Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Kato

Familiar Face
Jimmer, you got me seriously considering that distressed brown. Man, they're some badass boots!

(And get the MP toes for your black Wescos ;) )

The only best option is : Order both Wesco Boss PT toe and Whites Nomads in distressed brown color XD

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Jimmer, I agree with you about WESCO's color's. I feel the same way about the black. It is dyed through which means I'll never develop a rich deep patina is nerds love so much. I think a better looking black wesco, would be to take your brown ones and give them a hand (dye) job.
I really love everything about my WESCO's other than there specifications from the tannery. I've beg and pleaded and tried every which way to get them to make me a pair using something other than their stock, to no avail.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Jimmer, I agree with you about WESCO's color's. I feel the same way about the black. It is dyed through which means I'll never develop a rich deep patina is nerds love so much. I think a better looking black wesco, would be to take your brown ones and give them a hand (dye) job.
I really love everything about my WESCO's other than there specifications from the tannery. I've beg and pleaded and tried every which way to get them to make me a pair using something other than their stock, to no avail.

That's funny - I have been trying to get White's to do a two tone pair of Nomads, or even just a black pair with a natural colored welt, but they won't do it. I seriously considered buying another pair of Nomads in Distressed brown and dying them so I could get what I wanted. Now I am wondering if that would give the effect that everyone is looking for - black leather that turns brown over time.

It's too bad that Wesco's "Burlap" leather (natural color) is only 5.5 oz. It looks like it would be the perfect candidate for the dye job that would fad over time.

I chickened out because I have dye shoes before, and even when you mask well, dye likes to creep under the tape due to capillary action. I didn't want to risk ruining a $450 pair of boots screwing around with dye. Marineabilly has had good luck dying things - I'll have to ask if he has any tricks.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
By the way, my new black Nomads arrived yesterday. They look great, and I will hopefully get some pictures up tonight. I am not sure if the extra heel lift was the right idea though.... it feels pretty high! That's an easy fix though - I'm gonna try it for a while and see if I get used to it.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ya need aniline finished, not pigment dyed, hides. Black CXL will do the job!

That said, the idea of taking a brown boot and hand finishing it with black polish is very intriguing. I have absolutely no faith in myself to do what John has done with his RCs tho

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Ok, here are some pics of the new White's Nomads! It only took me three pairs to get to the classic black color. These are pretty much built to my "signature" specs - round toe (no option on White's anyhow), double midsoles, and Vibram Composition Half soles. Since White's uses a thinner Quabaug heel, I took a leap of faith this time and ordered the boots with an extra heel lift. This added an entire 1/4 inch to the height of the heel. I would probably have been happier with 1/8" extra, but I'm going to give it a chance. The heel did end up being the same height as the heel on the standard Nomads with Vibram 100 lug soles, so it should be manageable. Otherwise, they are just what I expected. The standard black smooth leather is very nice, and the build quality is superb as always.

I think the pics describe them better than I can, so here you go! I included some heel height comparison pics for reference.

thinker0217

New in Town
WOW, Jimmer, your Nomads are mouth-watering; the quality can be seen from the pictures. Congrats on the boots :eusa_clap
How long is current production time for White's?

thinker0217

New in Town
Quite a lot of old Redwing 2268 ( PT-83, PT91, PT99) can be found in Japan, you may find it in Japan Yahoo Auction and Rakuten market.

PT-91 was offered between 1991~1999 ( PT-99 was between 1999~2005), mine should be made around 1995~1999 as a Redwing emboridery Label is found

Kato, your PT91 look great. Congrats! The brown looks like about to come out on the uppers. Could you please check the material of the insole of your PT91 for me? Is it thick leather insole or some man-made materials? The insole of my PT91 looks like some cheap paper board, which bothers me a lot.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words! I ordered this pair on July 2nd, 2013 and they were delivered September 19th, 2013. That makes it just over two and a half months. I think Smokejumpers get built a little quicker, more like two months even - a guy at another forum ordered a custom pair of Bounty Hunters just few days before I placed my order, and he got his in just over two months.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Jimmer, those photos of heel hight comparisons are incredibly useful. Thx for sharing, and btw- awesome boots man!

Kato

Familiar Face
Kato, your PT91 look great. Congrats! The brown looks like about to come out on the uppers. Could you please check the material of the insole of your PT91 for me? Is it thick leather insole or some man-made materials? The insole of my PT91 looks like some cheap paper board, which bothers me a lot.

No problem.. here you are :

I the insole is made of leather while at the heel position it is made of some kind of felt material

20130921_220825.jpg

thinker0217

New in Town
Kato, thanks you for showing me. After seeing yours, I am pretty sure the insole of my PT91 is not made of leather. Perhaps it's due to different production year.

Tundra61

New in Town
I love my custom wesco's. have 3 pairs; harness, boss and morrison's. - however - when I ride I will only wear my Sidi Adventure boots. If you want protection and safety - they are the best you can get while still having a good luck.

I am just not a believer in slip on boots for motorcycle saftey.

pelican

New in Town

Wesco will make a custom pair out of any leather only catch is you have to provide it

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have any pics of natural CXL offered by whites? I'm interested to see what it looks like with some wear? I was about to order brown cxl nomads, but after seeing those cool distressed ones, I'm rethinking the whole thing. Also not very clued up re the different sole options. I have been on vibram site and no real help there either....just unsure what they all look like...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner