Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I just received my new White's "Nomad" Engineer boots on Friday, and they are fantastic! I wrote up review and included more pictures here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?64952-White-s-quot-Nomad-quot-Engineer-Boots!-New-pics-and-review&p=1474069&posted=1#post1474069

WhitesNomadBrown01.jpg

It would be great to see them once you have had the chance to break them in too.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
hey jimmer, congrats on finally getting them. I have been rather impatiently waiting for some photos to show up somewhere. Just curious, do you wear the same size in Wesco as you do in White's? I have a few White's and know my size, but am not confident on Wesco.

I wear a 13 in Wesco's and I wear a 12.5 in Whites (although I have tried on a 13 in White's and they fit well). The Wesco's come with a foam insole and they fit well with it in - I think they would be too big without it. The White's Nomads come with a foam insole, but they were too tight with the insole in. I think White's is adding the insole because Wesco does it, but they're not adjusting the size of the boots to accommodate the extra thickness. Normal White's lace-ups like the Smoke Jumper, Farmer/Rancher, etc, don't come with foam insoles, and they fit the same as the Nomads with the insoles out.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks Oldcrow, I will have to try the heat gun trick. Any specific advice or tips?

As for the Wescos' patina, it's surprised me - I normally keep boots better oiled and polished than this, but the wear started looking cool, so I have left them alone. I actually haven't been too hard on them, but they are aging gracefully.

billyb

Familiar Face
jimmer,

Maybe after breaking in the Nomads, you can try putting in the foam insert? I would think that after break in, there might be a bit of room to accommodate the inserts. I needed to put the foam insert out of my Wescos because they were a bit tight and the leather insole was not forming to my feet like I wanted. After the leather insole in my Wescos formed to my feet, I put the foam inserts in and the fit was spot on. They are custom fit though.

Just a thought...

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
I got these nearly a year ago but only started to seriously try to break them in maybe a month ago. I modeled these after a pair I saw on the great vintage engineer boots blog run by marineabilly.

I ordered these off Bakers website, they were incredibly helpful in my purchase and I recall receiving them a few weeks before the quoted 16 week wait time I believe it was... :).

Toe Pattern Motorcycle Patrol Toe
Shaft Diameter Standard
Top Strap Length Standard
Instep Strap Length Standard
Counter Leather Redwood
Size - 8.5 E
Thread Color (upper) Brown
Leather Configuration Two Tone
Top Straps Redwood
Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth
Toe Vamp Leather Redwood
Top Buckles Nickel Roller Buckle
Outsole Stitching color White, Midsole Double
Instep Buckle Options Nickel Roller Buckle
Sole Vibram 705 (brown only)
Heel Lifts Standard
Double Midsole
Edge Brown
Height 9"
Instep Straps Redwood

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Fantastic engineers!

I feel the only style missing from my collection of engineer boots is a two tone pair. Seeing the latest brown RRL's got me thinking and your beauties have nailed it!

Please post some more shots once they break in.

You guys have me really contemplating a pair of these...I don't have any money at the moment (mother in hospital and bills growing by the hour) but they sure are tempting. I just don't like the high(er) heels on some of them. Are there any with a lower profile? I'm already 6'-4", so I don't need any height, and I may end up with a Brit bike down the road so they'd be used for riding too...

D

Deleted member 16736

You guys have me really contemplating a pair of these...I don't have any money at the moment (mother in hospital and bills growing by the hour) but they sure are tempting. I just don't like the high(er) heels on some of them. Are there any with a lower profile? I'm already 6'-4", so I don't need any height, and I may end up with a Brit bike down the road so they'd be used for riding too...

Butte, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she makes a speedy recovery... so you can go out and buy those boots! : )

too much coffee

Practically Family
Yes Scott......very sorry to hear about Mom. She will be in my prayers.

And yes, you need those boots. That elevated heel does for a bike what Western boots do for horse riding. Better purchase on the pegs and stirrups. On the Wesco's you can probably get a lower heel. On the Nomads I'm not sure because of White's patented "arch ease" construction and a lower heel would interfere with a walking gait......one would feel like they're on a perpetual steep incline while walking.
When I was a Wildland Firefighter back in the day, the elevated heel assisted in digging in of the feet on a hillside.
Anyway, we all hope your Mom is going to get better real soon.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

Seawolf

Familiar Face
These are my custom Boss boots. I brought walking shoes with me on a trip, and opted to wear these instead as they proved to be far more comfortable for 8 mile a day walking. Btw, this is a cross post from the Iron Heart Forum, for those of you who might spend time there as well.

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

And these are my custom lace-to-toe Jobmasters. I know they're not engineer boots, but I thought I'd share anyway :)

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars

Take care of your mother Scott. Wesco and white's have both been around for about a century. They will be there when your able to.
For future reference, I can't say for certain about whites but I know wesco will build you an engineer (depending on the last, which I believe there are 3 - 4 different profiles) with a very short heel as in the motor patrol last
ebb57952.jpg

I just stole this image from TFL memeber seawolf
to a heel height equivalent of your cowboy boots like mine using a western last.
3adaa4f8.jpg

Mine fresh outa the box.
If white doesn't offer more than one last profile right now, my guess is they will in the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the kind words. Also thanks for the boot info. Really good stuff. I'd have to get a lower profile heel myself, even though I do wear western boots with a normal heel.
I have only ever worn bike-specific boots before, so these would be an adjustment. The question is will I (when I'm able) go to black, or something else. If I managed to go the Brit bike way, I guess I'd have to go black gear. Probably good as I have so much in browns.
I'll hit you guys up again when I get closer to buying. Good thread.

art89b

Familiar Face
Hey Jimmer, you got some beautiful boots man, congratulations. I can't wait to order a pair of Nomads for myself, I love the review and I love the fact that White's kept the "Arch Ease" on their engineers, since I have flat feet, and that supports me a lot. I also see that you wear a size 12.5-13, if you ever plan on selling some nice boots let me know, I will be more than glad to buy a couple off you =D. thanks man

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Thanks for the comments everyone. After re-reading my post, I feel kind of bad - perhaps I am being too hard on my Wesco's. The truth is that they are my favorite boots, and they are getting better every day. I am just frustrated with the heel fit - I have been wearing pull on western and motorcycle boots for 15 years, and I have rarely ever had this kind of heel slip and slop after over a year of wear. It is due to the shape and reinforced stiffness of the heel counter - it is too stiff to ever wrap over the top of the heel as is breaks in. Perhaps I need a narrower size. I will continue to wear and enjoy my Wesco's.

Old Crow, I thought your Wesco's were custom fitted? Glad to hear they work so well - they are a fantastic looking pair. I think when I need a resole, I will run up to Wesco and discuss my heel fit problem with them. Perhaps they can do something to help.

Yes! Pete at Wesco can do what they call a "heel squeeze." They heat the heal cup, and make it narrower. Hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner