Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

2g4

New in Town
AFFINITY FOR ENGINEER BOOTS

I guess you can say I have a thing for engineer boots. Over the past 17 years, I've owned 20 pairs of engineer boots (give or take).

My newest pair with only about a week of wear are a pair of Japanese reprodction horsehide Buco boots. With shipping, service fee's, ect., I paid just shy of a $1,000 for them. My next pair in the shoot are going to be a pair of custom-made Wesco Boss' that will cost around $800.00. My contact at West Coast Shoes said he could link me up with their Japanese company to have horsehide WESCO's made - that's definitely an option and I'd love to try and have them reproduce the look of my old 1940's horsehide Engineers (below)

My most comfortable pair of Engineer boots are my current day Chippewa's. They break in really well and become soft over the years. I have this kind with the natural brown welt:
23353sm.jpg

One of my favorites (that I hardly ever wear) are the burgandy shorties pictured on the shoe rack. They are Japanese 1940's reproductions by an old company called Jubilee. They are rare, indeed.

My newest pair of horsehide Buco's fresh from the Post Man
BUCO1.jpg

P1030216.jpg

My loss - I sold these on ebay for 699.99 (Buy it Now) about 1.5-2 years ago an and regret it every waking day. These are vintage 1940's horsehide Chippewa's
CHIP1.jpg

CHIP6.jpg
Love the see the pix you tried to attach....if you have a moment

2g4

New in Town
I love the look of Clinch's Engineers, in particular the compressed toe box. Anyone has suggestions for other lasts which have this toe shape?

Attachments

• mpv2AR0.jpeg
    mpv2AR0.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 119

mlwdp

Familiar Face
Compared to Clinch Boots (Japan) or Role Club (LA), $800 isn't VERY PRICY. Brian's (Role Club) can run up pretty high depending on the leather selection, I think shell is around 3K. That's a very expensive boot. I love the look of Clinch and it's compressed toe box, but I have big feet and they're Japanese so I'm not confident of fit on them, and they're hard to put your hands on so I haven't had a chance to try them out. Wesco's Mr. Lou's do have a great reputation and those that owne them seem to love them

Depends on what you have done on your Wescos when they’re being built. Mine ran in the $1k plus range when all was said and done (Chromexcel leather, resizing, resole, leather lining, Japanese buckles, Dr. Sole sole).

Black Bear Brand is selling shell cordovan Wesco Boss in the $1k range right now.

You get what you pay for.

2g4

New in Town
Depends on what you have done on your Wescos when they’re being built. Mine ran in the $1k plus range when all was said and done (Chromexcel leather, resizing, resole, leather lining, Japanese buckles, Dr. Sole sole).

Black Bear Brand is selling shell cordovan Wesco Boss in the $1k range right now.

You get what you pay for.
I agree that you get what you pay for, and I am pretty accustomed to paying $700-$1200 for a great pair of new boots. I know a lot of people think this is nuts, and I'm not thrilled about it, but I like high quality boots that are made by craftsmen who are rewarded for their craft, so when you have more than 40 hours into a pair of booth, then that's going to be add up pretty fast. I'm proud to support american and japanese and canadian bootmakers and I hope that this support will allow them to continue making great boots. I see what Red Wing lets out of the factory for $300-$500 and it's pretty bad in terms of attention to detail and quality control. Crooked welts, glue on the vamp, poor leather selection and placement. If that's what you get for $400, then $800 for a viberg seems about right.

Finally, I keep these boots forever. I've been wearing a pair of Alden Indy's in shell for 20 years. Despite three resoles, I'd spend less per year than your average person, if I didn't have too many boots that is, lol. But those boots I bought young and couldn't afford a lot of others, so they got worn four times a week for 15 years.

PS those Wesco X Black Bear's are pretty insane, and closer to 2K. thx for the tip

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Curious about the sizing ? What did you reference when buying these?
I have other attraction boots. A lot 268 in size 9.5 and a size 9 444. I took a chance with the size 9 with these. These are made longer so the flat toe would be completely flattened after wear. Personally, i dont like them cos they are too long by design.

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
Try not to laugh. Frye Duck Engineer boots.These aren’t your typical engineer boots. Ive always had a soft spot for Frye boots as my 1st pair of engineers back in the 70s were Frye. A local guy had these for sale. Brand new for $75 So I couldn’t resist. At first glance I thought they looked weird but once I took a closer look at them I realized they are quite a unique and well made boot. I thought they were rubber but it turns out they are all leather of a substantial thickness too. They will be great for the winter here. They retailed for around $400 I believe.
DCB438BF-0F11-438F-BB54-3CAFD6AAC40B.jpeg
D5E58348-0F0B-428F-B393-28D6F505903E.jpeg
2E5C3521-7E83-454E-9B0E-DC9F8EB8B27C.jpeg

Jiaward

One of the Regulars
Try not to laugh. Frye Duck Engineer boots.These aren’t your typical engineer boots. Ive always had a soft spot for Frye boots as my 1st pair of engineers back in the 70s were Frye. A local guy had these for sale. Brand new for $75 So I couldn’t resist. At first glance I thought they looked weird but once I took a closer look at them I realized they are quite a unique and well made boot. I thought they were rubber but it turns out they are all leather of a substantial thickness too. They will be great for the winter here. They retailed for around $400 I believe.
View attachment 502224 View attachment 502225 View attachment 502226
I'd be all over those even in California. I remember cold wet feet from back home. Great find.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 502224 View attachment 502225 View attachment 502226

You know what, reading your description I expected to hate these, but as I scrolled down I was pleasantly surprised. They look just like a regular engineer boot with an interesting design on the toe (would pair nicely with an Aero Sunburst!). I like the idea of a duckboot from pov of warm and dry feet, though have always shyed away from them on the twin basis of not wanting something that would be expensive to buy and import (I've never seen them in the UK), and where the soles were glued in / not replaceable. These look like a Goodyear welt arrangement, though - and a good compromise between style and the utility of a duckboot. The fleecy lining also appeals. I've had half an eye out for a cheap pair of old Bundesmarine boots this Winter - did find some NOS at an excellent price in a UK surplus place, but hesitated too long and they sold out of my size.....

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
You know what, reading your description I expected to hate these, but as I scrolled down I was pleasantly surprised. They look just like a regular engineer boot with an interesting design on the toe (would pair nicely with an Aero Sunburst!). I like the idea of a duckboot from pov of warm and dry feet, though have always shyed away from them on the twin basis of not wanting something that would be expensive to buy and import (I've never seen them in the UK), and where the soles were glued in / not replaceable. These look like a Goodyear welt arrangement, though - and a good compromise between style and the utility of a duckboot. The fleecy lining also appeals. I've had half an eye out for a cheap pair of old Bundesmarine boots this Winter - did find some NOS at an excellent price in a UK surplus place, but hesitated too long and they sold out of my size.....
it’s funny how sometimes we dismiss something at first glance, but if we stop and take a closer look, our opinion can change. I am looking forward to wearing these next winter. They are very comfortable. Full grain leather and Goodyear welted.

Edward

Bartender
it’s funny how sometimes we dismiss something at first glance, but if we stop and take a closer look, our opinion can change. I am looking forward to wearing these next winter. They are very comfortable. Full grain leather and Goodyear welted.
Definitely. There's a lot of stuff I once would not have worn that has really grown on me over time.

Tyler Durden

New in Town
I have other attraction boots. A lot 268 in size 9.5 and a size 9 444. I took a chance with the size 9 with these. These are made longer so the flat toe would be completely flattened after wear. Personally, i dont like them cos they are too long by design.
Sad man... Those things look amazing !

Edward

Bartender
I love the look of Clinch's Engineers, in particular the compressed toe box. Anyone has suggestions for other lasts which have this toe shape?

Wesco do - the MP shape, I think they call it. It seems to be a common option in the more expensive stuff (and espcially across a lot of the Japanese brands) as well. I still live in hope Aero eventually do their own take on an EB. If they did something akin to that shape around the price of their fleece-lined NVG style boots, that would be something. Maybe to be hoped for when they find a new boot supplier (the one they've been using for some years now gone owing to retirement).

Mr_Saver

New in Town
Anyone here own a pair of Clinch Engineers? I have a (secondhand) pair of Clinch Yeagers and I'm kind of surprised that I don't like them more. They sort of feel like they don't have a shank. They are very flexible side to side. The only other boots I have that are like that are like mall brand type stuff like Bostonian, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko