Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Well, I finally did it. I broke down and bought what I believe to be the last new old stock pair of Black Julian made RRL Engineer boots (in my size anyway). I got a discount, but it was still more than I wanted to spend. No pictures right now because the first thing I did was drop them off at the cobbler for a stretching. Perhaps I am crazy for buying yet another pair of boots with a known fit problem, but these are some of the finest engineer boots I have personally experienced. I did the math, and I can't find a way to get the same quality of leather and feature set for the same money that I put into these. As a matter of fact, it would cost significantly more.

I have owned a pair of the brown RRL Julian made engineer boots for several years now. I almost sold them a few times because they can be a challenge to put on and take off. However, they are so beautifully crafted, that I have not been able to part with them. Super thick leather, welted construction, longer instep straps with pointed profile - for me they are just about perfect. I also got a smoking deal on them when I bought them, so that helps.

This pair was more pricey, but after trying to work a deeper discount for two years, I finally broke down and just ponied up for them. Thus far I am really impressed - Julian also makes the Road Champs for Mr. Freedom, so I tend to feel that these are right up with them quality-wise (if you can ignore the fact that they need a stretching right out of the box) :)

I'll get some proper pics up as soon as I get them back.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Jimmer, you get just the toes or the shafts stretched as well? I can't handle the panic feeling associated with pull up boots that are nearly impossible to take on and off. I fear that my fight or flight instincts will kick in and I'll end up cutting the boots off!

Btw where'd you find them?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Jimmer, you get just the toes or the shafts stretched as well? I can't handle the panic feeling associated with pull up boots that are nearly impossible to take on and off. I fear that my fight or flight instincts will kick in and I'll end up cutting the boots off!

Btw where'd you find them?

Bretron -

The fit is not and issue once they are on - it's just the throat of the boot inside the shaft that is an issue. The shaft has a profile that tapers as it goes down to the foot. It looks great, but it really should have been less tapered. These boots got a bad rap as a result of this design feature.

However, the Julian RRL's can be made to go on and off easily with proper stretching. My brown pair are still a little difficult but I can get them on and off without too much drama. I need to have them stretched again - the last cobbler that did it stretched them dry, so they have shrunken back down a bit. The guy I have doing the new pair seems to be much better, and he will be thoroughly wetting them down and stretching them over a 24 hour period.

As to where I got them - I have been watching these on eBay for literally two years. The seller is not willing to negotiate on price beyond a small discount, so they hung around for a long time. I always planned on buying them eventually, but I didn't want to spend that much money. Mine were actually already a lower price because they were a large size, but still spendy.

Then, about 3 weeks ago, I noticed they had been sold. I was really disappointed, and started trying to figure out how I could get something similar made - that's when I realized that it would cost about $100 - $200 more to go through the process to duplicate the features and leather quality of these boots. I would need to buy my own leather, send it to Whites / Wesco, have the boots made, and then (if I really wanted to be authentic) send them off to have them converted to welt construction.

Long story short, the buyer ended up returning them (I assume because of the fit issues), so when I saw that they were relisted, I jumped on them. With the discount, they were actually a pretty good buy, just more than I am used to spending.

Here are some stock photos from the listing - not my pair, but they look just like this:

Last edited:
I like the looks of the tapered shaft on those. That, and being a little higher on the buckle side are two desirable features to me in an engineer boot.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Bobajobbob

New in Town
I recently purchased a pair of ELMC Engneers to replace my old RedWings because they looked lke a work of art and because I wanted to move away from the steel toe in the Redwings.

elmc Engineer boots 1.jpg

The ELMC boots arrived and looked beautiful out of the box but the fit for me just didn't work. The toe was too tight and the heel simultaneously was too loose. I thought very long and hard about whether they would wear in and improve but at 600 quid a pair I couldn't take a risk and they had to go back.

Ultimately I figured better the devil I know then the devil I don't and I went with another pair of Redwings. Great rugged boots very well made that look great.

rewing.JPG

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Just a heads up for other size 13 blokes out there, I just got an email from Road Champs. They are going into production right now for their first stock size 13 boot! About time...looking forward to it.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Yeah, that's really tempting. It's a lot of money, but I think the quality of the Road Champs is well established fact.

Bobbajobbob, interesting find with the ELMC Engineers. I had to look them up - they are made by John Lofgren, and they look very nice. Too bad they didn't fit. You should seriously look into a pair of White's Nomads or Wesco Boss. I think you will be very impressed with the quality, and at $400-$450 or so in US dollars, they'll be a lot cheaper than the ELMC boots.

Bobajobbob

New in Town
Yeah, that's really tempting. It's a lot of money, but I think the quality of the Road Champs is well established fact.

Bobbajobbob, interesting find with the ELMC Engineers. I had to look them up - they are made by John Lofgren, and they look very nice. Too bad they didn't fit. You should seriously look into a pair of White's Nomads or Wesco Boss. I think you will be very impressed with the quality, and at $400-$450 or so in US dollars, they'll be a lot cheaper than the ELMC boots.

They were beautifully made and looked and smelled fantastic but at least for my feet the fit didn't work. To say I was disapointed is an understatement. I was looking to really treat myself to a once in a lifetime pair of boots above and beyond my trusty old redwings but I now realise why I have so many pairs of redwings. They look and fit great at the right price.

I am a size 9 with quite a wide foot and the ELMCs looked like they really shouldnt be made this small. They gave my feet a slightly club foot look in that the sole and heal almost looked too big for the boot. The toe was also constricted while the heal was slipping. They just didn't work. Maybe in bigger sizes for bigger feet they would look and feel better.

The redwings of course have a steel toe and do not have the handmade feel and finish quality but the shape is great and they will wear in well. at £200 a pair I also won't be stressing the purchase like I was with the ELMCs.

Bobajobbob

New in Town

Originally I had been looking at a pair of Mr Freedom or other boots from the US but just decided, and it turned out correctly, that when buying on the internet better to stay local if you may need to return the goods.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
God ain't that an understatement! My last three pair of MTO boots needed to be returned for one reason or another. Thankfully, both WESCO and White's are only 3 and 5 hrs away from me, respectively, so shipping charges and hassles weren't really an issue. Would have been an entirely different story had they been made overseas (shipping charges, intl freight issues, duty/VAT, etc)

jimmer_5

Practically Family
God ain't that an understatement! My last three pair of MTO boots needed to be returned for one reason or another. Thankfully, both WESCO and White's are only 3 and 5 hrs away from me, respectively, so shipping charges and hassles weren't really an issue. Would have been an entirely different story had they been made overseas (shipping charges, intl freight issues, duty/VAT, etc)

To be fair though, don't you have a fairly unique foot/ankle shape? (No offense intended).

I will say, I forget sometimes that I have been measured twice by White's and Nicks, and I drove up to Wesco to try a pair on before ordering. I always recommend these made-to -order boots, but most people don't have the luxury of dropping by for a proper fitting.

That being said, being said, if you have an average foot shape, White's run a half size large, Nick's run a full size large, and Wesco run basically true to size if you use the provided insole. I don't use any insole with White's or Nicks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou