Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You
Then it must be a slightly different Shinki hide. My dye does not come off that way and I don't think Good Wear's does either if I remember correctly. I am guessing DD and JC use the same spec HH from Shinki because I have also noticed more grain from them and like breton said, McCoys have their hides pressed to remove grain. I think Himel gets the same spec as Japan because I notice his jackets being quite smooth and having dye rub off while my leather resembles pictures of Good Wear jackets more. However, I believe Good Wear and DD still are aniline dyed as was told to me by DD and as posted on the Good Wear website.

I know I have seen Badalassi cowhide on John Lofgrens which is absolutely stunning.
Oh, sorry. By hand aniline dye I mean mccoys probably uses the same aniline dye as Gw or dd but then hand dye/paint again with a thin coat of black. That's why I said they are dyed differently. You may notice that there are 2 mccoys j100 one is tea core I.e. Black over brown while the other is deep black i.e. Black over black.
Coming back to engineer boots, am in Tokyo checking out various Japanese engineer boots the past week or so. Phigvel, Makers horsehide, cushman, toys McCoy beck. The beck is quite nice. Makers uses very similar materials to the attractions same bottom sole, similar horsehide but different last/shape. Went to Brass/Clinch today too. Oh well, bought the Attractions on the first day here. The Attractions horween hh are too expensive for me. They are indeed thicker than the normal (Japanese?)hh.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
You
Oh, sorry. By hand aniline dye I mean mccoys probably uses the same aniline dye as Gw or dd but then hand dye/paint again with a thin coat of black. That's why I said they are dyed differently. You may notice that there are 2 mccoys j100 one is tea core I.e. Black over brown while the other is deep black i.e. Black over black.
Coming back to engineer boots, am in Tokyo checking out various Japanese engineer boots the past week or so. Phigvel, Makers horsehide, cushman, toys McCoy beck. The beck is quite nice. Makers uses very similar materials to the attractions same bottom sole, similar horsehide but different last/shape. Went to Brass/Clinch today too. Oh well, bought the Attractions on the first day here. The Attractions horween hh are too expensive for me. They are indeed thicker than the normal (Japanese?)hh.

Ah, I see. Yes my jacket definitely does not have an over dye of black.

I wonder how similar the Horween HH that attractions has is compared to what Role Club is using.
What were your favorites that you tried on? You're very lucky to be able to try all those amazing boots on. I would love to take a trip to Tokyo just to go shopping, haha.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
You

Very jealous! How do the Attractions fit compared to the others in terms of being able to take them on and off? I love my pair by their damn near impossible to get in and off right now, even more so than my Becks were.

Also, did you happen by any Craft-Rite? yoshi's boots look pretty incredible and are all made by him which I think is pretty cool

regius

http://www.ironheart.co.uk/hardware/ihwe-build-3.html

just arrived, unboxed, tried and reboxed, going back, =) the heel can lift up 1 inch and if i walk tip toed, i feel i can escape from them, this is size 8. With 7.5, the in-step curve is in the wrong place for me so it's really pressing against the roof of the feet.

The leather is Domain steerhide, the same Chippewa Original cherry uses. Chippewa (7.5) doesn't slip as much and feel more like James Dean.

regius

waiting on a pair of Craft Rite, which has a similar profile as the Wesco, and Yoshi recommended size 8.5! Now I'm scared.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Reg, sucks to hear that those IH x Wesco engineers won't work for you. They're incredibly nice. I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Craft-Rites. Best of luck, man

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
those boots are beautiful. Such a shame they won't work out. Those are my favorite Wescos I have ever seen. Saw them over on the IH forum and loved them.

Can't wait to see the Craft-Rites.

regius

Going back a few pages and you will see Ben's post on his custom cordovan colored Wesco in size 11D, they are essentialyl the same as these ones only with split soles, and according to Ben's description of cramemed toe and slipping, I would like to give the 7.5 another chance.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Going back a few pages and you will see Ben's post on his custom cordovan colored Wesco in size 11D, they are essentialyl the same as these ones only with split soles, and according to Ben's description of cramemed toe and slipping, I would like to give the 7.5 another chance.

I think you should! Different boots, but my Clark's db's were too tight at first and now fit loose almost. I think those boots are too beautiful to let go of!

regius

The Road Champs are out of production? Can't get a pair these days. They are quite odd looking, the instep is so high and the strap is truly around the ankle!

Blackadder

Very jealous! How do the Attractions fit compared to the others in terms of being able to take them on and off? I love my pair by their damn near impossible to get in and off right now, even more so than my Becks were.

Also, did you happen by any Craft-Rite? yoshi's boots look pretty incredible and are all made by him which I think is pretty cool

Ah, I see. Yes my jacket definitely does not have an over dye of black.

I wonder how similar the Horween HH that attractions has is compared to what Role Club is using.
What were your favorites that you tried on? You're very lucky to be able to try all those amazing boots on. I would love to take a trip to Tokyo just to go shopping, haha.

I have wide high arch feet so putting on the Attractions is a bit difficult as well. My Lone wolf are the easiest to put on next come the Beck. Attractions rank about the same as Buco Cordovan. Did not get to try the Clinch as they only do custom order and repair work and do not carry any stock at their little shop. Cushman is narrower than the Attractions and I have to go up in size. Since I went there looking for a pair of narrow toe 30s? type stock boots , my choice was between Attractions and Cushman. Went for the Attractions. The Beck will be a nice choice if I have money to spend on a second pair. Did not see any Phigvel in Tokyo but my friend bought a pair so already saw them before going there. As said, Maker's use similar leather and sole as Attractions but they are wider with higher instep so they fit well but not what I want. Not seen the Craft-Rite.

regius

I have wide high arch feet so putting on the Attractions is a bit difficult as well. My Lone wolf are the easiest to put on next come the Beck. Attractions rank about the same as Buco Cordovan. Did not get to try the Clinch as they only do custom order and repair work and do not carry any stock at their little shop. Cushman is narrower than the Attractions and I have to go up in size. Since I went there looking for a pair of narrow toe 30s? type stock boots , my choice was between Attractions and Cushman. Went for the Attractions. The Beck will be a nice choice if I have money to spend on a second pair. Did not see any Phigvel in Tokyo but my friend bought a pair so already saw them before going there. As said, Maker's use similar leather and sole as Attractions but they are wider with higher instep so they fit well but not what I want. Not seen the Craft-Rite.

Backadder, so you have a pair of Lone Wolf, and a pair of Beck. I doubt they fit the same, so which one has more heel lift? I also have high arch and require a bit work to put on the John Lofgren's, want to get another Japanese off-the shelf brand, thinking of lone wolf or Beck, Buco is too damn expensive and Attractions can't be reached.

Blackadder

Actually, I only tried on the current Beck in Tokyo (old Beck is almost the same as the Buco, current one has pointier toes). Both Lone Wolf and Beck are very similar. The Lonewolf have wider toe and higher instep and are more comfortable for wider feet. The Beck look sharper with pointier toes and wider welt. The bottom sole and heels are actually about the same between the two. It is quite possible that both Lonewolf and the current Beck are made from the same factory.

Last edited:

Kato

Familiar Face
Backadder, so you have a pair of Lone Wolf, and a pair of Beck. I doubt they fit the same, so which one has more heel lift? I also have high arch and require a bit work to put on the John Lofgren's, want to get another Japanese off-the shelf brand, thinking of lone wolf or Beck, Buco is too damn expensive and Attractions can't be reached.

I had Lonewolf before and now I has John Lofgren
I think Lonewolf should be more easy to put on than John Lofgren for you
However...I suggest you may consider Beck as I think the overall it is more cool....

regius

Kato, Blackadder, thank you both. I really fell in love with the profile of the attractions, but that guy only got back to me once, never heard from him ever again.

Blackadder

Kato, Blackadder, thank you both. I really fell in love with the profile of the attractions, but that guy only got back to me once, never heard from him ever again.

For your reference, I wear size 8.5 Lone Wolf and size 9 Attractions despite the fact that both are E width. The Lone Wolf are easier to get into than the Attractions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner