Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
If anyone is interested I have a pair of size 11EE 7" Chippewa Steel Toed Engineer Boots for sale. I bought them a while ago but I only wore them a couple times. I realized that this type of boot isn't really for me. Unfortunately I learned this lesson after spending almost $300. I added an extra hole in the top buckle but otherwise they are basically new. Im asking $150 for them. If you are interested please send me an email to jess@jessbaumung.com. Im located in Toronto and can meet up locally as well.

3F13M13H85Ga5V25K8cbd2d61f3055cc81e62.jpg

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Kentucky - It takes a little explaining, since there are a few factors. I have several thicknesses of socks, which can play a part in the fit as well. I have mid-weight Smart Wool socks and thicker socks from Keen. (I just re-read this, and it sounds a little silly, but White's will tell you to wear the thickest socks you intend to use when they take your measurements)

In my original brown Nomads, I needed to remove the foam insole (0.125"-0.150" thick) and I cannot wear the thicker socks without the boots feeling tight. The new Distressed Nomads fit best with the foam insoles in and while wearing the thicker Keen socks. I also noticed that when I line the heels up and check the length, the toe on the new Distressed boots seems to be about 1/4" longer. This is hard to measure accurately, but I am pretty sure I am correct. The boots appear to be roomier in width as well as a bit longer. This leads me to believe that they might have been made on a slightly larger last.

I could have lived with them, but I broke down and took White's up on their offer to check the boots out. I am only 7 hours south of Spokane, so I shipped the boots off yesterday, and they arrived at White's today (by UPS ground, no less). I am more curious than anything - I have been very polite, and they have been very fair with me. For what they cost, I figure it's worth checking them out and seeing if they are in fact different, or if I am just crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the latter :D

Last edited:

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
If anyone is interested in those boots I posted a few days ago feel free to make me an offer. I wont be wearing them so they are just going to sit in a box in my closet when they could be getting used by someone who would enjoy them.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Pls excuse me if my question is addressed earlier in this thread; anyone have a pair of Nomads with a soft toe and leather soles? I'm very interested to see how they look if yes;) I'm obsessed with early engineer boots at the moment and am starting to plan for a pair. The Viberg 83s have my eye at the moment, but seeing as the Nomads can be had at about 60% of the cost, I'm hopeful that they can fulfill my interest.

These are the 83s I speak of- drool worthy IMO! (http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/2012/04/reader-mail_14.html?m=1)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Anyone have advice on early style engineers- with the soft flat toe- that won't completely break my bank (<$600)?

Last edited:

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Anyone have advice on early style engineers- with the soft flat toe- that won't completely break my bank (<$600)?

You have to do your research, the info is here and out there. You are asking for a coveted thing, those of us who are interested in this boot have spent way too many hours in search. Good luck

jimmer_5

Practically Family

White's and Wesco will both make a soft toe boot. If you order the Wesco "motor patrol" toe, you will get a more vintage looking boot. However, both of these boots have a more 1950's look. Both will be the best bang for your buck though and well within your stated budget.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Illumin8em, Jimmer, thx for the pointers. I've been talking to Kyle at Baker and will probably be going with a pair of custom Nick's (quoted me at around $500). Viberg quoted me at approx $725 but that is before shipping and customs. I am a bit nervous buying a boot sight unseen but I have a good amount of confidence in Kyle's advice, so hopefully it'll work out and I can save $300 or so. Cheers!

Last edited:

bikerpoizun

New in Town
After my recent experience with Wesco, I might be tempted to go with the $80 imported engineer boots, too. I decided I wanted a pair of Viberg engineers, with their stylish 310 last, but could not get any response from them until I complained on their blog. When I did get a response, it was in no way helpful. It seems they are only interested in selling to Japanese customers. So I decided the next best thing would be Wesco boots with a square toe to somewhat emulate the 310 toe, brass buckles, roughout black, and undyed midsoles. Custom options that aren't an extra charge.
When the boots came, disappointment was immediate. I could fit a beer bottle in the shafts alongside my legs. Even if I was the type of guy who tucks his pantlegs in his boots, it was ridiculous. After some time, I finally got permission to return them. Unfortunately, when they came back I noticed for the first time (since I hadn't even gotten the boot completely on before realizing there was no way I could pull my pantleg over the shaft) that the back of the boots had all the shape of a can of Pringles Potato Chips! Nothing but a cylinder and no "step" to hold the heel in place on either boot. Extremely poor construction. Not to mention that when they first arrived they were in plastic bags to protect them, and some pamphlets on their care plus a packet of boot oil were included. I had sent that all back with the boots, but when they came back they were just sliding around in the cardboard box with no protective packaging or anything else in the box whatsoever. I wore them today for the first time in six months after having clamps affixed to the boots all that time right above the heel to try to create something to hold my heels in place. Needless to say, that had little effect.
It appears to me that Wesco is a victim of their own success and the quality of the boot has taken a backseat- or has crashed through the back window and bounced back down the asphalt- to any concern about their customers or the quality of their boots.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
^^^ Geesh, I can understand the grief with a unsatisfactory purchase. It is true that Wesco does not shape the boot shaft, but after time as the shaft softens and fold with your movement, the shape of the shaft will not seem such an issue I believe. There is a fella at Wesco that can do a heel pinch for folks who find this area a poor fit, can't remember his name though.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
^^^ Geesh, I can understand the grief with a unsatisfactory purchase. It is true that Wesco does not shape the boot shaft, but after time as the shaft softens and fold with your movement, the shape of the shaft will not seem such an issue I believe. There is a fella at Wesco that can do a heel pinch for folks who find this area a poor fit, can't remember his name though.

His name is Pete, and he works in the custom fit department. The heel cups need to be heated up to soften the stiff material under the leather, THEN pinched. When they cool, they will retain the new shape. Theoretically, you can do this yourself, but I'm not brave enough.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
His name is Pete, and he works in the custom fit department. The heel cups need to be heated up to soften the stiff material under the leather, THEN pinched. When they cool, they will retain the new shape. Theoretically, you can do this yourself, but I'm not brave enough.

More info on this please. I'm brave enough to try as sending my boots back to Wesco isn't an option from Finland. (This is the only thing that bothers me on my Wescos. The shaft on my boots is quite narrow, so I'm surprised about bikerpoizuns experience....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy