Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ok, here are some pics of the new White's Nomads! It only took me three pairs to get to the classic black color. These are pretty much built to my "signature" specs - round toe (no option on White's anyhow), double midsoles, and Vibram Composition Half soles. Since White's uses a thinner Quabaug heel, I took a leap of faith this time and ordered the boots with an extra heel lift. This added an entire 1/4 inch to the height of the heel. I would probably have been happier with 1/8" extra, but I'm going to give it a chance. The heel did end up being the same height as the heel on the standard Nomads with Vibram 100 lug soles, so it should be manageable. Otherwise, they are just what I expected. The standard black smooth leather is very nice, and the build quality is superb as always.

I think the pics describe them better than I can, so here you go! I included some heel height comparison pics for reference.

Jimmer, saw the feature on VEB- congrats again man!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I went with double midsole plus vibram composition half sole, IMHO a double mid is required for a half sole. The buckle being visible depends on where you wear your jeans

Thanks mate, they look red hot....thinking of going .25 lower with. 90 degree heel. Cxl brown....it's keeping me awake at night!

simonc

Practically Family
Nice one Bretron, congrats, (I hope you got your Dustbowl issue sorted) I see wesco double stitch whereas Whites triple, what other differences are there between the wesco boss and the whites nomad would you highlight?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Simon, I'm all geared up to return the Dustbowl via Insurrection, and try on a few for reference prior to them remaking mine. I hope like hell I can get it squared away!

As to the above boots, ill defer to Jimmer on the differences between the craftsmanship of the Wescos and Whites (seeing as those boots are his). I've got some Whites Smokejumpers but not Nomads; and conversely I've got some Wesco MPs but not Highliners. In general though I think the quality is pretty much on par with each other. Tho there's something about my Wescos that feels better made than my Whites. On the other hand, I prefer the Arch Ease over the flatter Wesco last....

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Nice one Bretron, congrats, (I hope you got your Dustbowl issue sorted) I see wesco double stitch whereas Whites triple, what other differences are there between the wesco boss and the whites nomad would you highlight?

Simon,

Both White's and Wesco make a top quality product that will be well worth the money. You really can't go wrong either way. However, I will try to break down some of the issues so you can make an educated decision:

Fit / Sizing - White's seems to have a better handle on the custom fit thing. They care a lot about measuring your foot in several places as well as your calf. They will try to put you in a standard size (it will save you money) but they can also make you a custom last if you are hard to fit, have bunions, etc. White's are work boots (meant to be worn wit hthick socks) so they run about a half size large in my experience. Your mileage may vary. I believe Wesco CAN make you a custom last, but when I visited their facility, they handed me a few boots and had me try them on - that's it. They run true to size for me.

Arch support - I have owned boots by White's, Nick's, and Wesco. White's and Nick's sub scribe to the "Arch-Ease school of thought - they are built with high, rounded arch support, and they feel that this allows you to walk all day and feel great. Wesco builds a boot with standard flat arches like most shoes you will find. This is a matter of personal preference - I love the arch support on my White's, but someone with flat feet might not. It takes a little getting used to, but you adjust to it quickly. Don't like the idea? Go with Wesco.

Price / Options - This is nearly a wash, but White's Nomads are about $20 cheaper in standard format. White's only offers a few options, while Wesco offers a myriad of choices. However, customizing your Wesco's can get expensive quickly. Basic options aren't too bad with either company - double midsoles and Vibram Composition half soles with standard leathers have cost me about $450 from both White's and Wesco. If you want to go two tone, Wesco is the only real choice. White's will only do a very rigid two tone where everything above the vamp is one color.

Craftsmanship - People will argue this, but I think they're comparable. I like White's attention to detail and beautifully shaped heels, but my Wescos are beautifully built as well. Sure White's come with triple stitching, but the double stitching on my Wescos is stout.

Materials - Again, both are made with top quality materials. Both brands claim their standard oil tanned leathers are 8oz thickness, and I have found no reason to doubt this. Both use all leather construction and quality hardware. The instep buckles on White's are bigger than the ones used on Wesco - they are not obnoxious, but it's worth noting. The Wesco brown leather is very dark, while the White's brown leather is a very nice medium shade - it is my personal favorite if brown is the way you want to go. Wesco's leather softens up a bit more qucikly, while White's leather is a bit more stiff. Both age nicely, so again, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Kato

Familiar Face
Totally agree !

Simon,

Both White's and Wesco make a top quality product that will be well worth the money. You really can't go wrong either way. However, I will try to break down some of the issues so you can make an educated decision:

Fit / Sizing - White's seems to have a better handle on the custom fit thing. They care a lot about measuring your foot in several places as well as your calf. They will try to put you in a standard size (it will save you money) but they can also make you a custom last if you are hard to fit, have bunions, etc. White's are work boots (meant to be worn wit hthick socks) so they run about a half size large in my experience. Your mileage may vary. I believe Wesco CAN make you a custom last, but when I visited their facility, they handed me a few boots and had me try them on - that's it. They run true to size for me.

Arch support - I have owned boots by White's, Nick's, and Wesco. White's and Nick's sub scribe to the "Arch-Ease school of thought - they are built with high, rounded arch support, and they feel that this allows you to walk all day and feel great. Wesco builds a boot with standard flat arches like most shoes you will find. This is a matter of personal preference - I love the arch support on my White's, but someone with flat feet might not. It takes a little getting used to, but you adjust to it quickly. Don't like the idea? Go with Wesco.

Price / Options - This is nearly a wash, but White's Nomads are about $20 cheaper in standard format. White's only offers a few options, while Wesco offers a myriad of choices. However, customizing your Wesco's can get expensive quickly. Basic options aren't too bad with either company - double midsoles and Vibram Composition half soles with standard leathers have cost me about $450 from both White's and Wesco. If you want to go two tone, Wesco is the only real choice. White's will only do a very rigid two tone where everything above the vamp is one color.

Craftsmanship - People will argue this, but I think they're comparable. I like White's attention to detail and beautifully shaped heels, but my Wescos are beautifully built as well. Sure White's come with triple stitching, but the double stitching on my Wescos is stout.

Materials - Again, both are made with top quality materials. Both brands claim their standard oil tanned leathers are 8oz thickness, and I have found no reason to doubt this. Both use all leather construction and quality hardware. The instep buckles on White's are bigger than the ones used on Wesco - they are not obnoxious, but it's worth noting. The Wesco brown leather is very dark, while the White's brown leather is a very nice medium shade - it is my personal favorite if brown is the way you want to go. Wesco's leather softens up a bit more qucikly, while White's leather is a bit more stiff. Both age nicely, so again, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Kato

Familiar Face
This is my second pair of Redwing 2268 PT-91 which I bought it in the boots meeting with my friends yesterday.

The boots condition is excellent that it looks almost brand new.

(The toe at the right side has been polished , you may see the different with the left side )
2013-10-13-15-06-46_deco.jpg

2013-10-13-15-07-12_deco.jpg

I try to polish the whole boots with Bee wax this morning, this is so charming right? XDD
_MG_2705.JPG

_MG_2716.JPG

2013-10-13-15-04-57_deco.jpg

_MG_2707.JPG

_MG_2713.JPG

_MG_2708.JPG

_MG_2714.JPG

2013-10-13-15-06-05_deco.jpg

simonc

Practically Family
Thanks Jimmer, that was informative and helpful. Here are my thoughts, and I don't know if this comes into play for you but just about every whites boot I see is just pig ugly, in contrast to wesco which seem balanced with less "stuff" done to them, or added, even the shape of wescos seem more elegant to my eye, this could just be users customising the shit out of their whites and not the company itself, but that's all i have noticed so far. But your harness boots are just about the best whites i've ever seen. And like you I like a high arch, do you know if wescos offer an arch fitted into a custom boot? I couldn't see it on their custom page. I have an idea for a patrol boot.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
It was a slow Saturday for me, so I thought I put up a few evolution pics of my MF Road Champs. I've had these since the end of July, I think I've worn them 3-4 times a week since then. I'm Really impressed with these and they are still a long way from being done evolving.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I will add a rubber half sole when these wear down
image.jpg

FWIW I'm wearing the Gustin Super Heavy denim jeans

image.jpg

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
I received an email today from Iron Heart. One of the featured products is an engineer boot based on a collaboration between Viberg and Iron Heart. Has anyone else seen these and what do you think? They are sure a good looking boot. I think I'm about to be overcome by temptation!

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Hi guys. I'm a bit of a newb here. But as a rider, I gotta say this is a great thread. Love me some quality engineers. Best looking and most functional motorcycle boot made, IMHO.

I just want to add a player to the game here. Ace Boots of Orange Co. California. I was really lucky to run into a pair of these at a thrift shop near my home. Jumped on them. Have since contacted the maker, and love what I hear about their construction and quality.

Here's a look at them broken in. I believe they have a nice looking black too.

537ff6b00b9a11e3bcaf22000a1fbcb3_7_zps6ce84652.jpg

And my pair, which I'm breaking in:
IMG_1130_zps55db81f1.jpg

IMG_1720_zpsd9b2ec39.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I say don't sell em man! (Tho if they were a sz 10 if be singing a different tune :D ;) ) welcome aboard, bro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav