Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wearing impression: as you can see, there's an immediate and steep slope going up the shaft from the toe. One could almost pinch the ridge of the instep. This scared me at first, but soon I found out it's very very easy to put on and take off, the rough inside of the HH is unlike the American rough side we've seen, it's sort of pressed and flattened. The boot cages your foot like a cowboy boot would, 8.5 for me is roomy, I was wearing Wigwam white cotton boot sock, not the thickest but the thickest I'd wear. I could walk with confidence, the boots are light, so it takes getting used to. For a momenet it feels like you are stepping inside a cigarette pack, the HH is dry and paper like, but quite dense at the same time.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Nice man! Good God I need some brown engineers

Rios of Mercedes I believe?
Thanks and I believe they ae made by them. Thats what everyone says at least but you should get some. You always have some of the best boots on here almost bought the attractions u put up before u decided against selling them lol. If u havent tried out the newer murdocks I would say get a pair off the same seller I got mine off on ebay. If you dont like them they gladly accept returns :D

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! Cant wait to see them role clubs of urs :D

Believe me, I can't wait either!:D

Hopefully I will be going to his shop soon to get my feet measured.

I actually got pretty close to buying the new Murdocks myself before deciding on the Role Clubs. The shade of brown on yours is beautiful.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Well hop on it! Lol well they can be found cheap on eBay if u best offer them nothing wrong with more than 1 pair right?... And yes its beautiful i cant believe how awesome they are

haha you are really tempting me, but I really don't have the money right now. However, they are on my list as the shape is quite different than the Role Clubs... enough to justify having both;)

I have to wait until he sets up the appointment. He is still producing another run and won't start making mine until late February.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Update on Craft Rite wearing impression:

Worn them to work today, due to the interior height and width, the boots felt a bit empty, but it light so it's not like a ball chained to my feet. In fact, I could walk with stride pretty easily. The leather has yet to show crease, hmm.

Later on, I added insoles, wow, much improvement, now they fit really nice! The geometry of the engineer boots is magic.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Update on Craft Rite wearing impression:

Worn them to work today, due to the interior height and width, the boots felt a bit empty, but it light so it's not like a ball chained to my feet. In fact, I could walk with stride pretty easily. The leather has yet to show crease, hmm.

Later on, I added insoles, wow, much improvement, now they fit really nice! The geometry of the engineer boots is magic.

Nice did they come with leather insoles?

strokes1251

Practically Family
haha you are really tempting me, but I really don't have the money right now. However, they are on my list as the shape is quite different than the Role Clubs... enough to justify having both;)

I have to wait until he sets up the appointment. He is still producing another run and won't start making mine until late February.

Ahh I understand, same thing happens to me! Lol I'm aiming towards road champs or the black Murdock's maybe after my tax refund... Lol well that's almost here sure to be worth the wait!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Dude, what the heck, what's your size?

I'm basically between a 9.5E or a 10E depending on the maker. Brian doesn't make a lot of these boots and I couldn't get on the list until the late February production run. He does custom measurements for the boots which I think is great. It's even greater because he can measure my feet for me!

No creasing yet? Interesting... Just how light are they?

I've thought about some black Attractions or something, but I don't really wear black anything so I think I need to go for a different shade of brown next. Perhaps the Badalassi Lofgrens or maybe Brian's Olive steerhide...

MMOneSix

New in Town
Of course, one can always go all out and get a 2268 with all the flash... Lone Wolf Engineers for over $500.00. I just don't like how the buckles aren't shiny nickel or brass. I wonder if they can be buffed or shined.

sugar_cane_boots.jpg

After finding that Lone Wolf doesn't make a US 13, I found a killer deal on some RW2268s and contacted Brian the Bootmaker in Los Angeles to style them into these, with 40s repro brass roller buckles. All that and removing the steel toe I'll come out just under $500. Pretty damn good deal, IMO.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
After finding that Lone Wolf doesn't make a US 13, I found a killer deal on some RW2268s and contacted Brian the Bootmaker in Los Angeles to style them into these, with 40s repro brass roller buckles. All that and removing the steel toe I'll come out just under $500. Pretty damn good deal, IMO.

Pretty great solution to your conundrum. I think the Lone Wolfs look much nicer than RW so I can't wait to see how your customization turns out.

MMOneSix

New in Town
Pretty great solution to your conundrum. I think the Lone Wolfs look much nicer than RW so I can't wait to see how your customization turns out.

I agree with you 100%, which is why I was prepared to shell out the necessary $ to scoop the Lone Wolfs (Wolves? lol). I've also been tossing around semi-custom (I say "semi" because I wouldn't get the custom fitting) Wesco boots for over a year now, but two things dissuaded me:

(1) The wait time: I'm certainly not opposed to waiting several months for beautiful, custom, brand-new boots - and even to withstand delays - but the RW2268s were dirt cheap at near-new condition and will allow me instant gratification and a 3-4 week turnaround vs. 3-4 months, and; (2) I seriously cannot decide which toe to get on the Wescos! Lol it's been killing me for over a year. I love the MP toe, the Western toe, and of course the standard Boss toe - and I cannot for the life of me decide between them. So now I won't have to, and I can always swing a pair down the road already having the RWs.

So there it is. I really can't go wrong for less than $500, and to have some semi-custom Brian the Bootmaker engineers? I'm all in.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I agree with you 100%, which is why I was prepared to shell out the necessary $ to scoop the Lone Wolfs (Wolves? lol). I've also been tossing around semi-custom (I say "semi" because I wouldn't get the custom fitting) Wesco boots for over a year now, but two things dissuaded me:

(1) The wait time: I'm certainly not opposed to waiting several months for beautiful, custom, brand-new boots - and even to withstand delays - but the RW2268s were dirt cheap at near-new condition and will allow me instant gratification and a 3-4 week turnaround vs. 3-4 months, and; (2) I seriously cannot decide which toe to get on the Wescos! Lol it's been killing me for over a year. I love the MP toe, the Western toe, and of course the standard Boss toe - and I cannot for the life of me decide between them. So now I won't have to, and I can always swing a pair down the road already having the RWs.

So there it is. I really can't go wrong for less than $500, and to have some semi-custom Brian the Bootmaker engineers? I'm all in.

Good points. It's funny, the wait time dissuaded me from Wesco as well. However, the wait time for my Role Clubs will be even LONGER, and yet I still pulled the trigger. I guess that shows that if the wait time is dissuading you, then it isn't speaking to you enough. I think the same can be said for the toe shapes. If one didn't stand out, then they may not be for you.

Can't wait to see your boots.

MMOneSix

New in Town
Good points. It's funny, the wait time dissuaded me from Wesco as well. However, the wait time for my Role Clubs will be even LONGER, and yet I still pulled the trigger. I guess that shows that if the wait time is dissuading you, then it isn't speaking to you enough. I think the same can be said for the toe shapes. If one didn't stand out, then they may not be for you.

Can't wait to see your boots.

You may very well be right. I think taking a pass was wise for my first pair of engineers - I'll get to play with these and get a better feel for what I want down the road, and then put the $ to a custom pair.

ETA: here's what I'm working with. Absolutely pumped to get these back in a month or so and post an update.
32282E72-9D9C-42D8-99E9-823A2A256FE6_zpsbbzdugwf.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21