Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

illumin8em

A-List Customer
South said:
Are these boots still in style in the US? I've had a hard time trying to locate a pair of Red Wing 2990 black Engineer boots and thought they must not sell much. I think Chippewa also makes some.

Thanks for any feedback.

I have a pair of Frye Engineers forsale in the forum marketplace if you are interested

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:
If the sizing is like all other red-wings, they run a bit big, so you may want to size down half a size.. Yes, these redwings are awesome especially at that price.. i would have ordered them if I hadn't spent all my money on other cool stuff and I own engineerboots so, there's no real need.. I saw them in brown also, very cool.

Size 8 fit me perfect. Not tight, but snug.

I really feel uncertain about ordering them in 7.5
but I payed for a pair now and told him I wear UK 8 in all sneakers
so I hope he knows if I need 7.5 or 8.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Engineer boots are still popular with us engineers who need a steel-toe safety boot out in the field.

Harness boots are still popular with us motorcyclists, though I prefer tall lace-ups.

South

One of the Regulars
How do the Chippewa and Frye harness boots compare with each other in terms of quality. Are the Chippewas a much better made boot?

Thanks again.

Edward

Bartender
Maguire said:
Isn't this essentially a jackboot or am i missing something?

You mean the Wehrmacht-issue jackboots? There is a degree of similiarity in that they are tall-slip on boots, but that's about as far as it goes, really. I don't recall jackboots having the buckle-detail that really identifies an engineer boot, nor did they to my knowledge ever have the steel toe-cap that many (most?) Engineer boots carry.

When I financially recover from Christmas, I'd love to get a new pair of enginner boots. I've grown to dislike the commando soles on mine (maybe I should just wear m out, or have them replaced now with something flatter-profile?), and I'd welcome a pair of boots without the steel toe. Not so much the weight that is an issue for me, more that I'm not so keen on reinforced toes in leather footwear as the lack of any give when they hit something means the surface of the leather scratches and damages much more quickly. Not my ideal in a pair of expensive boots!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I think they can look cool when worn.

These are imo pretty badass:
engr21.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had a pair of engineer boots when I first started riding, but didnt like the way they fit, or their weight, so I bought a pair of harness boots and never looked back.

I currently have an old pair of Double H harness boots. Theyre quite worn but have no holes in them, so I still wear them. I must have them 10 years by now. They run a half a size larger, so although Im an 11, I take a 10.5 in them.

I especially like the Double H's because the harness straps each have a couple of grometed holes in them. Very cool.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
I used harness boots when I was younger. I started wearing boots when I was 15-16. Quite many boots ago...
Nowadays I use almost only engineer boots. My favourite pair is almost 6 years old Sendra Longhorn engineer boot. Durable and comfortable. They are worth of checking out.
I also have 17" Chippewas High Gloss with steel toe. As said they are quite stiff, but gets better all the time with use. They are approx 2 years old now. My 16" Carolina Poleclimbers get also quite much use, very comfortable boots as well.
I have also original german jackboots also, but they get use usually only when I do gardenwork or such, and last pair I use seldom is a pair of genuine mexican cowboy boots with high slanted heels and very pointy toe.

All my boots are used in daily basis, and are also chosen with riding a bike in mind.

Jack

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Martinis at 8 said:
Harness boots are still popular with us motorcyclists, though I prefer tall lace-ups.

Agreed, and the biggest problem for us motorcyclists (who aren't into sportbikes) is finding "real" motorcycling boots when it comes to the harness/engineering boot style. Most are just flimsy fashion boots, without any real protection. You don't want a flimsy fashion boot on your foot if youo're truly concerned with safety.

The only "real" motorcycling boot I've found so far is the Frey Daytona Urban. They are very expensive but they have the protection us motorcyclists need -- plastic armor in the heel and shin area. Problem is that I do not believe they are sold in the US any longer (Helimot is the exclusive US dealer for Frey Daytona).

South

One of the Regulars
How do the Chippewa and Red Wing engineer boots compare in quality? The Red Wings are $280 and the Chippewas are more than a $100 less.

I've read that Chippewa is currently having some QC issues, though.

Any experiences with both brands?

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
Agreed, and the biggest problem for us motorcyclists (who aren't into sportbikes) is finding "real" motorcycling boots when it comes to the harness/engineering boot style. Most are just flimsy fashion boots, without any real protection. You don't want a flimsy fashion boot on your foot if youo're truly concerned with safety.

The only "real" motorcycling boot I've found so far is the Frey Daytona Urban. They are very expensive but they have the protection us motorcyclists need -- plastic armor in the heel and shin area. Problem is that I do not believe they are sold in the US any longer (Helimot is the exclusive US dealer for Frey Daytona).

Yep, that's why I went with the lace-ups. I have seen slip-on type boots get dragged off of a man's feet. A real harness boot has a working harness. That Frey you show is a great boot.

piranha

New in Town
Wesco make s a very nice boot.

I've had my feet measured by two different people and want to get a pair of custom made Engineer boots from Wesco. I already have a pair of Wesco Engineer boots but sometimes the heel slippage is a just a tad annoying. From what I understand the foot pad breaks in around your foot and the two work together. I got mine last year and they're still breaking in. The reason for a pair of custom boots is because I prefer different soles and toe ends.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I payed for the boots from this link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Wing-2268...ng_Menswear_MensShoes_GL?hash=item4a9ae4a 65a

Money was drawn december the 2:nd from my account.

I asked him where they are.
He just told me to wait untill midweek, but it doesnt look like he has even checked to see if they are shipped yet. Snow is piling up everywhere and i need those boots.

Still nothing in sight. (14 days)

Just a note so no one thinks about making a last minute purchase before x-mas.
Maybe they come tomorrow [huh]

Creeping Past

One Too Many
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Money was drawn december the 2:nd from my account.

I asked him where they are.
He just told me to wait untill midweek, but it doesnt look like he has even checked to see if they are shipped yet. Snow is piling up everywhere and i need those boots.

It's not the postal service but this deadbeat seller that's the issue here. Open an Ebay claim, then open a PayPal claim. That'll focus their attention.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Do you know for a fact that he is not a good seller?

I dont want to start a "fight" before I know whats up.
It could be customs, sometimes they take some time.

He does have 99.5% positive feedback.
All in all:
438 positive
2 negaitive

Last month:
80 positive
1 negative

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I didnt mean to hang him out as really bad, I just wanted to give a heads up about the delivery time.

I told him today to give me confirmation of shipment, and if they werent shipped, he needs to ship them express to me.

So he could still get his act together.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I just received a pair of used Carolina Pole Climbers in great shape from an eBay seller for $40+$12 shipping. Less than 48 hours from close of bid to receipt of item. Couldn't be happier.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic:

I like to know that someone's on the case when they've got my money and haven't sent me an item. I think you've waited a long time without any sign even that the item's been posted.

People make mistakes. But they should also be right on it when you tell them -- and saying they'll look into it isn't good enough. Why not tell you when it was posted? Or if not why not and when it will be sent.

Maybe I'm picky... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR