DEAM LOOK A FEW YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A PAIR OF HARLEY DAVIDSON ENGINEER BOOTS I WORE THEM EVERY DAY FOR 3 YEAR AND THERE STILL WEARABLE I WOULD BUY HARLEY

9. bigshoe

bigshoe One of the Regulars

A pair I made for a friend to match the paint on his bike. Vamp and heel counter are shark and the top is buffalo and kid skin.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

10. Creeping Past

Creeping Past One Too Many

Edmond, are these special advance promos from Sugar Cane?

Great style. Loads of panache.

edmond likes this.
  11. bburtner@moran

bburtner@moran Banned

Engineer Boots

Bought a pair of Frye,too heavy,and not comfortable at all!Trashed them!

Dm101 likes this.
  12. DerMann

DerMann Practically Family

After reading through this thread a few times, I decided to get a pair of Chippewa 27899s (11" with the natural welt).

They might get here tomorrow, I can't wait :D

I was going to buy a pair of brown Corcoran jump boots, but I've already got a pair in black, so I think these might add a bit more flavour to my wardrobe.

*EDIT*

For those of you looking for American made boots, http://americanmadeworkboots.com/ , is PayPal and Google verified, carry a wide range of boots in nearly ever size and width, and have great customer support.

13. der schneider

der schneider One of the Regulars

I have a pair of WWI officers boots new reproduction.

much like the motor patrol boots but in brown

all leather construction instep laces, top side laces they are marked size 10 but fit like an eleven I wear a large 9 1/2 any one interested? I cant use them $250

14. brylcreem boy

brylcreem boy One of the Regulars

I have owned a pair of Frye engineer boots(USA made) for about a year now and I love them, at 1st thought they were a bit heavy, but once they broke in I love em-

15. DetroitFalcons

DetroitFalcons Familiar Face

I can say that Carolina makes a high quality engineer boot. Several years ago I did something stupid. I dragged my foot going around a gas station on my bike and hit a raised area of concrete with my toe. It sent my foot back into the rear peg, hard. If I had been wearing sneakers or a cheap boot, I can't imagine what would have happened. Instead, it just put a mild puncture into the boot above my ankle where it hit the peg and gave me a really nice bruise. I sold that pair on ebay (the soles were destroyed and were getting really worn out inside) to a guy that seemed to have a fetish for worn leather for what I paid new for them, and started wearing my second pair. They are holding up great. For what it's worth I have a bnib pair of Chippewas that I haven't felt the need to wear yet.

16. univibe88

univibe88 One Too Many

WOW! Those are some nice boots.

17. DerMann

DerMann Practically Family

I can safely say that I've had my Chippewa No. 27899s for a good week now.

They come with a 'natural' coloured welt (nice touch, really) and steel toes.

At first they were sort of rough on my feet (to be expected of new boots). After a day of wearing them, though, I was playing soccer in a muddy field with them. The leather is ridiculously comfortably and soft. My feet seem to stay pretty dry, that is water stays out and sweat is dealt with effectively.

The soles are thick but not grotesquely so (Doc Martens) and have good traction.

They're still a bit difficult to put on and take off, but they're getting better every day.

Going to put the first coat of Kiwi on them today.

On an off note, does anyone tuck their trouser cuffs into them when its snowy, rainy, or muddy? I felt sort of ridiculous for doing so, but it keeps my cuffs clean.

18. David Ward

David Ward Familiar Face

I'm taking it as a given that wearing motorcycle boots when you don't ride a motorcycle is a bit of a no-no.

19. cbrunt

cbrunt One of the Regulars

Frye "Brando" boots

Hey gang,

This thread is making ME want engineer boots now too...:eusa_doh:

Granted they're cliche, but has anyone seen or own the Frye Brandon boot, in "tobaco" leather style 87240 ? (scroll down to second pair)
    http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_engineer-031.php

I just love brown boots and leather stuff.

Clint

20. kools

kools Practically Family

I'm not sure what the rules are here, but I wear motorcycle boots on occassion, and I do not ride a motorcycle; or if you prefer, I wear engineer boots and I am not an engineer.

davyjones007 and wild_balls like this.