Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

BrianTheBootmaker

Familiar Face
I can not thank you all enough for the tremendous support. You all made it possible for this exclusive release. For those who are interested in the Role Club engineer boots you can now visit RoleClub.com for the details.

LouisBailie

Banned
I like eng type boots also but need current tech soles and heels that will withstand all fuels and acetone.
These Wescos are lined heavy cowhide and cost about $650 setup this way.

moto_0985.jpg
moto_0987.jpg
moto_0989.jpg

The sides of the heels and soles are drying and awaiting the final finish.

Double midsoles with 705 vibram half sole stitched to lower layer midsole and then both nailed /stitched/glued to upper layer. Then stack heel fitted sole/700 vib heel leveled, glued, nailed and blocked. Portion that is exposed is coated with flexible epoxy and huberds mix to keep it water resistant for riding.

The draw back is if you have to climb ladders this type setup is dangerous because you have a tendency to slip back towards the heel.

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
They were made on the last from West Coast Shoe Company that is made for higher heel over the ball of the foot, not the new flat vibram stuff. That is the way almost all were made back in the 40-90s.

These were made in 1996 and Wesco just screwed up the rebuild, the heels were ordered full block and they put on the nice girley boy heels, off they came and back together with the new blocked heels.

I just finished blocking the soles and heels then bees waxing the soles edges and heel blocks.

moto_0992.jpg

moto_0993.jpg

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
But with Wesco won't they include a refurb of some description in that price? If that's the case, the price isn't too bad. I know in the UK that Trickers a year or so ago were costing about £90 or $145 for a resole, again with some sort of refurb thrown in.

I have a couple of Wesco's and am only disappointed that it's not feasible for me to send the boots back there when the time comes.

What I asked for was a resole, not a rebuild. A rebuild is where they replace everything below the upper. When they resole the boots, they have to reshape the heels and welts and re-dye them, so you do get a fresh looking boot.

They told me that resoling the boots with half soles was a $40 upcharge, so a normal resole would be $135. I just figured it was worth mentioning because there are lots of fantastic options out there for similar or less money than $175.

LouisBailie

Banned
One of the little hidden secrets of the NW boot guys are the people at Baker boot repair dept, the do all the same work Wesco or White do using the same lasts and do it faster and cheaper....but who here cares about money.......

bretron

Call Me a Cab
John, I owe you a full fledge apology for that. My choice of words and the fact I used your buckles specifically as a point of reference was insanely low class and unfair. I came across as hostile, rude and discrediting- and to you of all people. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. And I'm truly regretful and sorry.

You have always been a gentleman to me and everyone else in the interwebs sharing your vast knowledge of engineer boots. I have done seriously wrong by not following in your example of grace and friendship. My sincere apologies to you. I am truly sorry.

Time to take a break

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
Does anyone here have wesco burlap? I need to know if it stains easily, and how it wears in? Finding it hard to find pics of burlap with patina.
Does anyone have any knowledge of black tie leather? I'm tossing up getting my new build in either burlap or black tie...
Cheers,

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Ok, after initially ordering replacements for my domain brown with the funny hard to look at heart breaking heels, I changed my order at the last minute to black domain. I agonised over burgundy domain, or brown rough out..I couldn't make my mind up. Then, out of nowhere I bit the bullet, made an emergency phone call with a couple of hours before they cut the leather and changed to black. I don't own a single pair of black boots. I have 2 decent black pair to wear with a suit. Zero on the casual side. I have never even owned a pair of black jeans ...I thought it was a staple that I needed, and I do ride a motorbike ( a black one!) anyway, so it's probably about time I owned some black kit....they will be here in a fortnight, so will be sure to post. Double mids, 705sole, 2" extra instep, vintage brass roller buckles, would pref nickel with black, but I thought I was going brown again, natural edges....looking forward to it. In the meantime, anyone got any new pics to post? It would be cool to see some boots with a bit of wear on them? Anyone?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Bunyip - it sounds like you've got a great looking pair of boots on order. Believe it or not, the brass buckles will look really good on those boots. It will give them an authentic vintage look. They look good on my RRL Julian engineer boots. I will eventually have a black pair of Wescos - two tone Brown Domain/Redwood shafts will be my next priority.

These boots are not mine, but they are my inspiration for a black pair of Wescos - I have a pair of satin nickel Hukurokuju buckles sitting in a drawer waiting for this build. The black domain leather is probably a good addition as well:

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Not to diminish your new pair, but these are the boots that derailed my Wesco order. This Chromexcel pair was the inspiration for the pair that ai ordered:

Here is my pair when they were brand new. I need to post an updated picture to show them broken in:

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Bunyip - it sounds like you've got a great looking pair of boots on order. Believe it or not, the brass buckles will look really good on those boots. It will give them an authentic vintage look. They look good on my RRL Julian engineer boots. I will eventually have a black pair of Wescos - two tone Brown Domain/Redwood shafts will be my next priority.

These boots are not mine, but they are my inspiration for a black pair of Wescos - I have a pair of satin nickel Hukurokuju buckles sitting in a drawer waiting for this build. The black domain leather is probably a good addition as well:

They look great! I agonised on going 2 tone, domain brown/domain burgundy, or rough out brown domain and smooth. It literally gave me many sleepless nights and head aches in the end. I was hopeless, could not decide, and the clock was ticking. I figured you don't see too much of the 2 tone effect while wearing them, and just couldn't commit to rough out for some reason, so I was at work, and had a brain snap..figured just go classic black, pulled the trigger on the spot I figure I can get fruity down the track. I like the cxl, with wear they should get better...I still think at some stage I will chase some nat CXL engineers, or I love that olive from Brian, and Nicks offer a cxl olive too.....in the meantime, got these boring black bad boys coming, and a pair of semi dress and bounty hunters left USA on Wed I think...so I will have sore feet for some time, and absolutely no need to be looking at anything footwear related. I will probably wear crocs all summer in Australia anyway...I don't wear engineers when I go fishing!

the duke of lafayette

New in Town
Hey gang,

Does anyone out there happen to own the most recent build of the RRL Murdock boot? If so I would love to see some worn in pics of them. There's not much out there of the most current model.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience getting any work done on their boots by Brass in Tokyo? I'm considering sending some boots there, and would be very interested in anyone's experience, good, bad or otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ