Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I just got a pair of Chippewa 27864 last saturday, I think old stock as not on the Chippewa catalog.
The leather is called "Bay Crazy Horse", from the information I had from Chippewa, it is oil based cowhide leather.

I am usually not so crazy about shoes or boots, but I just "fell in love" with the color and shade variations these haves. (unfortunately the picture below do not give them justice)
img_9962s.jpg

I have asked Chippewa about what to use to to avoid the leather to dry, and they recommend cream based conditioner, such as Apache cream. To water resist the boots, they recommend the use of Aqua Seal or Snow Seal or Welt seal.

As I do not know these products, could you please provide, if possible, some information about these cream and seal products??
By googling Apache cream, I have found one made by Justin and one made by Bickmore, is there any difference between these 2 products?? Is one better than the other?? Which one do you recommend??

Is a product like Obenhauf not recommended for such leather? In which way would it be armed??

by the way, Blackadder, the 1901M49 looks great, congratulations!

Fukigen - I see no responses, so I will take a shot. Meltonian is a good cream polish and I have used it for years. Fiebings makes a similar cream and I am using it on my new Chippewas, but I only have them in black. You might need to go to a better shoe shop to find the right creme color. Some western boot stores have these cream polishes as well. Both are like a stain with a wet polish carrier. The other items are brands and readily available.

Good luck with your boots!

Fed

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Fukigen - I see no responses, so I will take a shot. Meltonian is a good cream polish and I have used it for years. Fiebings makes a similar cream and I am using it on my new Chippewas, but I only have them in black. You might need to go to a better shoe shop to find the right creme color. Some western boot stores have these cream polishes as well. Both are like a stain with a wet polish carrier. The other items are brands and readily available.

Good luck with your boots!

Fed

I will add a little advice. The Chippewa "Crazy Horse" leather is similar to White's "Distressed" leather. This leather is very dry - a coating of good boot oil will do a lot of good for it. It will significantly change the color, but the change is only temporary. In about 2-3 days the leather will soak up the oil and the original color will return. Just don't overdo it, and don't reapply too often. I would say every six months or so.

Apache cream works well, but Bickmore "Bick 4" cream is the best. The Bick 4 cream is magic, and does not change the color of the leather. Give the boots some oil to nourish the leather, and use the Bick 4 to clean up any scuffs and for the occasional refreshing.

I like White's or Wesco's boot oil, but I think Red Wing sells some too. You can get the Bick 4 on Amazon.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Jimmer, been trying to PM you for advice re some Nomad engineers I'm keen to order.( your box is full)..Im wondering how they would come up in either natural or brown CXL...I wish whites had a few more options, buckle colour, strap length....I really like your collection...

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
I've got such an itch for these Wesco Boss with Motor Patrol shaft and toe caps that I mailed Bakers to see what the up charge is if they can even order them. I've got some 11" in brown ordered but..........
DSC03435_2.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Gee whiz Dickie, so,e serious boots there mate....does anyone know how long it takes for the brown to come through the black CXL on boots? Lots of variables I know, riding a motorbike for several hours a week and a few trips to the pub from time to time...I'm wondering if it's a 12 month progress or a 12 year job??

bikerpoizun

New in Town
What is a celastic toe? Tried looking online, but no explanations...
That's strange, I googled it and got 31,500 explanantions. What it is, is a cotton/flannel material that is formed to the desired shape and then soaked in glue or solvent which hardens it. It is used because it is cheaper, faster, less bulky, less expensive, and easier to use then doing something similar with leather. It is NOT plastic.

kyboots

Practically Family
I've got such an itch for these Wesco Boss with Motor Patrol shaft and toe caps that I mailed Bakers to see what the up charge is if they can even order them. I've got some 11" in brown ordered but..........
View attachment 9507

That's a heck of a boot ! I ordered a pair of 14 inch brown Wesco's about 10 years ago but standard shaft not the Motor Patrol and I love them. Sold them to a friend in New York 6 years ago when ordering another type of boot. Last year offered to buy them back and he would not even listen to me. Good luck! please send pictures!

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Somebody asked if it was on their website and they said it was, I don't see anything new there. It has people confused on FB if it's anything new at all, .. looks closest to the Western Boss toe in the drawing.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Somebody asked if it was on their website and they said it was, I don't see anything new there. It has people confused on FB if it's anything new at all, .. looks closest to the Western Boss toe in the drawing.
Yeah,I checked their website too, no dice...hopefully it will become a stock item at Bakers...if only Whites would let you play with strap length,buckle colour etc...I'm so close. They have been sitting in my bakers cart for 3 days.....keep on changing mind on little details....I'm hopeless!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Jimmer, been trying to PM you for advice re some Nomad engineers I'm keen to order.( your box is full)..Im wondering how they would come up in either natural or brown CXL...I wish whites had a few more options, buckle colour, strap length....I really like your collection...

Bunyip - I just cleared out my box. Let me know if you still have any questions.

wdw

One Too Many
For some reason I have an urge to get the Wesco Boss boots. Is there anywhere in the UK or even Europe that does stock boots?

If not, I was just going to go with Big Black Boots in the US and accept the hammering on customs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy