Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

53Effie

A-List Customer
All I need is some funding to get the action started again. Dry cash supply here for the moment. Sure like those Ace boots.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Haha that's surprisingly true for me as well. A lot of nights by myself as the wife was clinging to an infant (or rather the other way around). An me left to my obsessions. At least here I feel like I'm not totally crazy

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on the new addition to the family! May GOD bless yall! :eusa_clap

My children gave me not only my gray hair that I refuse to color because I earned every last one of them but they also gave me the drive to read more! LOL! Love the family oriented atmosphere here and the great convos!!!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks all - she is really amazing, although I can't imagine doing this if you didn't want it. We really tried to prepare, but caring for a newborn is truly one of those things that you don't understand until you experience it. We are tired but extremely happy. Sorry to derail the thread so much - but, sort of on topic, I can't wait to buy her her first pair of boots! :)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Anyone have any experience/comments on the Frye Arkanasas boot?

http://www.discountfryeboots.us/frye-arkansas-engineer-frye-boots-sale-568.html

Looks like a helluva price. I'm sure they aren't as well built as Whites/Wesco, but I have lots of shoes and won't be wearing the crap out of them anyway. In addition, I like the natural colored midsole and that they appear to be slightly sleeker than most engineer boots I've seen. They are also made in the US.

I'm not a biker and am simply looking for a nice looking black boot that goes on and off easy. I figure I can't lose at that price and if I like the engineer boot look, I can graduate to a better quality pair later. Any help?

Don't know about the Arkansas, but I have a pair of the 12R Frye engineer boots that I've been really happy with, although I did get them on sale for $130. I don't think I would have been as impressed at full retail. Still, they are very comfortable and made of pretty thick decent leather.
I'd say for that price go for it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Frye's aren't what they once were!
I bought my wife a pair for her birthday and the top strap fell off after 2x wearing. They have become more of a fashion brand with most models made overseas...or at least their quality has fallen.
I owned a great pair 15years ago, and still have a pair of the Brando boots from 5 years ago- I love the look, but the sole isn't holding up as well as I expected.
At 50% off, you might give them a shot, but I wouldn't go full price on newer ones.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I have been scanning this thread for a while and wonder that nobody mentions Chippewa. Since I like a very high boot for use on my rides, Motor Trooper boots #71418 jump out at me. They look good on people I know who ride. Not quite as high brow as some posted here, but within my budget and suits my use.

http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Trooper-Boots-x2033-Chippewa/dp/B00G0DBXPM

Any experiences or thoughts?

Fed

It's my understanding that Chippewa has a few different lines, each is a different quality. I think there was a thread a few months back.

Don't have any experience with Chippewa engineer boots, but I wore two vibram soles off the bottom of a pair of their logger boots. Very comfortable boots. Wore them for construction work, I'll add, so the tops were fairly impressive too, in that they lasted through a second set of soles. Next time I'm in need of a pair I'll probably go with theirs.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
DH,

Yes, that was my experience with Chippewa in the distant past which left me with a favorable view. Mine only lasted through one resole, but I have never had another pair survive to that point. This combined with seeing a few pair on motor officers in this area led me to finally order a pair for my personal motorcycling. I like the high coverage in rough weather.

Will report back when I have something of value to add.

Thanks,

Fed

bretron

Call Me a Cab
For those of you on Instagram, you absolutely gotta check out Brian the Bootmaker, who owns a business in LA called Roll Call. Anyway, he's a bobafide Bootmaker and cobbler extraordinaire. Looks like real quality product. He's been posting some smut worthy recraft photos of vintage engineers on his account lately, and I'm pretty blown away. Doing the usual stuff like Cats Paw half sole treatments, relasts to smaller sizes, and even making steel toe engineers into soft toes (40s-50s style) and trimming the shaft height from 12+" to 9-10". Anyway, my next pair of engineers is absolutely positively going to be a pair of used ones that ill get recrafted by Brian. Just thought if pass this word along to fellow engineer fans

Sorry for lack of any addl info (price, website etc)

Last edited:

Kato

Familiar Face
I hv pre-ordered John Lofgren Badalassi Leather Cognac which will be released in April.

img59368239.jpg

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/speedway-shop/lk-003m/

This is so sad that they won't offer ORTENSIA×NAVY anymore....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred