Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Anyone have experience sizing the Viberg engineer? Wear a 10.5E or D in the Wesco boss and it looks like Viberg would be a 9.5?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Which Viberg last? The 2005 works the best for me, and I take their D width, same size as Wesco or RedWing

Blackadder

Was looking at the 2060 last at S&S, looks like its the 2030 last with more instep room.
Viberg is more UK size so you are quite correct to size down to 9.5 or 10. The 2030 last is narrower than the 2005 last but since you wear D or E, so it should be fine. IMO, the only issue is the heel slippage due to the higher instep for easy pull on. The strap is not very useful for tightening especially if the leather is thick.

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Viberg is more UK size so you are quite correct to size down to 9.5 or 10. The 2030 last is narrower than the 2005 last but since you wear D or E, so it should be fine. IMO, the only issue is the heel slippage due to the higher instep for easy pull on. The strap is not very useful for tightening especially if the leather is thick.
Awesome, appreciate the input.

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Are you looking at the waxed flesh? Those look awesome.
Yeah, I'll be in the SF area in a few weeks though so I might see if I can make it out there to try them on. The waxed flesh looks fantastic, and I've always like the shorter shaft on the Vibergs.

Blackadder

Awesome, appreciate the input.
Welcome. One more thing though. Viberg does not have the arch support like White's and the leather upper they use is usually softer than Wesco, so it is both comfortable (in that it is not as constrictive as the two Ws) and uncomfortable (that it does not have the rigid support that your feet may move around).
Conversely it is their short shaft that has kept me away. Don’t want to monkey with adjusting my pants everytime i stand up.
It is only slightly shorter. No need to adjust your pants. Not short like the Chippewa or Red Wing short shaft.

regius

Since there hasn't been much chatter about RoleClub, I'd like to make a comment today.
It's not exactly about the RoleClub boots but rather, a relast job by Brian on my Wesco.
First off, always loved how they turn out, the most polished and serious work, lots of pride, consistent.
The comment is only applicable to this very pair of Wesco, it started as a Wesco custom order, Horween HH, western toe, E width. Wesco made a mistake on the sole but would take too long to re-work, so I sent to Brian.

Today, I inserted a pair of Wesco leather insole (about 3mm thick), and immediately felt the heel-slip due to the fact that now my heel is not situated low/deep enough down the heel cup. So I removed the inserts, a bit better, but still, the heel cup is still not hugging my heel.

"Heel cup depth" is not a problem for Wesco and not a problem for RoleClub (not that I remember), so I wonder maybe the re-work made it shallower...

Edward

Bartender
Welcome. One more thing though. Viberg does not have the arch support like White's and the leather upper they use is usually softer than Wesco, so it is both comfortable (in that it is not as constrictive as the two Ws) and uncomfortable (that it does not have the rigid support that your feet may move around).

It is only slightly shorter. No need to adjust your pants. Not short like the Chippewa or Red Wing short shaft.

What height are they? I'm currently wearing in a pair of Chippewa short-shafters in Oxblood - 7" I believe (I've not actually measured them myself). I can't say that I've had any problem with them sticking on my jeans. Wrangler Cowboy cut in the original 1947 pattern; it might be different if I were into the fashionable skinny-fit some folks like, but the answer there is obvious - stick 'em down yer boots, like the Rocker crowd.

regius

Wesco RoleClub

Attachments

• 8840962B-8590-4FC6-AB15-674E015B4DCE.jpeg
    8840962B-8590-4FC6-AB15-674E015B4DCE.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 492

regius

I'm wearing 7400s right now and the midsole at the heel is even with the back of the heelcup, it seems like yours have the heelcup past the heel midsole. Were they like that before the relast?
Good attention to detail actually, maybe it's the cam angle, the leather heel cup on these flush with the back of the heel, and a real RoleClub also has them flush. I have not seen anyone that has the cup protruding out, although protruding heel is a very common design (doggerd heel??)

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Good attention to detail actually, maybe it's the cam angle, the leather heel cup on these flush with the back of the heel, and a real RoleClub also has them flush. I have not seen anyone that has the cup protruding out, although protruding heel is a very common design (doggerd heel??)
Huh, funny angle. Different soles might account for the heel slip too, I have a pair of Role Club LTT and the soles are decently stiff. Could be once the sole breaks in the heel slips is mitigated.

Blackadder

What height are they? I'm currently wearing in a pair of Chippewa short-shafters in Oxblood - 7" I believe (I've not actually measured them myself). I can't say that I've had any problem with them sticking on my jeans. Wrangler Cowboy cut in the original 1947 pattern; it might be different if I were into the fashionable skinny-fit some folks like, but the answer there is obvious - stick 'em down yer boots, like the Rocker crowd.
8 inches according to Viberg's site.

regius

Side view. One thing about the RoleClub is the heel is smaller than Whites and Wesco, not short but small (longitudinal dimension).

Attachments

• 4AD7FDCA-BABE-42DE-AA0E-FF31D5F1DDFD.jpeg
    4AD7FDCA-BABE-42DE-AA0E-FF31D5F1DDFD.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 544

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21