Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ENIGMA

Drew B

One of the Regulars
ENIGMA!!!

Warden said:
Yes I have the film on DVD, the plot I think is OK until the end, when it is just silly.

It was also a shame they did not use the 'real' Bletchley park for the filming,

Harry

hey, i liked the ending, i thought it was good. And i loved wigram as a character, he was so hateable but likeable at the same time. Oh and apparently the producers thought the actual Bletchly Park wasn't "Bletchly Park" enough so they used somewhere else. A bit silly that, really :p lol .

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Okay okay wait a second!!! Everyone keeps saying that this belongs in a museum... Well! I know there are several Indy fanatics and followers here! Let's go get it!!! Track down the seller and the buyer and let's put it where it belongs! :D :D

Okay to get more on track! I've made a list of the afore mentioned books as this type of thing always ranks high on the list of interest piquing subjects. Quite often on the History channel when they run a WWII week or weekend they'll have fairly lengthy sections of shows dedicated to the capturing of and breaking the codes from the Enigma machine. Always interesting. Thanks all for the info!!

Eyemo

Practically Family
My friend owns an original Enigma... He takes it to events and displays. he's not preciouse about it, just loves the fact that people take intrest.

Warden

One Too Many
Good to see Bletchely Park in the news again. This time because it has won an engineering award of replica of a machinewhich helped Allied forces crack the Nazi Enigma codes in World War II.

_45592760_bletchleyparkbombe008.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/7959298.stm

Harry

Old School QD

New in Town
I got to see an Enigma machine in person a couple years ago on November 11, Remebrance Day. The annual ceremony I attended was at Intrepid Park, Whitby, Ontario, Canada which is named after The Man Called Intrepid and located upon the grounds of Camp X, the first espionage training centre in North America during WWII. After the ceremony, attendees were invited back to the civic building where there was a reception with intelligence officials and historians. The machine was sitting on a table where we could potentially have played with it, but we were much more reverent than that. A very interesting machine with an incredible history.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Marian Rejewski, Jerzego Różycki i Henryk Zygalski
They defeated the enigma:)

They provided the basis for all of the work which followed, and have been generally denied the credit they deserve.

:cheers1:

( I suggest that Josef Garlinski's The Enigma War is essential reading.)

For those who like to play "what if" :

Without the major head start provided by the Polish mathematicians and Polish intelligence, Enigma might have remained opaque for many additional months, tipping the balance in the North Atlantic naval war in favor of the Kriegsmarine.

The world would be a different place !

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
North Africa

Without the major head start provided by the Polish mathematicians and Polish intelligence, Enigma might have remained opaque for many additional months, tipping the balance in the North Atlantic naval war in favor of the Kriegsmarine.

The world would be a different place !

Not just the Atlantic, but North Africa also! Thats why I hate to hear any Polish jokes, they were and still are smart people!

Carnage

One of the Regulars
Last week at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office I had the pleasure of seeing an Enigma machine and speaking to a few people who worked at GCHQ and some who were part of the Government Code and Cypher School during the war. It was really an education to speak to some of the people who were there in Bletchley Park during the war years.

Actually one of the things I enjoyed the most was one little old lady who said she loved listening to this series on the radio
It's called Hut 33 and is a comedy radio show about the efforts and struggles of code breakers in WW2. She said that it was far more accurate than the producers could ever realise....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m0ld0/Hut_33_Series_1_Oh_Brother_Where_Art_Thou/

kowalski

Practically Family
W4ASZ, and Stearmen, not to mention KOŚCIUSZKO ! and Puławski :) Poland is a good nation, just a little tired of living , :) best regards

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24